american esta (visa)

paul nicholls

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Sorry if this a stupid question but.
After reading all about the exploits of previous trips to Alaska Ive decided thats where Im going this year.
Happy with most things, done the research, and have decided its the Dalton or bust.
Hiring bikes from rent alaska, flights chosen so nearly done.
Just a bit confused on the visa front. On looking at the form, it is asking for an address while visiting
there is the rub,im assuming that a lay by or lakeside wild camp is not an acceptable address, what do you put.
Cant see anywhere on the form that covers touring with no fixed abode.
So what did you all do when you went to Alaska on the paperwork?
Many thanks Paul.

Not Alaska but did a road trip by hire car last year with the family, starting in New York, Driving over to Washington DC, then down the coast to Florida for a few weeks, All I did on the ESTA was put the address of the Hotel we where staying at in NYC for the first night. We flew into NY/JFK and Back from Tampa, no issues with customs on entry or exit from the states.

What he said. I'm there now and in my fourth motel. The esta is valid for two years and multiple trips so pick an address at random. I don't think it matters.

Thanks for taking time to reply,
Looks like the name and address of the first hotel(the only one we plan to book) or the hire company is ok.

Thanks for taking time to reply,
Looks like the name and address of the first hotel(the only one we plan to book) or the hire company is ok.

The first hotel is fine Paul. Enjoy the Dalton and happy to help if you want tips on what it's like and places to stay etc etc

You will need to book hotels on the Dalton and at Prudhoe if you are staying up there. There are limited rooms and they fill very fast.

Hi Mr Bilko, thanks for taking the time to reply.
Alaska has been part of the plan for a while.
Not having the time to ride around the world non stop Ive been doing it in stages.
The idea was to visit the far north, south, east and west of the globe (ish)
been to nordcap, ridden to vladivostok, ridden from santiago to ushuaia only need prudhoe bay
and south africa, so this year it's Alaska.
Once thats done plan to start looking at Australasia.
Would have loved to join one of your rides, just didn't have the time last year and your not going that way this year.
Im happy with my research so far, we only plan to book a hotel in deadhorse and maybe Coldfoot, take our chances every where else.
Taking camping gear as there are some fantastic locations to camp.
Only concern is the bears but I can run faster than my mate so all good there.
But if you have any advice or know of any special locations we would be grateful.
We have hired klr650's for ten day's, plan to ride to Deadhorse and back in six or seven days then
with what time left head down the Kenai area.
cheers, Paul.

Paul

A couple of thoughts on your plans. We ride the Dalton in 3 days due to time limitations and it's tough if the weather is dodgy but very do-able. You have given it 6 or 7 days and to be honest, I really don't know what you will find to do because there is precious little there apart from a road following a pipe and your time may be better employed riding in Kenai and Denali.

In Fairbanks. go to the Universtity of Fairbanks for cheap and basic rooms which are around $70 per night. Good cafe on the main drag at the entrance called the Sourdough with cracking Reindeer sausages!

You will have to book your rooms in Prudhoe Bay in advance and it will cost you $200 at www.deadhorsecamp.com for a very basic room. Food there will be $20 per head for a good buffet. There is nothing to do in Prudhoe apart from the Arctic tour which again is bookable through deadhorse camp. This hotel is on the left hand side as you enter Deadhorse so be careful you don't miss it because it's not signed!! There is a post office for stickers and odds and sods and fuel. Be warned that teh fuel station is self serve and only takes credit cards. We always have issues here so make sure you have a couple of cards in case one doesn't work. There is a hotel called the Aurora where you can get food at lunchtime although it's only really for the workers. This is a huge building by the ocean as you turn right to the post office.

The hotel in Coldfoot is owned by the same people and the same price so my advice is to stay in Wiseman which is another 20 miles up the road. We use www.boreallodge.com and you will get a basic cabin for $100. You will have to book in advance but the owner Heidi is very helpful and will always try to squeeze you in. She also works at the excellent visitor centre in Coldfoot which is opposite the services. If you stay in Wiseman which is a very interesting small ex gold mining town, make sure you fill with food and fuel at Coldfoot because it's the last fuel for 240 miles!!

Also, make sure you call in to the Hot Shot Cafe which is around 6 miles north of the Yukon crossing. Excellent milkshakes and the biggest burgers you've ever seen. Fuel at the Yukon crossing and then go to the hotshot for grub is my advice.

