Th'alps

FatAl

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm looking to ride the 'Route des Grandes Alpes this June, south to North, has anyone done this route? any reccommended accommodation? Thankee kindly. Fatal

Info

There's a great website HERE

With maps, info and hotels. The website itself is in French but a lot of the accomodation links have websites which have English pages. There's a documentation section which lists the guidebooks and maps needed. If you need any help/info, let me know...

Rob

French Alps

Hi Ebbo

Just had a Deecko of your wee run looks like a nice one and you got good weather to boot,my one and only experience of the French Alps is of a mixed bag of weather but it didn't take away from the experience and enjoyment as it was my first European trip in great company, I'll go back someday but slightly later in the year as we went in mid June.

Regd's K

Perhaps we got lucky, it was roasting!!! I’d love to do it again Sth to Nth but we have other plans this summer :thumb

Dont know the route

But I can suggest you stop in youth hostels they are very cheap and extremley comfortable and you meet plenty of nice people. :clap :clap :clap yeppieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went mid june last year and it was almost too hot togged up in leathers. Didn't see rain until we hit northern france on the way home. :thumb

franco said:
There's a great website HERE

With maps, info and hotels. The website itself is in French but a lot of the accomodation links have websites which have English pages. There's a documentation section which lists the guidebooks and maps needed. If you need any help/info, let me know...

Rob

Fantastic site. And Fatal - you lucky sod.

I'll not be fitting a trip in this year but I now know where next year's will be passing through!

Looks like I'll be in that area in mid-June too - current aim is for me and a mate to base ourselves in Annecy for a week.

We did it last year it was great
I don’t know much about Hotels because we camped most of the time but lots of the hotels had Bikers Welcome signs outside and the 2 hotels that we stayed in on the way home because it was wet and we felt like a chance didn’t mind the fact that we were on a bike covered in crap and dripping water all over their very posh reception area
We did try to get a hotel in Annecy mid week in July with out a booking and couldn’t find one so ended up way out of town
If the weather is O.K. you can’t beat camping and there are lots of campsites in the area
It’s just if you don’t mind the extra gear on the bike
Most of the route has route markers on it but you can pick up a map of the route once you get there I managed the odd wrong turn but that just adds to the adventure doesn’t it?
Have a great trip and remember to post some photos :thumb
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48099

Annecy is great.I can recommend a good hotel the Comfort Mandalaz, it is walking distance from the lake ,and has air conditioned rooms and an underground car park.The lass on reception speaks english.Good value too. :bounce1

Referring to my original post, I did the route in june '05, an excellent run, the weather was warm and sunny, I was part of a group of 7, we took pot luck on the hotels and had no problems. It's a superb route-highly reccommended.

Back
Top Bottom