Guzzi Wanted

I'm a BMW man usually and am new to Guzzis so any advice would be nice!
[/url]

Always carry a good book, it'll give you something to read while waiting for the recovery truck some day.

Not trying to put you off (although if it does, perhaps it should); I enjoyed many happy miles on my old Convert, but there was one day it didn't get me within walking distance of my destination and couldn't be fixed at the side of the road. I was glad I'd followed the advice as I sat on Knaresborough high street reading Bruce Chatwin's "What am I doing here?" (awaiting recovery as the ATF pump drive key had rounded, it turned out).

My experience was that the main mechanicals were pretty solid and reliable but there was a degree of tinkering needed both in the garage and on the road (little stuff like ignition switches self-dismantling one day as I rode along) so things improved as I got to know the bike. And some details were't designed for easy service (awkward to reach "mushroom" holding the points, oil filter in the sump behind myriad bolts...)

But oh don't those round-barrelled, Tointi-framed Gussis just look right, sound right, go right.

Must give converts a wide berth!

Only if 99 mph flat out and a semi-auto gearbox puts you off. Apart from a torque converter in place of the usual dry clutch, and a wet clutch and two-speed gearbox in place of the usual five speed, they're fairly similar to the other big twins of the era. And the parking brake operated by the sidestand is a delightful novelty.

But yes, if I do it again I'll aim for a T3.

Back
Top Bottom