Sportsters

Captain Black

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Is the 883 crap compared with the 1200 ?

Or are they still fun to play on ?

Also what range does the tank give ?

yes as a town (ish) bike the 1200 is better but there all still fun the 48 being the coolest one (please ignore coolest one if needed and insert a phrase that fits your age (not mental age)

If i can find a nice cheap one, in good nick, a 1200 Sportster could be my next bike, dump the Airhead and build a street scrambler HD, for me its a Triumph or Harley decision, i'd always go for CC, as they say "there's no substitute for CC's"

I rode an 883 for an afternoon and whilst it was OK, i thought it needed a bit 'more'.

Is the 883 crap compared with the 1200 ?

Yep!..

I bought this one new in 1989 (Girlfriend at the time on it not me :rolleyes:). I'd love another one and would happily swap my FLHS for a decent 1200 (Hint!). The marzzochi rear shocks and beefed up fork springs made it handle well.

Harley048_zpsa30ca2df.jpg

It's a long time ago....late 80's, but I ran an 883 all over Europe.....100% reliable, lovely 'Olde Worlde' sort of thing....Cheap to run and beyond simple to look after.

Times change, and so have I, but I still look back on that bike as great bit of kit.....You have sort of got to get 'into' it....It's NOT fast, but you're not bothered. I went on to Big Twins and a V-Rod, but the simplicity of that little Sporty has stuck in my head. A simple,reliable,cheap to run motorbike......Loved it....:thumb2

yes as a town (ish) bike the 1200 is better but there all still fun the 48 being the coolest one (please ignore coolest one if needed and insert a phrase that fits your age (not mental age)

So is the age limit 48 ?

Yep!..

I bought this one new in 1989 (Girlfriend at the time on it not me :rolleyes:). I'd love another one and would happily swap my FLHS for a decent 1200 (Hint!). The marzzochi rear shocks and beefed up fork springs made it handle well.

Harley048_zpsa30ca2df.jpg

Good to see your taking good care of your crash helmet... :blast

That helmet had a 1975 date inside it. Was sprayed at least twice and had a 6" split up the back of it from when I fell off in the early eighties. I binned it in the mid nineties. 20 years out of a helmets pretty good?

The bad thing about 883's is they are quite simply underpowered, especially considering how heavy they've become when they went rubber mounted. They are the same engine other than bore size and I believe they have a lower overall final drive also. Not sure about throttle body size?
But 883's can usually be found a lot cheaper than 1200's and with the savings you can turn it into a 1200 with better parts. Not sure how involved it is to up the final ratio on Sportsters but going up one tooth on the front pulley should help and be doable w/o changing the belt. And it's still a 883 as far as insurance company is concerned.

I bought a Sportster 72 in August, I managed about 700 miles on it before tucking it away for the winter, got to say it's very enjoyable, my first Harley so although I fancied a Road King I was reluctant to put that amount of money in to a brand I had never experienced, glad I got the sportster now.

883 not very exhilarating I got bored quick, slam 1200 barrels and pistons on and it will be slightly quicker than a standard 12 as slightly more compression. But I got fed up with the wind blast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 1200 Sportsters are great fun, and pretty quick too! My Nightster below. I've not tried an 883.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1394129202.888909.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1394129202.888909.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 234

Back
Top Bottom