MP3 Players

Jimb

Which one is the best to use on a bike, anyone got one, likes & dislikes, cd type or solid state.

Music

I have today been looking at a CD type with MP3 at Dixons

Panasonic with 35 battery life and free car kit for use when not on the bike Price £85

It looks as though it will plug straight into the Autocom system

I'm told that you will get about 150 tracks on a single CD which equates to about 11 hours play time

Obviously bigger in size than a dedicated MP3 player but bear in mind that if you are touring, then the download to the MP3 player is all you get and when the memory is full, you can't change the music unless you buy extra memory or come across a friendly foreigner who will download more for you on his PC.

The CD type means that you can throw in a couple of extra discs each with 150 tracks !

Had a creative jukebox (6GB), two negatives for me USB is slow for transferring MP3's, volume not loud enough for use with Autocom. Now I am with Apple iPod, a sensational piece of kit if ever there was - firewire/iLink connection, 20GB capacity, excellent user interface and plenty loud enough, form, funtion, design all topnotch - typical Apple really :D

(PS now in Windows flavour too!)

Re: Music

Adrian B said:
I have today been looking at a CD type with MP3 at Dixons

Yup got one. The SlimX great bit of kit, even has a FM radio. 10-12 albums is enough for me. I don't use it on the bike coz I just don't have the mental capacity to be fully switched on and listening to music. Besides I know that if I play music I really like I often get the felling of invincibility on a bike this may be a bit foolish.

At the time I bought I considered the juke box stuff and thought to big. Perhaps they are neater now.

BTW : SlimX is the iRiver product. iRiver make these things for those Diamond Rio people. See http://www.iriver.com/ You can get suppliers in the uk who will get 'em for you. Generally you will get more for your money buying this way rather than the Rio stuff. I mention as I guess the Dixons one could be Rio. Last I look that was all they stocked.

I prefer solid state players - much smaller, usually better battery life, and very rugged. (CD player gets damp - even just condensation on the lens - and it's scrap).

Adrian B has a point about amount of files you can store - CD's are much cheaper, but are larger to carry, and you still have to keep them dry.

Read a test a while back, and Compact Flash is the most indestructable storage media - they threw it out of 3rd floor windows, put it through a washing machine, even microwaved it, and it still worked. Compact Flash prices are reasonable enough for you to carry a few extra cards.

If you want to be extra-cheap (like me), check out:

http://www.digitaldreamco.com/shop/acatalog/Digital_Dream_Co_MP3_Player_2.html

MP3 player for £25! You need to buy your own CF card, and a card reader/writer, but you can still set up a system with loads of storage for under £100. No LCD on the player, so it's hard to pick a particular track, but the battery life is brilliant, and I haven't managed to break it yet. I've had it plugged into my Autocom, and it sounds fab (and plenty loud enough)

Steve.

Re: Re: Music

Malcolm said:

At the time I bought I considered the juke box stuff and thought to big. Perhaps they are neater now.
The creative jobbie was a bit cumbersome - no bigger than a portable CD player but the UI was a bit weak and browseing not that clever - the iPod is IMHO the dogs doo-dahs and very tasty looking with it, go see at www.apple.com/ipod

Please don't guffaw at the price, remeber this is Apple territory and it comes at price, but nothing comes close I believe in the market.

(As an aside being firewire it can act as a portable hard disk and solve your back-up/file transfer problems too, not forgetting the calendar/address book/clock features.)

MINIDISK MINIDISK MINIDISK

have a minidisk plugged into my helmet speakers..
works a treat, long play can hold 2 albums on one disk, cheap and easy to copy cds or whatever.. the minidisk is tough a snails, battery life is great.. rechargeable battery l;asts for about 2 days, or a duracell lasts twice that..

minidisks are small compact, dont suffer from knocks and skipping.. greta sound quality, and less hassle to copy ..

ok you cant have 20 gigs of mp3 on one disk but its easy enough to change a disk every hour..

the new net minidisks use mp3 stored on your disk which means they can hold about 3-4 albums on one disk.. not bad.. my brother has one but its a bit of a pain to plug into your pc and record everything..

im a bit lazy is all.. but it is a good system....

regards

pthgaonal

I agree with Pthagonal, minidisk is terrific. I have the Sony NZ1 so I can dump loads of MP3 files onto it from my computer, the sound is great and it's lovely neat bit of kit. Richer Sounds have the best prices.

baggyns.

minidisc

likewise my Baggyns

tried MP3 and I'm sure its better now but it seemed all a bit painful at the time, Minidiscs easy and robust.

Thanks Guys

Many thanks guys, there's enough options there to keep me occupied, I to will use it via an Autocom with filtered earplugs in som it has to be loud enough thru' the plugs.

Cheers :beerjug:

Judge

When you use the Apple Ipod with the autocom, are you able to still use the remote control and if so where do you stash everything on the bike ?

I was looking at the ipod and wondered if it was possible to mount the remote near the handlebars and the ipod in a tankbag.

Also is it possible to run the power from the bike as well ?

Simon :dj

I use a 20GB Ipod on my bike for everyday commute, the lead to the remote is about 50cm and reaches the cross bar on the bars, you do need to make sure your headphones are long enough though! Don't bother with this much now though as just leave it playing on random.

As for power, never needed it as the battery lasts a good 9 hours between charges.

Storage is no problem as the unit is the same size as a packet of cigs.

To give you a real example of how many songs you can get on it, I have managed to fill mine, but have 433 CD's on it or 4723 tracks! The PC software is telling me I have 13.6 days of continueous music available!!!!

The best toy I have bought for year (that was not a bike anyway!).

cecilthecat said:
Judge

When you use the Apple Ipod with the autocom, are you able to still use the remote control and if so where do you stash everything on the bike

I was looking at the ipod and wondered if it was possible to mount the remote near the handlebars and the ipod in a tankbag.

I don't use it with the remote control on the bike, it is very diddy and no way will you be able to operate it with gloves on. The iPod lives in the tank bag. Easily accessible at a comfort break to change the artist or whatever.

Also is it possible to run the power from the bike as well ?

Simon :dj
You might be able to get a power lead that drops to 12V but it runs for 10 hours on a full charge and I couldn't spend anything like that long in the saddle. Set up some play lists or choose an artist and listen till you stop.

David Grey all the way back from Bakerman's yesterday - helped with the tedious M3/M25 in heavy traffic :D

Cheers guys it looks as if I may invest in an Ipod.

One last question I will use it with a PC so do I need to install a firewire interface card or can I connect it to an existing port eg USB RS232 etc... ?

Hi cecilthecat,

Congratulations on your 100th post.

The iPod does require a firewire link.
visit AppleUK iPod page for more info.

The iPod can be recharged via the firewire link. Also there a a few members of my local Mac Users Group who use thier iPods as portable hard drives and keep pictures and files on it as a back up and transfer medium.

Regards
Andy80F

Visit also This link for accessories, there are plenty of similar sites. The power lead from a car power socket is listed at 25 Euro (+VAT)

Attachments

• index_top07112002.jpg
    index_top07112002.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 102
Re: Re: Music

Malcolm said:
Besides I know that if I play music I really like I often get the felling of invincibility on a bike this may be a bit foolish.

Good point Malky, I am a loopy b@rstard on 4 wheels with the right music, on 2 the music would very quickly become.. Heavenly?

:angel

Back
Top Bottom