Crosstourer top box.

mark2jag

Reaction score
Stop me if you have heard this one.

There was this guy, right, who had a Crosstourer, and it had a genu wine Onda topbox on it.

Anyway this guy decides he is gonna put his laptop in his topbox, and then ride in the rain.

Can you foresee the chain of events that unfolds after this course of action.

Well, I CAN and I am a KNOB with a capital K........

Discovered that aforementioned Laptop has turned into V expensive doorstop.

SO.......... My question is.

If you drop buttered toast on the floor which side is it most likely to land on. Err no that's not it.

How the feck do you waterproof a topbox with a really fucking stupid zip built into the middle of it.

AND, quickest way to dry out a laptop so that it might even work again..

Carry on......

Mark.

A waterproof bag in the top box. Take the laptop apart - remove the keyboard and the battery and bung it in a warm dry place and cross everything.

Place the laptop in a bag surrounded by lots of dry (uncooked!) rice - then leave in a warm place for a few days.
Take the battery out first.
Schtum's suggestion of removing the keyboard may not be practical.
In future - a padded case within a tankbag may be more practical. Far less motion there. Stuff in topboxes get churned around like there's a brick in a washing machine.

Stop me if you have heard this one.

There was this guy, right, who had a Crosstourer, and it had a genu wine Onda topbox on it.

Anyway this guy decides he is gonna put his laptop in his topbox, and then ride in the rain.

Can you foresee the chain of events that unfolds after this course of action.

Well, I CAN and I am a KNOB with a capital K........

Discovered that aforementioned Laptop has turned into V expensive doorstop.

SO.......... My question is.

If you drop buttered toast on the floor which side is it most likely to land on. Err no that's not it.

How the feck do you waterproof a topbox with a really fucking stupid zip built into the middle of it.

AND, quickest way to dry out a laptop so that it might even work again..

Carry on......

Mark.

Nothing you do surprises me anymore

It's common knowledge that the Crosstourer topbox with a zip is a totally crass design

He needs to put the laptop in a padded jiffy bag. Send bag to Honda with a letter saying due to your crap kit you now owe me a new laptop. simples.
The topbox water ingress problem is well known and they are selling shoddy kit which is not fit for purpose. BMW boxes are dry, Givi boxes are dry. Its not unreasonable to expect Honda boxes to be dry.
Incidentally, the Honda cure for water ingress is to stand the bike on its side stand and drill a hole in the bottom to let the water drain out.

Nothing you do surprises me anymore

It's common knowledge that the Crosstourer topbox with a zip is a totally crass design
Well Johnny,thanks for the slightly negative tone to your reply. I'm so sorry I forgot you are practically perfect in every way, and NEVER EVER make mistakes. But anyway, lets disregard your slightly negative view of me and get back to the topic in hand, shall we.

I assumed that as it was a Honda item, it would do as it was designed to do, with no fuss or drama. This is clearly not the case (NO PUN INTENDED)so IS there a way of waterproofing the zip and the material strip its sewn onto/with.

I am aware of some waterproofing sprays etc etc on the market, but not really sure if they would work.

Last, but probably not least, would anyone go as far as to say that design is not really fit for purpose by dint of its lack of waterproofing???? Also on a security standpoint the design of that topbox leaves it vulnerable to just being slashed open with a knife and then whoever just reaching in and helping themselves to whatever is in the topbox.

Now I know about the security/waterproof issues I will not put/leave anything in there that would be high value/affected by water.

That's it.

Mark.

Yep I make mistakes, of course & we all do

But chaos tends to follow you around Mark

Ever wondered why :)

Honda Topbox

Quote from a salesman employed by a large Honda dealership. 'Crosstourer luggage is only any good if your moving Goldfish. Took his advice and bought Givi. Great bike though!

Any one know if you can rekey the lock on a genuine Honda top box? I know there supposed be s--t but this ones cheap! And before someone says that's for a good reason etc etc, thanks Jonathan.

Back
Top Bottom