K1200 recall.?

snaponphil

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Original post by Platinum Motorcycles ...

am seeing more and more a reason to post this as BMW don't seem to be doing anything about it, it has come to light that the 04 onwards K1200 series ie S,R and GT can suffer massive trauma at the hands of the timing chain jumping a tooth, BMW released a jump guard but dont seem to be willing to recall the item, this is a massive deal, this can easily write off your bike, i have had 2 engines come in completely destroyed because of this happening, everyone has heard the horror stories about cars and timing chains, well, this is worse!!

Hi guys, thanks for post..
Found it by a search, local BMW dealer called me just before Xmas (Astles Grimsby) advising me of cam guide rework, currently waiting for a workshop session & while I'm there a £99 service..
I'm actually impressed they bothered to call me.. Maybe a few new faces in the bike department have changed things for the better.

Update from today..
Arrived at dealers, Adrian informs me the rework is free for the cam chain anti jump guide, apparently there is a newer cam chain tensioner available that is oil filled (apparently updated from original) at approx £120 fitted.
Gave go ahead & short service so hopefully sorted when collected.

The camchain tensioner on my old 2006 K1200S was changed under warranty in around 2007/08. It's not a new issue.

The camchain tensioner on my old 2006 K1200S was changed under warranty in around 2007/08. It's not a new issue.

But to me it is, & possibly a few others I'm sure.
Also what is new is the fact if u make enquiries on the (pretty important) chain anti jump shield BMW will do it foc even on my 2007 bike.

My pal Dennis had it done FOC by the dealer AFTER he pointed out that if they didnt do it (they weren't going too) they would be responsible for any subsequent damage or injury he suffered because of it.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

I had the modified tensioner fitted FOC as well. it's a BMW campaign so if you complain of the chatter on start up they should replace FOC.

Maybe speak to bmw customer services to see if you can get a refund :thumb2

Jon :beerjug:

I had the modified tensioner fitted FOC as well. it's a BMW campaign so if you complain of the chatter on start up they should replace FOC.

Maybe speak to bmw customer services to see if you can get a refund :thumb2

Jon :beerjug:

Thanks Jon, I'll ask, although after completing the work they tell me the orange abs light needs a new pump, £800 ish.
It's only done 6k on 07 plate, I was pretty sure it was when battery went flat but I'm informed I'm mistaken..
Bummer !

My ABS unit failed at 4500 miles in a fairly scary manner as it immediately released the brakes after I'd applied them - a couple of miles before it'd been braking hard from high speeds, so a slightly earlier failure could have been disastrous :eek

Luckily the bike was still under warranty....

Not totally sure where bikes at, Astle's service manager spoke to me & said he would try a goodwill warranty as the bike is immaculate & low miles, I'll pop in to see them tomorrow for update..

6000miles, serviced up till 4500 miles but no proof as service book missing & only got few receipts, think I didn't get service book back last time it was in for recall on suspension, anyway, called servicing dealer & would you believe on their system there is NO history at all, service manager apologetic as he knows the bikes been in fairly regular at the start of its life.
It's not looking good for any goodwill, but I'm assuming a letter direct to BMW is next option, I've a portfolio of BMW bikes & thousands of ££ of accessories, hopefully that may help.

That is unless anyone who knows anyone who repairs abs pumps..

Back
Top Bottom