Starter Button

Slimie

Dear Wise ones,

This has been bugging me for at least 45 minutes, I'm sure someone here knows the reason...

Why do bikes have a starter button and an ignition switch, rather than just one keyed switch that you'd find in most cars?

I know a number of cars are being fitted with starter buttons now but that seems to be a fashion thing.

Put me out of my misery, please:)

TIA

Simon

Whe starting a Car the handbrake should be on and the clutch engaged (obviously not if automatic) then you can turn the key.

Try applying the front brake and clutch on your bike and you can see why there is a button and not a key.

Thanks, but...

"Try applying the front brake and clutch on your bike and you can see why there is a button and not a key."

...I can apply the back brake, and with BMUU's fantastic idle speed increasing lever doohickey on the left grip I can't operate the clutch (on a cold start)!

I always start the bike on the stand, no brakes, and I always used to disengaged the clutch (pre BMUU), which wouldn't be a problem with a single switch. Would it?

Sorry to be dense!

Simon;)

AAMOI old guzzi twins actually do have a key start. in fact i used to own one that had a button as well :)

AAMOI old guzzi twins actually do have a key start.

really ? I've never seen one ?
how old are they ?

Back
Top Bottom