Morocco via France/Spain

(RIP) willstatt

Lost
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We're just planning our route for our early April trip to Morocco. We've always planned to Motorail across France, then ride the rest of the way, as it gives more time in Maroc. Big shock therefore, to find Mrail website saying that Motorail doesn't start till end of May!!! Is that true?

I'm going to try and get info on Spanish Motorail, so that we can ride France and train Spain.

We only have 2 weeks, and want as much time as poss in Maroc. From experience it's a hard slog trying to cross Spain and France quickly. We've done the ferries (Santander/Bilbao) before and they're expensive and so boooooooooring.

What route are you many other tossers taking?

Will

Three days of almost constant riding or get there a couple of years ago convinced me never to do it again. I'd probably do the Portsmouth-Bilbou ferry next time and allow another two days to get to get there.

Yes

Yes it IS about a biking holiday. But we want to be doing as much as poss. in Morocco, Not ambling through France and Spain (both ways) using up our valuable time.

Laughing Bob has clearly done what we've done in the past... nailed it down there in three days. 400-600 miles per day depending on what route, and by the time you're at the Ferry at Algeciras... you're knackered. I totally agree with him. I don't want to do that again as it's not the sort of biking I want.

It would be no problem if we could get a month off.

Anyway, am now negotiating with a van man that I know. he already does regular trips to Spain. So I'm gonna see how much he wants to take 3 GS's in the van. and then we can just Easyjet it to Malaga or Murcia or somewhere southern, and get straight into the real biking.... and Fresh.

However, would still appreciate any alternative methods/suggestions.

We didn't enjoy the ferry...

Will

Will,
I want to do Morocco on the GS, looked into it and decided to fly and rented a car, did it in March, when there was loads of snow across the Atlas so good job I had 4 wheels.
There is no way round it, sorry to say you have to take 3 days to get to South of Spain, however you idea about a van is ok if it is not to expensive.
I would advise trying to get more time off and making the France Spain a fun part of the holiday. I often ride down to Bordeaux, about 600 from Calais, I only take the Autoroute from Calais to Rouen then take the D roads as there are less cops/radar, see the bikers blog to see a map of radar sites: http:blogs.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf
have a good trip which ever way you decide,
Barrie.

Is your glass half full or half empty?

Do it non stop in a day and a half your sense of achievement will last for many years and you'll big a big hit with the girls!

A consession could be non stop in one direction and 3 in the other.

Leave Derby Friday around 9:00 pm for a clear run down to the chunnel for a midnight train (catch a few minutes nap on the floor).

Arrive France (an hour ahead) at 2:00 and put in 5 hours at an average of 80 mph and stop for a good breakfast.

After breakfast you've got a nice 900 mile blast.

In October 02, Wreford Miles and I rode from north London to Erfoud, Morocco in 3 days. It can be done.

The weather was fecking cold in France, pleasant in Spain and absolute shite in the Rif Mountains of northern Morroco - a longer route we took to see the countryside.

We also did the return trip from Erfoud in 3 days!

Frankly, I would have thought that motorrails and such like would actually be slower than getting your head down and covering the miles on the bike. But it's your holiday!

Greg

Will...

Come on set a new record... That way the long slog will have a purpose and be fun.

Leave derby Friday night and reach Erfoud Sunday night.

Then take your time coming home

Do it for charity mate...

Gentlemen has this turned into a Ducati forum? Too cold to travel? Do overnight Portsmouth - Le Harve 1 day takes you to Bordeaux Day two takes you to Madrid great riding and turn up heated grips

Bikers?

Blast across in a day. When I rode down here in November once, it was very cold and I got held up in the UK so never got out until mid afternoon. I was forced to stop in Troyes as it was dark, cold, wet and miserable, but still hacked on to Nice the next morning...In the pouring rain (well until Orange), then arrived in the sunshine. Three days to cross France?...pah! The mysterious ELK made it from London to Nice in a day...no problems. The occasional stop for a Marlboro and a French service station coffee was all the man needed....Go for it. By the time you tell your grandkids about the story, you'll have been the fastest GSer across France (well apart from moi)...

Rob

Re: Bikers?

franco said:
you'll have been the fastest GSer across France (well apart from moi)...

....and Wreford and me.

We both rode back to Hertfordshire from here in a day!

:moped:

Greg

Attachments

• untitled1.jpg
    untitled1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 193
Re: Bikers?

franco said:
Blast across in a day. When I rode down here in November once, it was very cold and I got held up in the UK so never got out until mid afternoon. I was forced to stop in Troyes as it was dark, cold, wet and miserable, but still hacked on to Nice the next morning...In the pouring rain (well until Orange), then arrived in the sunshine. Three days to cross France?...pah! The mysterious ELK made it from London to Nice in a day...no problems. The occasional stop for a Marlboro and a French service station coffee was all the man needed....Go for it. By the time you tell your grandkids about the story, you'll have been the fastest GSer across France (well apart from moi)...

Rob

The three days was to get to Morocco:D

I've ridden from Aylesbury to Geneva in a day, about 720 miles. It was a very long day, especially as I missed the ferry:mad: It pissed down all the way. I was knackered but, was fine the next day. Doing the same mileage for three days in a row and it took me a week to recover, infact I'm still recovering and that was two years ago :mmmm

Re: Re: Bikers?

Greg Masters said:
....and Wreford and me.

We both rode back to Hertfordshire from here in a day!

:moped:

Greg

Michty...how far was that then? Ironbutt-ola! I don't mind long rides like that...I prefer to head down quick then spend more time there. For a lot of people, the journey is part of the holiday though. Each to their own...

Re: Re: Bikers?

laughingBob said:
The three days was to get to Morocco:D

I've ridden from Aylesbury to Geneva in a day, about 720 miles. It was a very long day, especially as I missed the ferry:mad: It pissed down all the way. I was knackered but, was fine the next day. Doing the same mileage for three days in a row and it took me a week to recover, infact I'm still recovering and that was two years ago :mmmm

Ahhh, I see. Still recovering? Well at least you're still laughing :D

Re: Re: Re: Bikers?

franco said:
Ahhh, I see. Still recovering? Well at least you're still laughing :D

It's the only thing I have energy to do:D

Bob if your asking Greg and I?

Yes it was barking... especially when you consider the day before we'd ridden 600 miles and the day before that 430 across Morocco.

Mind you the day befor that was only 70 miles on desert piste!

But the day before that we'd crossed Morocco the senic way that's 500 miles and the first 130 took 5 hours!

The day before that was an easy 640 and the day before that a nice 680 to warm up!

And the 1120 miles we'll it took me just over 19 hours and included blocked roads and channel tunnel delays. Greg took a little less.

FYI ...We left at different times and took different routes, doing that kind of milage in one go is a personal thing

Hard biking bastards...

Well, since I'm one of the three amigos doing this proposed Moroccan jaunt, I have to say that everyone's opoinion above is equally valid, depending on their preference!

Will and I have, in days of yore, done Calais to Milan in one hit...so it is perfectly possible (if our age hasn't got the better of us) - and the third member of our team is but a babe in arms, comparatively.

I think we'll just have to 'take a view' once we get across the channel (if the van idea is too expensive). If all the factors are right (weather, traffic, Will's lumbago and piles etc) I think we'll probably just get on with it and blast the journey.

As they say.."the first casualty of war (read motorcycle trips) is the plan".

Charlie

Back
Top Bottom