which way would you go

woodman

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have done the Alps/Black forest etc to death over the last ten years and fancy a change next year.

I have never been to Spain on the bike so fancy that.

My question is should I,

1. Go Plymouth/Santander then back Calais/Dover
2. Dover Calais back Santander/Plymouth
3. Plymouth/Santander - Santander/Plymouth - More expensive in ferry costs

I do like France, but have not done the west side so 1 or 2 appeal.

If I go for 1 then I will "be on my way home" for the entire trip, which doesn't feel right.

I camp so would appreciate any comments regarding camping in Spain.

Any help appreciated.

Hi
Hello all,

I have done the Alps/Black forest etc to death over the last ten years and fancy a change next year.

My question is should I,

If I go for 1 then I will "be on my way home" for the entire trip, which doesn't feel right.

Any help appreciated.
Hi Woodman. I have been to Spain on the bike a few times but never camped.Another option could be.Portsmouth to LE:Harve ,ride down the west coast,and come back vie Plymouth
Personally speaking i always try for the long boat ride home.Mainly because you tend to appreciate the extra bit of rest.Which ever you choose have a good time buddy.

Option 1 is best in my experience.

24 hours on the ferry gets you all relaxed & ready for your holiday - arrive in the Picos on fresh rubber - not tyres squared of by a thousand miles through France.
Do Spain (& get the Pyrenees in West to East - bit of time on the med - then back up through France - take in the Tarn Gorges, The Ardeche, Massif Central, Dordogne - whichever you choose - and give yourself ten days minimum :thumb2
Back over by the short route - tunnel is best

That ferry back from Santander to Plymouth/Portsmouth always seems to take an absolute age

Completely off your topic, but just a useful tip......take big fekk off titanium tent pegs or some of those really strong polyurethane pegs that you can whack with a hammer........Camping in Spain is great, but the ground on yer average campsite is hard, full of rocks and eats pegs like you wouldn't believe.

The ferry either way is good.....I'd do it on the way back I think, 'cos you can get really shagged out on the way around then, but know you have a full day on board to recharge before the final leg home in the UK.

Head up through Scandanavia into Norway, That'll be my next european jaunt!

Pyreneesmap.jpg

We did this route a few years ago - but no camping...

Ride report

Thanks.
Just like Italy then!

Completely off your topic, but just a useful tip......take big fekk off titanium tent pegs or some of those really strong polyurethane pegs that you can whack with a hammer........Camping in Spain is great, but the ground on yer average campsite is hard, full of rocks and eats pegs like you wouldn't believe.

The ferry either way is good.....I'd do it on the way back I think, 'cos you can get really shagged out on the way around then, but know you have a full day on board to recharge before the final leg home in the UK.

Hi WM
You have answered one of your questions which is lots of you time will be spent riding thro France to get home, so dont. I have been to Spain a few times, mainly Pyrenees and Picos and found that the ferry both ways suits me best. The N260 which runs along the Pyrenees must have been designed by a bikers, fantastic roads and scenary, there are lots of threads on here which will confirm, you can also venture into the Frence side too on the way back to the port if you so wished. The picos is also brilliant, you can easy spent weeks of your hols touring the above. I havent camped in Spain and I have always found good priced hotels to stay, I think there is probably a better choice of camping options in France as I didn't see too many camp sites in Spain. although I wasn't looking. Let us know how you get on
Cheers
Peter
Hello all,

My question is should I,

Any help appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom