handlebar adjusters

Deleted account 220427002

Reaction score
It took a while….but here it is the first prototype of a set of handlebar adjusters

Attachments

• handlebars.jpg
    handlebars.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 935
What do you all think? Good idea or what
Any suggestions for improvement

Attachments

• handlebars1.jpg
    handlebars1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 672
Gary, do you need to fit longer brake pipes?

If not then I'm interested.

Combien?

I had 1" risers on the bike.. It came to me that way with goodridge hoses already fitted, so I don’t know if the hoses are of standard length. I think they are slightly longer hoses.:(

V. interesting indeed.

Have you done any stress testing on the yolk-ends of the clamp. I'd have thought there was a fair amount of leverage going through there which could cause quite large rotational forces at the clamp on the yolk.

I've had a few ideas in this areas too but generally shied away for product liability reasons :(

Andy

you can get these to buy now from somewhere and the one i got made looks more Industrial than it

attachment.php

the guy who made this for me does a lot of work for shorts the aerospace firm manufacturing precision parts so even no testing has been done yet he should know what he's doing

Hi Tuned,

still think you are on to a winner, but but I feel that there might be a need to offer alternative hights. The distance from A to B on the attatched might be ok for some, but slightly taller people might find it a bit high, specially for off road.

I also have an 1100 and have found these perfect for me. They are only about 1/2 the hight of yours and I'm about 5'11' (old money) and find them perfect for on and off road.

HTH.

Going with Nod's train of thought.

If the riser wasn't shaped (the bit A to B) but was a square section, couldn't another cut out and threaded hole be machined below "A" to allow the bar to be lower if required.

It would still give all the adjustment forward and backwards, but give a lower option for the taller rider.

Bit of a sketch, best I can do after two bottles of claret, but I think you'll get the gist of my idea.
:)

Attachments

• screenshot028.jpg
    screenshot028.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 616
i see your not just a piss artist :)

Whatton said:
Going with Nod's train of thought.

If the riser wasn't shaped (the bit A to B) but was a square section, couldn't another cut out and threaded hole be machined below "A" to allow the bar to be lower if required.

It would still give all the adjustment forward and backwards, but give a lower option for the taller rider.

Bit of a sketch, best I can do after two bottles of claret, but I think you'll get the gist of my idea.

it has to be shaped so that it can fit over the knurled bit on the bars, but the length could be made shorter.

Attachments

• img_0641.jpg
    img_0641.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 605
where 'd you get the idea for those, then ?? ;)

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28958

Tuned - yours don't have the connecting bar between the two risers - so could 'possibly ' twist easier.
Also - the inside face has a is sharp notch - not filleted like the outside - hell of a stress raiser - but probably within limits .

good work though - how much ??

motomartin said:
where 'd you get the idea for those, then ?? ;)

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28958

Tuned - yours don't have the connecting bar between the two risers - so could 'possibly ' twist easier.
Also - the inside face has a is sharp notch - not filleted like the outside - hell of a stress raiser - but probably within limits .

good work though - how much ??
i agree about the sharp notch i would get that rounded out to give a bit more meat on it.

where did you get the idea you mean..... http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23194&highlight=lowering+kit
:D :D

sorry Phil i don't think the other one has got a bar throught it :) needs perfected before pricing:)
i think it would be in the ball park of £60- £80

Attachments

• handle bar1.jpg
    handle bar1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 574
Whatton said:

I'm no engineer, but I'd be concerned that the arm would be weaker if you were using the upper cut-out.

Hi There

I'd echo the concerns about stress at the yolk-ends. I think they'd be fine until the mating surfaces get smooth as result of repeated adjusting and that they could then slip when say the bike hits a pothole. Fine for your own use or if you understand the mecahanics of it. However as a product you would have to make it idiot proof, otherwise some idiot is going to have an accident due to their not tightening it enough or through not noticing the wear on the mating surfaces. Idiots can sue. Good luck with it.

Trevor (CNC god and all around decent spud), the man who done the machining told me it's made from if I can recall right 6061-T6 aircraft grade aluminium and at the weakest point it section measures 12mm by 18mm and this he tells me will not break or sheer with someone tugging on the bars.
But that said the next version will be slightly shorter by about 20mm or so and the right angle part, curved to give a better look to the piece as well as more strength not that it needs more strength he says:)

I would be inclined to believe a man owns and operates this type of machinery for a living.

That said I’d be pointing out all your comments to him if I can get him to make more.

The other thing I would say is that if this type of bar adjuster is already on the market, which it is and is made for more than one type of bike the engineering principles must be sound.

Attachments

• cnc.jpg
    cnc.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 230
Some really good adjusters lads. I am well impressed. They look similar to the ones i was looking at that "Nippy normans" do. Is their a reason why the parts held in the top yoke clamps are not a part of the same bar or am i a total twit? Would this not make them stronger!

Back
Top Bottom