kite mark on helmets

twodogs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
could anyone enlighten me as to the law on buying helmets abroad, as i am going away and was considering getting a new lid while away. i,me not sure about whether they would be legal over here or not (ie; do i need a kite mark ) any advice would be much appreciated

In all honesty, I can't imagine a Police Officer giving a jot about it. Unless you are an out-and-out a***hole, which I'm sure you're not, his mind will be on document offences, roadworthiness offences, speeding offences and it the bike stolen or not.
Retired Plod.

In all honesty, I can't imagine a Police Officer giving a jot about it. Unless you are an out-and-out a***hole, which I'm sure you're not, his mind will be on document offences, roadworthiness offences, speeding offences and it the bike stolen or not. Retired plod

DITTO
Unless the helmet looked like a bag of the proverbial s***e.

non retired

To be honest,the price here isn't that different to England.
However,I believe the testing standards are lower in Europe.
Obviously if anyone knows different,please correct me.
Also,for racing in England,an ACU Gold label- approved helmet was the norm,however,for tarmac hill-climbs here,any helmet that is legal for the road,(full-face),can be worn.
I've been told it's the same for circuit racing,but do not know for a fact.
It's funny that England is led to believe Europe is regulation mad,yet the opposite is often the case,look at the after-market warranty legislation for example.

I think I'm right in saying that it's an E mark that's now required, rather than a BS kitemark, so a European sourced helmet shouldn't be an issue...

Mike:)

Congratulations, Mike O gets the prize!!!!:wave

Indeed the 'E' mark is the one that is required these days. As I understand it, the British Standard test is actually harder for maufacturers to pass than the EU test. However, as the EU one is only legally required, then they dont bother to put the pruducts through the BS testing.

FB

'E' mark stickers are readily available on 'tinterweb.

Apparently.

;)

Paul Narramore said:
In all honesty, I can't imagine a Police Officer giving a jot about it. Unless you are an out-and-out a***hole, which I'm sure you're not, his mind will be on document offences, roadworthiness offences, speeding offences and it the bike stolen or not.
Retired Plod.

Your obviously still living on planet plod.
If the bloody peelers can spend 10k on pursuing someone for eating an apple.
Turn up with no kite mark on your helmet and your going down my son!!

thank you all for the feedback am a little wiser about it now , i think !, i,ll be checking out prices when i,me over there and will take it from there cheers.

If you need an ACU stamp for competition use, you can send the helmet to the ACU at Rugby and they will put a nice sticker on for you. They will give the helmet a good check over first though.

Droopy Dick said:
In a similar vein, I was told that my UK helmet would not be legal on my extended USA holiday tour next year

By whom? (just curious - most states have extremely liberal helmet laws and few enforce them).

Information from the US embassy.

Luckily I have Green card so I don't need to go through the hassle of getting a visa for an extended stay.

A neighbour of mine in Florida who is a policeman did say that no-one would look at it, especially as it is a Shoei. He intimated, as you said, that even in those states that required a helmet, you'd only get pulled for something that looked very shoddy.

FWIW, both SWMBO and I have been wearing DOT and Snell marked Arais which we bought in California, for some time now. They're both wearing Gold ACU stickers now, but obviously they don't have the BS sticker which was current at the time.

Somebody (JN Robert??) posted a list of US States that have no helmet law - there were only about 5. I can tell you that the vast majority of motorcyclists I saw were not wearing helmets, whether the state required it or not - so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it...

The EU standard for helmets is ECE 22/05 or something like that. All helmets sold within the EU should comply with this standard. They will have an e-mark sewn into the strap or the lining with a E number and another number that starts off 05. This indicates that it meets the standard.

Take a look here for more information.

Bob

PS take a look at the Snell Foundation website for info about the US laws and standards ( and more general stuff relating to helmets.

want this?

i have the article from MCN from April 7th 2004 about the recent changes in Euro laws regarding lids and ACU/BS/Kite standards.
if anyone wants it - let me know - will happily post it to you...
...before i light the fire with it:D

Og.
MCN; actually some use for a change!:)

Bob Southgate actually gets the prize.

If you can still find a helmet with a Kite mark the chances are it's so old you won't want it!

To be legal you will need the long number (often found on a white label on the strap) to start with 05. There will be a big circle with the letter "E" and a number. This refers to the country it was tested in so don't worry if it isn't 05!

A little quirk - you don't need a visor or goggles on a bike, but if you use them these should also have the "05" europen number on them.

And just another thought on the "plods won't catch you" theme: The police probably don't care much as long as you are wearing a helmet, but you can be sure that the insurance company won't pay out for your long term care if they can prove your helmet wasn't legal.

Don't mean to sound morbid but a cheap helmet is a false economy.

Back
Top Bottom