B6047 Mkt Harborough - Melton Mowbray - Warning!!

littleredrooster

Reaction score
Went for a tootle about today and ended up riding this road. Large sections of it have been 'repaired' and patched, but the overbanding has to be seen to be believed. 2-inch wide, smooth tar bands on the inside of loads of left-handers, extending in some cases almost to the white line. It is absolutely suicidal in the wet if you catch one of these. I had many 'touching-cloth' moments in the 23 miles of this road.

Beware!!

:(

littleredrooster said:
2-inch wide, smooth tar bands on the inside of loads of left-handers, extending in some cases almost to the white line. It is absolutely suicidal in the wet if you catch one of these. I had many 'touching-cloth' moments in the 23 miles of this road.

Beware!!

Then report it to the council/highways agency as an unsatisfactory (and unsafe) repair.
A dig around on the net will tell you the requirements for a proper repair.

B6047

littleredrooster said:
Went for a tootle about today and ended up riding this road. Large sections of it have been 'repaired' and patched, but the overbanding has to be seen to be believed. 2-inch wide, smooth tar bands on the inside of loads of left-handers, extending in some cases almost to the white line. It is absolutely suicidal in the wet if you catch one of these. I had many 'touching-cloth' moments in the 23 miles of this road.

Beware!!

If only I'd seen this thread before Sunday!

Had quite an 'off' with pillion on board leading a group run. Going North along B6047 between Tilton on The Hill and Twyford. Shallow rising left hand bend, accelerating out of bend and caught overbanding on one side of trench with front wheel, front end twitched so corrected, but then was on the overbanding on the other side of the trench! Ran out of road and onto wide grass verge and took a heavy tumble. Broken ribs and concussion, pillion badly sprained left arm and wrist. Bike damage not yet assessed as it's still in Melton Mowbray.

Does anyone know if this overbanding has been reported?

Malcolm

Don't know about wether the overbanding has been reported, but I regularly have to attend serious/fatal accidents on the B6047 involving bikes :(

Its a fantastic bit of road but trecherous if you overcook some of the bends

Bryn

Is there any way I (or you) can find out? Point me in the right direction. It was not a case of over-cooking it. If it hadn't been me as the lead I'm sure one of the others following would have found it.

Malcolm

Back
Top Bottom