K1300gt or GTR1400

smifffiebm

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking at both bikes but cant decide which one to go for. Has anyone owned both bikes or any experience (good or bad) with them. Any info would be appreciated. Current bike is a R1100rs (had it 10yrs and keeping it).I do a couple of European trips annually.

I've had a Fjr sorry I ever sold it had 12rt since recently changed to a f800gsa which I love but if I was ever considering a tourer type of bike again it would be a Fjr. JJH

Had a GTR 1400 for 15 months now ( which if you knew me you'd know is amazing ):)

Also had over 80 bikes in my time, and the GTR is the first one I've really settled with for any length of time

Best have a look over on GTR1400.co.uk

They're a friendly bunch , just like this place but less well populated ;)

K1300GT

Had a 2009 K1300GT for two years and 24,000 miles.
Fabulous bike, loved the power and miss it, comfort good for 250 miles, great weather protection, nice build quality and screen wasn't too bad.
Huge luggage and good fuel consumption at 52mpg.
Had ESA but wasn't fussed as once it's set up never changed it, Sport setting resulted in a sore bum and Comfort made the ride squishy.
Service costs about the same as a GSA.
Tried the 1400GTR, lovely smooth engine and also very quick.
Tough choice.

Tough choice, the Kwak looks a little lower and squatter but that's an observation not a technically proven fact. The 1300 Beemer engine is awesome and I would have bought one to replace my K1300S, in the end we bough a 90th edition RT.

New FJR1300 without a second thought. GTR has come last in just about every test I've seen. But it is cheap.
K1300 still has poor gearbox.

1400 GTR

1400GTR Buying Guide in the February issue of RIDE magazine.
Good read.

I'm with Bryn on the Gtr forum and there is plenty of good advice over there .. please take a look.
Had my Gtr for 2 years and 28000 miles and it was for many reasons the best all round bike I have owned and ridden in 30 yrs .. just sublime .. until of course I rode a friends 1200 Triple Black and that was that as they say !
The K1300 Gt is f'ing amazing ... I repeat f'ing amazing .... an endless well of furious power and ability makes it hard to better .. I didn't get one simply as I couldn't live with the horrible "slab" like fairing that made it just look so ugly .. but christ what a bike !!:eek::eek: I am not sure that helps but you need to take both out for a day !

Thanks for all your replies/info. Got my eye on a couple of k1300gt's. Having to wait though til shops open after New Year to view. Thanks again. Ian.

I have a K1300GT and it is a superb tourer, not ridden a GTR but all the reviews and comparisons I've read rate the BMW above the Kwak. But as ever it is your opinion that counts. If you go for the BMW check closely around the rear shock for any signs of oil misting/leaks and give it a good bouncing up and down to check for rebound damping. My shock lost all of its oil at about 24k miles and it was like a pogo stick on every bump. I had to have the shock removed and rebuilt by Firefox Racing and with the labour costs at my local independent who removed and replaced the shock the cost was about £600 all in. Could be worse though as a new unit from BMW is £1400 and that is before the labour costs:eek

Thanks for that info Snoots. I looked at an 09 k1300gt today with 24k miles on it.... and bought it! Full BM service history and 12months warranty.(Prob be needing that, lol) Getting delivered next week. Thanks again to everyone for your help/info. Ian.

Thanks. Just got to get rid of some of my wife's shoes and handbags out of the garage to make room!

Back
Top Bottom