VALEO STARTER MOTORS - HAVE THEY IMPROVED?

Duncan Richmond

Reaction score
The bike is suffering with a slugish startermotor, I have had it bench tested by a local workshop (I am in Syria) I didn't witness it but the guy said it worked fine, he stripped it and cleaned it up. I put it back on the bike and cleaned up all the connections, battery leads and the switch. There does not seem to be much improvement,although it does start the bike Ok. the motor is probably about 20 years old (Bosch) which replaced a clapped out Valeo. Anyone know if Valeo have soughted out the problems ? as I was thinking of splashing out on new Valeo motor.

Thanks for your time

Duncan

P.S battery is A1

Valeos sound less agricultural, spin faster, then break.

great while they're going though :)

Thanks, I won't bother then.

Where did soughted come from ?!!

Is it worth changing the relay as everything else seems ok?

Valeo Rebuild

For interest to all GS owners, the following link gives details on rebuilding the (non rebuildable :p ) Valeo Sh*te starters. I have a spare as mine packed up a few days before our Estonia trip and I'm going to rebuild it as a spare....it's only a matter of time.....
Lots of other interesting tech stuff here (or on links) too. Happy spannering :rolleyes:

http://www.largiader.com/tech/valeo/

Duncan Richmond said:
Thanks, I won't bother then.

Where did soughted come from ?!!

Is it worth changing the relay as everything else seems ok?

if the relay works, it works. don't replace.

is there anywhere local that can test/recon your bosch properly?

fritz, place down the road from me is happy to rebuild valeo's i believe. i never knew they were non rebuildable :confused:

I gave it to my Syrian freind he is a driver where I work and deals with all things mechanical, trouble is here is that if something vaguely works then it is considered ok. I doubt if the proper tests were performed, probably spun it up on a truck battery ! only cost me £2 anyway . It maybe the soleinoid as the armature looks in good shape and has been cleaned up and I have compared the brushes to a new set and they are not very worn. There is a bit of delay between pressing the start button and the motor spinning up. Do you know if the soleinoid is available as a seperate unit ?

Thanks

cookie said:
fritz, place down the road from me is happy to rebuild valeo's i believe. i never knew they were non rebuildable :confused:

Rebuildable means "putting a new outside casing on". The common problem with these is the magnets fall off inside and jam it up. They are glued to the outer casing.
Solutions :-
1/ take it apart and drill and tap the magnets. Then screw them on from outside.
2/ get a new casing put on. Incidently...these starters are also used on Peugoet/Citroen cars. 104/Visa I believe. So if you're stuck in the middle of France...etc. etc.. Wish I'd known that when mine fell to bits near Chambery!!

So the question is, should I keep the latest starter on, or rebuild the old one and stick it back on...questions questions...good shout on the magnet mounting Howard - doesn't desensitise them ? Are they difficult to drill ? Once I've got me Torx I'll start work, hell, I might even post some piccies. Cheers, ;)

I've rebuilt the Valeo starter on my 1990 R100 GS twice so far.

The first time, I glued two magnets back into the starter motor housing. That lasted about 4 years.

The second time, I used a Valeo starter motor housing from a GM Saturn car. The magnets were redesigned. All I know is that they are still attached after all these years.

Valeo Starter Rebuild

Back
Top Bottom