If the weather is good, you'll fly up and down but if the weather is wet, you will be in for a fairly tough time because the road conditions vary from good tarmac to thick mush which is like ice!! There is a corner called "Oh shit" corner for good reason as it's packed deep gravel! The temperatures also will vary from hot in some parts to snow on the Atigun and feezing rain near Prudhoe.....all on the same day so take good riding kit. Also, take as little kit as you can because loaded bikes are horrible on the road. If you want to camp up there, best of luck because you will be eaten alive by mosquitos!! I wouldn't bother so would ride with a lighter bike.

Before you ride up there, call in to see Dan and Shawn at wwwadventurecycleworks.com for a mileage map of the road and a blather. They are great guys in there and call in on the way back for a bike clean as it's cheaper and better than a car wash.

This is how I would plan it and you'll have plenty of time to see everything on and just off the road:

Day 1: Fairbanks to Wiseman 270 miles of mostly good roads
Day 2: Wiseman to Prudhoe 230 miles over the Atigun and across the tundra on very variable road surfaces!!
Day 3: Prudhoe to Wiseman 230 miles
Day 4: Wiseman to Fairbanks

A few tips:

Fuel where you can and take a spare can. Adventure Cycle Works will rent you one because running out will ruin your day.
Ride with minimum gear especially if its wet.
Watch the trucks and don't try and out think them. They run very quickly if it's dry and if they are behind you, let them past. The drivers are generally pretty good but get nervous behind bikes because of the road surface.
Take 100% deet bug spray because nothing else keeps the little fuckers at bay. they will bite through 2 or 3 layers no problem.
Be careful of road conditions because they change very quickly especially if it's wet. You may have to turn back if it's too bad!!
Enjoy the ride because not all that many get to Prudhoe for lots of reasons.

Attachments

• Fuel.JPG
    Fuel.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 236
  • Dalton6.JPG
    Dalton6.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 241
  • Dalton10.JPG
    Dalton10.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 236
  • Dalton14.JPG
    Dalton14.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 233
Thanks for that Sgt.
that advice is great and tally's with my research.
The six days weve planned included the ride from Anchorage, plan to do the Dalton as quick as possible weather permitting.
Also already planning to stop in Wiseman at the same lodges you mention. Am I right in thinking that Deadhorse will only take bookings a week in advance?
As for the camping, was probably a romantic notion, we have experienced the Siberian mozzy and have no desire to suffer the Alaskan blood suckers.
However, it seems advisable to have a meens of shelter in case you have a problem and end up stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Really excited now, just booked the flights.
Paul.

You need to e-mail Deadhorse Camp very early to tell them the dates and they may take the booking. They never know until spring time how many rooms they will have because teh oil workers take priority. I have to book very early because having 10 tired tossers turn up with no booking would not be ideal for my health. never had a problem so far. If the worst comes to the worst, you can easily do Wiseman Deadhorse Wiseman in a day.

ESTA
My understanding is, that it is valid for two years, multiple trips and maximum of 90 days stay.

However, suppose I fly into, say, Anchorage, spend 30 days in Alasks, travel on into Canada and spend another 30 days in this country before heading south into America, do I then have a further 90 days available on my Visa(ESTA) or the balance, that is 90 days minus the 30 days already spent in Alaska, leaving 60 days available to tour the USA?

ESTA
My understanding is, that it is valid for two years, multiple trips and maximum of 90 days stay.

That is bang on. If you want to stay longer in the USA than 90 days, you need to get a 6 month tourist visa from the US embassy. On entry to the US, they will ask you when your exit from the USA is so they know you are leaving and mark your passport with a date 3 months on. However, as you will be leaving the USA and will be in Canada for 30 days, technically you should have another 90 days when you get back into the USA but you must get US immigration to stamp your passport with this when you go across the border.

Lots of people do that and hope it makes sense.

Paul,

Top advice from Bilco - even his choice of hotels and cafes is spot on!

We did Alaska a couple of years ago, including the Dalton. Five of us planned and did the trip together, no guide or any of that stuff. Everything Bilco says matches what we found, so I'd go with his wise words.

I still have a copy of our tour book, with routes (3 weeks, including Dalton, Top of the World to Dawson and Denali Higway). PM me if you'd like a copy..

Richard

Flights booked and payed for, bikes booked and payed for, Boreall lodge in Wiseman booked,
Alaska here we come!!!
Chris, Hiedi said to say "Hi".

Back
Top Bottom