New ferry service

Great way to get to/from Spain

Used the Gijon to St Nazaire sector in Sept . I boarded in Gijon in the evening and arrived in St Nazaire at 1100 the next morning in time to roll up to Rosscoff for that evenings Brittany ferry direct to Cork. I booked a seat and got a one way for 80e which I thought was good value and nicer than the slab up through west coast France.

It will be interesting to see the prices for the ferry to Spain. It will definitely save the hassle of having to go to Plymouth and then getting
the ferry to Santander.

Its great this has happened, eventually.

To be honest, i reckon tourism could ge a huge boost if an additional ferry service was going to/from Cork from Spain. Its a no brainer.

On top of that there is a lot of surface cargo that moves by road to Spain from Ireland, again, win win.

Its a start.

It's the freight trade that will make it I reckon - it will go to the wall if not. Freight/cargo haulage will be regular custom where as the tourist
trade will be seasonal. Hopefully the fares will be competitive too. I hope it doesn't go the way of the Cork-Swansea service.....

Gijon couldn't be more perfectly situated for anybody looking to do the Picos or the Moto Piston rally.

talk to me....."Picos & Piston rally" ?

:idea

Otherwise known as the Rally of the 5000 Curves. It's on Sept 28th to Oct 5th in 2014.
Here is the blurb:

For the XXVI edition of Piston Rally, we have organised a seven-day programme with lots of activities, including the most beautiful routes in Cantabria, both at the shore and at the mountains, the famous 5,000 Curves Rally, moto jumble and, of course, the Classic Motorcycle Races in El Sardinero, which a little bit longer this year and will have some more participants. Better than ever!
Our wide programm allows anyone to enter for the most interesting days, not having to be here from the very first day to the end.

Thus, one can enter in the first routes from Monday to Wednesday as well as from Thursday to Sunday or for the whole seven days.
The fantastic collaboration we receive from our friends of Moto Club Terni, organisers of Moto Giro in Italy, have convinced us to organise more route days, that is, staying mainly in Santander but with 2 – 3 nights in other hotels. The club take the task of moving the material and participants´ suitcases to the different chosen hotels.
Main meeting point will be again Hotel Santemar**** in Santander, a success in last year´s participants´opinion. This first-class hotel is just 50 meters from Sardinero beach in Santander and will have a closed underground parking for our motorcycles.
With more than 500 participants in last year´s rally, 60 pilots in the races and more than 50 exhibitors at the moto jumble, Piston Rally has become the most important classic motorcycle meeting in Southern Europe. You can´t miss it!

The Picos d'Europa are a famous moutain range near the north Spanish coast (......near Gijon !!). Excellent biking road, be it tarmac and off road/trails.
I met a few lads on 1150GS's that were on their way back from there and they had a blast.

The LD Lines service from Rosslare to St. Nazaire is up on their site now and taking bookings - it's a 22 hour crossing.
However, there's no listing for Rosslare to Gijon (yet....).

Rosslare - St Nazaire £199 return for a car & 2 adults, includes cabin, is the launch offer. That's cheap! I've booked with a motorhome for £287 return in June, that again is cheap.

The LD Lines service from Rosslare to St. Nazaire is up on their site now and taking bookings - it's a 22 hour crossing.
However, there's no listing for Rosslare to Gijon (yet....).

I think you might have to book St Nazaire - Gijon separately. The Rosslare ferry gets in Sat evening and the Gijon ferry leaves Sunday.

We did Gijon to St Nazaire last year, and then rode up to Roscoff for the ferry to Cork. It takes about 4 or 5 hours. So not really a massive advantage by going direct to St Naz. It's a pity you can't go Cork -Gijon direct.

Rosslare-Gijón

day departure arrival crossing time ferry name
Friday 21:00 13:00 39h00 Scintu

Gijón-Rosslare

day departure arrival crossing time ferry name
Tuesday 22:00 21:15 48h25 Scintu

Feck !! can the crossing times be correct?

I am taking my monster American RV before Xmas Celtic link €135 one way, no cabin (none available).
I will look at the LD for my return

Seems good value

I was looking at this for end of May and got a quote of €120 return to St. Nazaire for me and the bike. Not bad. Pity there's no direct link to Spain though, though would be ideal!:aidan

I was looking at this for end of May and got a quote of €120 return to St. Nazaire for me and the bike. Not bad. Pity there's no direct link to Spain though, though would be ideal!:aidan

It's €120 but as it's overnight you will probably take a cabin (well I do anyway !) so that would bring it up to €170. That's still very good though price-wise. The crossing
time is 22 hrs and another 16 hrs to Gijon from St. Nazaire. So in total it looks like 38 hours at sea from Rosslare to Gijon excluding the stop over @ St. Nazaire.
For the WW2 fans, check out the u-boat pens in St. Nazaire.

It's €120 but as it's overnight you will probably take a cabin (well I do anyway !) so that would bring it up to €170. That's still very good though price-wise. The crossing
time is 22 hrs and another 16 hrs to Gijon from St. Nazaire. So in total it looks like 38 hours at sea from Rosslare to Gijon excluding the stop over @ St. Nazaire.
For the WW2 fans, check out the u-boat pens in St. Nazaire.

Yep, that's true. Still pretty good though. I'm thinking of going out to St. Nazaire and spinning on down by bike to Gijon for the return leg, stop off in San Sebastian for a bit on the way. If time allows! And I get the kitchen pass!!!!

Back
Top Bottom