from an almost complete HD novice

birdseye

Reaction score
well not quite - I had an iron head sporster 10 years back. But today I tried a new Fat Boy and am quite tempted. Didnt have time to sit and chat with the salesman and in any case he's a dealer employee. So I have a few unanswered question:

1/ What would be the best sort of removeable screen for a fat boy
2/ luggage - I use the top box on my gs a lot. whats the equivalent fatboy luggage
3/ I would need new bars with a bit more pull back - I was a bit too U shaped riding the bike. Again, what and where?
4/ Is it possible for a short ar5e like me to bring the footboards and pedals back maybe 3 inches?
5/ I dont take pillions so whats the best tractor type single seat. I'm average size and weight.
6/ the demo bike had really loud slip ons - fun for 10 minutes but a pain for more than that. whats the best compromise non standard exhaust for someone who wants a decent sound but not deafening

well not quite - I had an iron head sporster 10 years back. But today I tried a new Fat Boy and am quite tempted. Didnt have time to sit and chat with the salesman and in any case he's a dealer employee. So I have a few unanswered question:

2/ luggage - I use the top box on my gs a lot. whats the equivalent fatboy luggage
3/ I would need new bars with a bit more pull back - I was a bit too U shaped riding the bike. Again, what and where?
4/ Is it possible for a short ar5e like me to bring the footboards and pedals back maybe 3 inches?
5/ I dont take pillions so whats the best tractor type single seat. I'm average size and weight.
6/ the demo bike had really loud slip ons - fun for 10 minutes but a pain for more than that. whats the best compromise non standard exhaust for someone who wants a decent sound but not deafening

1. Not sure but someone will know.
2. Have a custom made rack on my fatboy slim and throw everything on that. :thumb
3. Don't know. But the "Hollywood" bars on the Slim are flatter and dirtbike like.
4. The Slim is quite low and perfect for short arses. I'm 6 2" and still find it comfortable.
5. Again the Slim has a single seat as standard. Perfect. :)
6. It's the law to have a load pipe on a Harley. See the Southpark "Harley Fags" video on you tube for more information. :D

So in summary.

Get yourself a Softail Slim instead of a Fatty. :thumb2

Harley will do a screen for the Fat boy, or buy a Softail Heritage

2/ luggage - I use the top box on my gs a lot. whats the equivalent fatboy
luggage

Soft Bags... Again, have a look... Only an Electra glide can have a top box, it's the law..

3/ I would need new bars with a bit more pull back - I was a bit too U shaped
riding the bike. Again, what and where?
Beach Bars.. Google them...

4/ Is it possible for a short ar5e like me to bring the footboards and pedals
back maybe 3 inches?

Most kits I've seen push them forward, not back.... Look at softail slim, its lower

5/ I dont take pillions so whats the best tractor type single seat. I'm average
size and weight.

Le Pera seats look good on Fat boys, not certain if you can get sprung seats on a fatboy.... Edit, Pingu had a spring seat on his fatty, he wil be along in a mo to advise..

Loud or quiet your choice [\Quote]

Re: Question 4. Another option instead of trying to move pedals etc back is maybe to get a seat that alters your position. IE. pushes your arse forwards. I know on the Road Kings a seats made by Mustang has that effect whereas a Corbin pushes you further back. Maybe an option.

5/ I dont take pillions so whats the best tractor type single seat. I'm average
size and weight.

Le Pera seats look good on Fat boys, not certain if you can get sprung seats on a fatboy.... Edit, Pingu had a spring seat on his fatty, he wil be along in a mo to advise..

]

As if by magic, the shopkeeper appeared.........:D

Sprung tractor seats on a soft tail look as cool as a cool thing....I know mine did...:thumb2 however.....just don't, especially if you occasionally press on a bit....hit a bump in a corner and the different harmonics of two sets of springs will a) make you as sick as a parrot....and b) reduce your control of the bike.....:augie

However, if looking cool is worth it, then fill your boots.....nothing off the shelf fits straight on, we'll it didn't a couple of years ago, you'll need to make up a steel, tray to replace the place one under the seat to mount to..I'll dig out some photos on my return....

image_zps399a2bb8.jpg

Last edited:
Aah yes I overlooked the tractor seat part. In which case, have a little look at these:
http://www.oldtimerservice.riders.pl/part1.htm

I was looking some time ago with a view to putting one on mine. I did'nt in the end but found these. He's a Polish fella that replicates the old Mesinger style of seat. They look far nicer than most of the 'Made in China' tat that is out there.

Back
Top Bottom