690r fork rebuild..

Losttheplot

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looks like i need to rebuild my forks, and looking around i see ktm supply a fork repair kit.

does anyone actually know what is in this? is it just seals and dust scrapers? or does it include bushes as well?

Dunno.....
But I have fitted oem KTM seals to the my forks and both sets have leaked prematurely, and I do keep the sliders clean of dried mud.
I believe SKF are now doing seal kits for many popular models of bike, and most of the modern KTM rtange is on their listings.

It's not just the seals Timpo, i need the bushes as well, and it looks like the cheapest way of getting all the required parts would be in this repair kit, if it has all the parts i need that is?

My seals are still good, it's the bushes that are knackered!

Think i might put some seal skins on when i rebuild the forks to help preserve the seals and scrapers....

Looks like i need to rebuild my forks, and looking around i see ktm supply a fork repair kit.

does anyone actually know what is in this? is it just seals and dust scrapers? or does it include bushes as well?

Well according to the KTM center in Hemel, the repair kits contains everything you need to fully service forks. Will find out for definite tomorrow evening.

Timpo, thanks for the tip about SKF seals. Are they a direct swop/ same size?

Nathan

Give Gear4 a ring and ask them what's in the repair kit :)

Give Gear4 a ring and ask them what's in the repair kit :)

Well i did think about that, but decided to go for the surprise option.

Got home this evening to find 1 fork repair kit waiting on the doorstep for me, which includes:

2x scrapers
2x seals
4x bushes
2x circlips
2x copper washers.

All for £40 :)

Don't suppose anyone knows off hand what the air gap should be in these forks as standard?

My version of the official KTM workshop manual does not give an air gap, it only gives a quantity following a complete strip and rebuild of 620ml, SAE 5, for both the 690 and the 690 R.
Hope that helps.

And then I turned apage and found this: Air Chamber length : 120 +_20mm on the Enduro (620ml), and 120 +0-20 for the Enduro R ( 635ml).

Jus love those KTM manuals ...

2x scrapers
2x seals
4x bushes
2x circlips
2x copper washers.

All for £40 :)

Wow, that's a lot of oem pieces for 40 quid.
Have you got the part number of the kit, is it #R14016? If so, Trevor Pope M/cs gives a price of £58, where did you buy the kit from at £40?

Wow, that's a lot of oem pieces for 40 quid.
Have you got the part number of the kit, is it #R14016? If so, Trevor Pope M/cs gives a price of £58, where did you buy the kit from at £40?

I ordered it through the Ktm centre in Hemel, but looking around there's a few places doing these kits for about the same money. Will find you the part number later when I'm back home

Dunno.....
But I have fitted oem KTM seals to the my forks and both sets have leaked prematurely, and I do keep the sliders clean of dried mud.
I believe SKF are now doing seal kits for many popular models of bike, and most of the modern KTM rtange is on their listings.

SKF seals are around £50 for a pair of seals and scrapers....

SKF seals are around £50 for a pair of seals and scrapers....

Just got back from my first ride with these new SKF seals fitted, and the difference in quite noticeable. The front end feels a lot plusher and not sticky like the previous (and standard) seals had caused. The bike feels a lot smoother over the bumps on the front end, and the handle bars don't buzz anything like they used to, and i'm still running the same settings on rebound and compression!

A significant improvement for not a lot of money, and these forks seals aren't difficult to do if you have the correct tools :)

Back
Top Bottom