Basecamp Virgin - Mac

itspilsbury

Reaction score
Okay, I have been doing some routes on Basecamp since I bought my Mac and after a bit of perseverance I feel like I am getting the hang of it.
Any way a week or so I updated my 660 with the latest maps 2014.40 and also the computer.
In Basecamp it shows 2014.40 and the sat Nav shows 2014.40 & 2014.40 3D.
When I plug my 660 into the computer Basecamp also shows the 3D version but as 2014.20 3D.
I sent 2 routes to my 660 and it said the routes have been created with a different map to the one on Basecamp, do you want to recalculate the maps first (WHAT !!!!!! They are the same map 2014.40). I selected NO and downloaded the routes.
When I switched the sat Nav on it asked if I wanted to recalculate new routes recently installed. I selected YES and it said it was recalculating ---- for the next bloody half hour, so I switched off. Re powered it up and went into my routes and they are there.
I deleted them and back to the computer and thought how about recalculate the routes in 2014.20 3D - nope the route then went all over the place with straight lines etc.
So back to square one and sent them in 2014.40 and when it asked me to recalculate before sending this time I clicked YES, bloody sat Nav again asked me if I wanted to recalculate the new routes.
What is happening ??
What am I doing wrong ??
Thanks,
Ian

I would reinstall maps to device & Mac & do a hard reset on your device & see what that brings. Also check your activity profile settings are the same on BaseCamp & device as this will change routes.

Whilst 3D maps are route-able they appear to have a very basic road layout with only major roads with the curves straightened out, much like the basemap. Despite having 2014.40 mapping on my 660 the 3D mapping is showing as 2014.1. The 3D mapping that shows in the menu of your Zumo is different, that's just the eye candy buildings (i usually switch those off). Neither are any use for route planning in Basecamp or route following on your GPS. Ignore them basically, just use City Nav 2014.40 on both.

Depending on how you load your maps your Garmin will ask to recalculate your routes anyway. This should be OK so long as you've normalised both Basecamp and your Zumo. Video here, has been a while since I did this and it's for the Windows version of Basecamp. However, it should still be relevant. I did a fresh Basecamp install a couple of weeks ago and the crazy avoidances were still there on the M/C profile.

I did a fresh Basecamp install a couple of weeks ago and the crazy avoidances were still there on the M/C profile.

Are you referring to the default settings before changing the settings as per your video?

Are you referring to the default settings before changing the settings as per your video?

Yes, the ones in the video aren't exact as I had already corrected them but there were plenty set that shouldn't have been. This was on a Windows PC though I can't see that it would be set-up differently on a Mac. I had backed up the Basecamp data on my old PC and imported it into the fresh Basecamp install on the shiny new Windows 8 PC. All looked OK until I did a recalc. Thankfully this time I knew where to look for the answer.

The imported null 'none' profile when importing a Mapsource route, or using the car one, is all well and good until you load it onto the Zumo and then put it into the bike cradle. This switches the Zumo to it's own bike profile with similar avoidances, a recalc then and the route will likely change.

Back
Top Bottom