1150 Heated grips and autoswitch

Lou Can

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
OK, necessity, mother of invention etc. etc.

In the absence of any hero offering me a R/H switch containing a heated grip but no ABS, I am onto plan B.

No place to put an rocker switch like the 1100, so is there a reason why I shouldn't use an autoswitch (courtesy of Nippy Norman) to drive the hotter of the two settings ?

If not anyone know which colour wire in the female switch block is the feed for this ?

I'm beginning to think heated gloves would have been a better idea.:(

Lou Can said:
OK, necessity, mother of invention etc. etc.

In the absence of any hero offering me a R/H switch containing a heated grip but no ABS, I am onto plan B.

No place to put an rocker switch like the 1100, so is there a reason why I shouldn't use an autoswitch (courtesy of Nippy Norman) to drive the hotter of the two settings ?

If not anyone know which colour wire in the female switch block is the feed for this ?

I'm beginning to think heated gloves would have been a better idea.:(

What difference does the abs switch make? My bike does not have ABS but when I changed the switch gear when putting on Heated Grips all I could get was the one with the ABS button, the gear still fits and the abs button does nothing.

having said that there is no reason why an Auto switch should not work via a relay but the heated grips have 2 settings so the right autoswitch is needed, I think there is one that can switch 2 circuits by holding the cancel switch for a shorter or longer time.

SNIP <What difference does the abs switch make?>

None whatsoever, unless you are a pedant like me who gets driven mad by petty irregularities. I was once described as being able to walk for miles on a broken leg but unable to ignore a malfunctioning toilet. Having a redundant swith would eat away at my feeble mind.....

Re the Autoswitch - I reckon no one uses 'low' heated grip setting ( its like gentle heating in a microwave - just blast it at full power for less time). You either need the heat or turn 'em off. So I was going with the single on/off option - hence the need to know which wire drove them at full speed, which at half speed so I could flip the relay with the right one!

Lou Can said:
SNIP <What difference does the abs switch make?>

None whatsoever, unless you are a pedant like me who gets driven mad by petty irregularities. I was once described as being able to walk for miles on a broken leg but unable to ignore a malfunctioning toilet. Having a redundant swith would eat away at my feeble mind.....

Re the Autoswitch - I reckon no one uses 'low' heated grip setting ( its like gentle heating in a microwave - just blast it at full power for less time). You either need the heat or turn 'em off. So I was going with the single on/off option - hence the need to know which wire drove them at full speed, which at half speed so I could flip the relay with the right one!

I find that the second (hot setting) is too hot, the good bit being able to use thinner gloves behind the hand guards. I also think that continuous high may contribute to the stiff throttle when using the grips on high.

Any way you might want to try talking to jim elderfield on this site he has had the opposite problem to you he has been looking for one with an ABS switch, I think he may have or know the whereabouts of what you are looking for.

The other option is the 5NB2 version of Nippy Mormans Auto switch at £15 http://www.nippynormans.com/products.asp?dept=223 this can drive two o/ps I think

Back
Top Bottom