Serial Port / USB Port

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know I should've asked Malky this at Eynsford....

I've just got a new laptop to replace my PC. Unfortunately, it's so new, with so many new ports etc that it hasn't got a Serial Port. I use the Serial Port to program my StreetPilot lll & to synch my Psion Revo (the Psion connector also has a power input, re-charging the Psion when it's docked).
Can anyone out there help? I went to PC World and asked them - well, you can guess the rest (their adverts about staff training just crack me up!).

MikeO:(

have a look at scan.co.uk might have a external dock for serial port..

what type of laptop is it.. i have docking stations for a few diff dells and some compaqs..

might fit..

or else u could see how much a docking station is for the laptop..

regards

ian

Re: ............

Pthagonal said:
what type of laptop is it.. i have docking stations for a few diff dells and some compaqs..

It's a Time Traveller XP1.8, if that means anything to you !

MikeO:confused:

ps I was hoping that someone would come up with an adaptor which would allow me to convert one of the USB ports into a serial port - or am I showing the vast ignorance I feel when talking on these (& other) subjects???

Mike,

Psion do (used to do?) a USB/Serial port adaptor for £30. Works fine with my 5mx so should work for your Revo. Can't answer for the GPS though. Psion's product code is 04-863. www.psion.com

Paul

MIKE OUGHTON said:
. Unfortunately, it's so new, with so many new ports etc that it hasn't got a Serial Port. I use the Serial Port to program my StreetPilot lll
MikeO:(

I use a Belkin USB~Serial port adaptor for the very use you mention. My Dell Latitude laptop is minus a serial port as well. Unfortunately, the transfer rate is at serial port speed so to load 24MB of mapping takes around 45 minutes. I bought mine from................................PCworld!
Things might have moved on since I bought mine with regards to speed. Garmin do their own adapter but I don't know how much £££.

Re: Re: Serial Port / USB Port

Howard Millichap said:

I use a Belkin USB~Serial port adaptor for the very use you mention. My Dell Latitude laptop is minus a serial port as well. Unfortunately, the transfer rate is at serial port speed so to load 24MB of mapping takes around 45 minutes. I bought mine from................................PCworld!
Things might have moved on since I bought mine with regards to speed. Garmin do their own adapter but I don't know how much £££.

Thanks for that Howard. I got a USB card loader with my SPlll, so I can load maps at speed, but can't program routes in. The main reason I want a serial port is to synch up my Psion, though.

Thanks to everyone for their advice, I've ordered an adaptor from pfranc.com, for £25 (delivered). Hopefully this'll do the job...

MikeO:)

Adaptor arrived this morning, fitted & works fine. Lynks Cables - top people!

Thanks to everyone for their help

MikeO:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom