G650GS - less really is more

Barley-Mow

Reaction score
After about 20 years of big BMWs, I've parted with my old R850R and two weeks ago took on a 2 year old G650GS with 8K on the clock. Wish I'd done it when they first came out. It's absolutely great, especially if like me you're getting on in years and are of the short persuasion. I still have the 1996 R1100RT that took me to Russia last year - it and I have too much history to be parted (95K miles worth), but I think it'll be saved now for the long motorway runs. It's a wonderful, comfortable bike but it is heavy.

The new G650 is giving me 80 mpg at every fill up , or 250 miles to a tank, which I find incredible. No doubt it'll go down on longer loaded runs but a nearly 200 mile run yesterday in the cold, accompanying an 1150GS, still saw me taking on less than 11 litres at the end of the day.

I've been looking at posts about luggage and have decided to wait and see. It seems to me the whole basis of the 650 is light weight. I've got a big Ortlieb holdall which I can strap on the back lengthwise and I reckon that, plus a tank bag (if I can find one that doesn't keep sliding off - I have 3 and none of them stay put) should take all the luggage I need. Plus at the end of a days ride you have only one bag to haul off rather than several. Comforting as the security of hard panniers is, I think I'm going to try to do without and keep it simple.

When I first had the RT it took my Wife and I plus all our luggage in just the 2 panniers and tank bag for a fortnight to Spain, with the topbox being reserved for handbags and helmets. By the time I went on my own in September this year it was all I could do to fit just my own clutter in the same space.

I'm also resisting the temptations of bigger screens. The standard article is incredibly effective and my experience on other bikes is that bigger usually means worse. The 850R was at its most enjoyable with no screen or luggage, but unlike the 650, wasn't really rideable any distance like that except at very modest speeds.

So I think keep it simple is the answer. We shall see. I'll be off somewhere foreign at the first opportunity, if work and other nonsense doesn't keep getting in the way.

Yes, less is definitely more with the wee 'G'

I'm getting around 65-72mpg on my Sertao now that its run in' and it's a great wee bike with no frills that do almost everything!

FP.

Nice, I was very close to pulling the trigger a while back on the little G. A great little bike to ride :thumb

Riding around Norwich/Norfolk my F650 Dakar is getting about 140 miles to the fuel light. About 44mpg.

That's with a nice clean air filter, iridium plug, plastic plug cap, and fresh oil.

67mpg is my absolute best. That was fast riding in Hungary.

I like my Sertao best cos I have sold most of the rest
Roll on warmer dryer weather = I cant wait

what makes you think the g650 motor has more power??:augie:augie:augie:augie

Fact dear boy, fact ....

G650GS 48PS
G650 X-Country 54PS (and 40+kg lighter)

Having said that, I've ridden the G650GS and it's a crackin' bike :thumb

It'll tour all day and go round the world for sure ....

Yes, indeed ... less is more :thumb

:beerjug:

You lot should all be banned!

This counter intuitive thought is dangerous and must be cut out :rob

More power is always best :augie

(Still wish I had my Dakar :thumb)

You lot should all be banned!

This counter intuitive thought is dangerous and must be cut out :rob

More power is always best :augie

(Still wish I had my Dakar :thumb)

You know it makes sense .... surrender now :surrender

:comfort

Just to add my 2 bob's worth.
I run my R1200GS along side my X Country. Great little bike and great to ride with open face helmet. Roll on summer.

You all no you want one, but we have them:)

Cheers Dave.

I have a F650 twin ( being replaced this week with an F800GS...) so I only peek in this part of the forum for "hints and tips "
However, the OP, Barley Mow has hit the nail on the head with a couple of very clear observations here ; Great stuff ! so true.

Its all about weight ....I've got a big Ortlieb holdall which I can strap on the back lengthwise and I reckon that, plus a tank bag (if I can find one that doesn't keep sliding off - I have 3 and none of them stay put) should take all the luggage I need. Plus at the end of a days ride you have only one bag to haul off rather than several.

and as for big screens ....The standard article is incredibly effective and my experience on other bikes is that bigger usually means worse.

Its all about weight ....I've got a big Ortlieb holdall which I can strap on the back lengthwise and I reckon that, plus a tank bag (if I can find one that doesn't keep sliding off - I have 3 and none of them stay put) should take all the luggage I need. Plus at the end of a days ride you have only one bag to haul off rather than several.

Without a doubt :thumb

The lighter the bike, the lighter you travel, then the sweeter it is :D

But then I'm getting 'past it' :rob

I use a Wunderlich (Ortleib) roll bag strapped on the back and that will do nicely for two or three weeks travel on the Continent ... 650 single or 800 twin :thumby:

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom