Non starter - help please

sparkplug

Landlord
Mod Squad
Solutions
Reaction score
second from the left, third from the right
OK - so here is the situation.

My dad is in a hospice in Italy and I am trying to get his K100 back on the road - if for no other reason than to ride it at his funeral.

He had taken it to the mechanics about a year ago and it's had the full works, new pads, discs calipers shocks tires etc etc

However since the big overhaul it's sat idle for about a year and is covered in dust and spiders.

I know jack when it comes to K's but have been doing a bit of learning.

Plugs are fine (just bought new ones just in case)

Battery is fine

There is good spark

Air filter is ??? - however I tried some of that spray that you bung into the air intake and the bike did fire and 'run' briefly so I guess this is not completely full of cobwebs

Fuel I think is the issue. Having taken the lower fairing off and undone the fuel lines either side of the fuel rail not much came out (oh, yes I also put new fuel in to an almost empty tank - so it's fresh)

When I turn the ignition on I don't get any pressurising of the fuel system which is what I was expecting - but as I say I know jack about K's so maybe it's not a pressurised system??? (I thought it was)

So my current guess is either electrical (fuses checked and OK but possibly a bad connection or a bad earth or something) or worst case scenario is a dead fuel pump.

Those of you who do know something about K's might be able to point me in the right direction - even if it's to a mechanic who knows what he's doing :D

Anything else you can suggest I can test / try before calling in the pro's?

Thanks

First question: It will help to know what sort of K it is - 8 or 16v.

I'm no expert.
But it'd be worth checking the external electrical connections to the fuel pump,given the lack of sound from the pump.
Also- if you put your hand on the pump and hit the starter, can you feel movement inside the pump?

Worth contacting Jay(Dr. Farkoff) - mine wouldn't be on the road without him :thumb

Honestly, it might be a lot of things but there are differences in the fuelling systems between the 8 & 16v models. Knowing which model it is will at least give a starting point (no pun intended).

The 16v model's fuel pump runs from the moment the ignition is switched on. You will hear the pump pressurise the system. 8v models don't do this, the pump only runs once the starter button is pressed.

Hmm - it's an RT first registered in 1988. From what I can tell I think it's an 8v then?

I don't think it's a blocked fuel filter because this would have been new and the bike's barely moved so there isn't anything which would have got in to block it.

I also tried turning the engine over with the fuel lines disconnected and nothing comes out and there is no pressure

However, a very small amount of fuel did trickle out from the fuel line that connects to the right hand side of the fuel rail when the tank was tipped forward - This was after what I had assumed was residual fuel had already drained when I first disconnected the pipe but it really wasn't 'flowing' very fast given the amount of fuel in the tank (5 lits)

Don't know if any of that helps?

It does help. It's an 8v.

As Marc says, simplest things first. It sounds as though the pump is not pumping. First thing to check and clean is the power supply to the tank.

Under the rear of the tank is a cable that leads to the right-hand side and a four pin connector. Take off the right side-panel, locate the cable from the tank and follow it to the plug:

00110.jpg

Clean the contacts and try again.

Its a bit disjointed as I had a couple of glasses of Plonko Rosso last night

If you have no success with cleaning the fuel pump connector cleaning before you do anything else Check for volts between the Green White (I THINK! its the fuel pump feed) wire and the brown one If the light lights up when you press the starter then it's okay that far Move on to The Tank Bit

If no light first check that there is power from the Green white wire to a good earth Does it light?

Yes then you have a broken earth wire in the fuel pump loom! Solution = either strip it back until you find the break OR just link Brown wire to a nearby clean frame engine earth with another dod of wire

No Check the ECU connector is clipped in correctly ?? And test again Light = Fixed

No Light = Check fuel pump relay I need to check the wiring diagram "but" If you lift the relay out there should be a

TANK
Open the tank Lid

Undo four screws and you should be able lift the lid away to leave you enough room to get your mitt in there

You can see the pump assembly down to the left Undo the hose clips and you can with draw the filter (check for splits)

There is a tab that allows you to withdraw the support thing that the pump fits through I think you will find that it is maybe spongy It seems that they go like that if left and you may find bits in side the pump whic you can try cleaning out and fiddling with on the bench

From there it is get a replacement pump and clean out the tank really well and If it starts messing about like Ogmios bike did change the fuel pressure regulator which had gooey black bits of vibration damper stopping it form reducing fuel to the lower tickover pressure

Don't you just love these old bikes Not a computer in sight that has to be plugged in or owt Just a process of elimination!

Sorry - realised that I hadn't updated this.

Tried all of your suggestions and managed to identify the culprit as a seized pump. Left 48 hours to soak in the vain hope of freeing it up, but replacement fuel pump it is.

Thanks for the advice guys - getting to like the K already and I haven't even ridden it yet!

Back
Top Bottom