Accessory socket for 650 Dakar

nick

Reaction score
Where is the best place to mount a 'cigarette lighter' type socket and how/where is the best place to tap into a fused/switched feed ?

I saw the Autocom unit (in another discussion thread) installed in the tail section, but I need a socket for my GPS unit nearer the front !!

My 04 Dakar comes with an accessory socket as standard, it is on the LHS under the frame as the frame nears the foot peg.

I take it that you have an older Dakar without the accessory?

I wouldn't be so rude :)dabone) as to suggest taking a look at yours:D

hope that helps

Spout will pipe up soon an' give ya some ideas!
tim

When I had my '01 F650GS, I put the socket (a marine quality one) on a short lead, so that it just hung loosely, tucked behind the radator cap when not in use.

When the GPS was on, I just lfted it out and stuck in the GPS plug, so both leads were nice and short.

The wires came direct from the battery, with a 2 amp? inline fuse connected to the postive terminal and just tucked through to above the rad through a gap at the front left of the battery holder. (I guess it'll become obvious if you take a look).

Incidentally if you want to get to the battery you only need to undo six screws holding the centre panel. There is sufficient flexibility in the plastic side panels to simply spring the tabs out of the centre panel, with a gentle bit of wiggling. You don't even need to take off the oil-tank cap.

Reverse assembly is similar, just flexing the side panels a little to get the tabs into the slots. It's a very quick job to carry out especially if you have a screwdriver with a selection of 'torx' bits rather than the "L" shaped tool in the tool-roll.

More info at the F650 website for UK & Ireland owners

Cheers, Trevor, Bristol, UK.

On my '04, there is a spare power connector hanging off the loom on the right side (airfilter side) which will take a standard bmw power socket. This would reach the handlebar area easily. I can see it in the gap behind the right hand fork without taking anything off the bike.
PB

timmy said:
My 04 Dakar comes with an accessory socket as standard, it is on the LHS under the frame as the frame nears the foot peg.

I take it that you have an older Dakar without the accessory?

I wouldn't be so rude :)dabone) as to suggest taking a look at yours:D

hope that helps

Spout will pipe up soon an' give ya some ideas!
tim

My 04 Dakar does not have this, looking at the brochures I believe it was an option.

I think it can be fitted later and costs around £50. I will visit my local dealer this weekend.

nick said:
I think it can be fitted later and costs around £50.
My version described above cost me £3 and actually has the "correct" cigarette lighter-size socket on the end for "most" applications.

I think you'll find the BMW one is the 'mini' version, which only fits BMW goodies, unless you pay another £15 (or thereabouts) for an adaptor lead.

Cheers, Trevor, Bristol, UK. F650 website for UK & Ireland owners

Back
Top Bottom