Sheffield - Manchester

Tommy Gunn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Morning all.
I'm heading over to Swinton on Saturday from Lincoln.
I'll be in the car & will have the wife with me & fancy a leisurely, scenic trip through the Peak District, stopping off for some snap somewhere in the Peaks. The plans is to go via Sheffield, up the Eccleshall Road & head out that way.
I've had a look at Google maps and the Hope Valley is a possibility. I'd rather avoid Woodhead & Snake passes.
Any suggestions for alternative routes & somewhere scenic where I can get a Full English Breakfast & the little lady can get a some cake & a coffee please?
Thanx in advance.

The Yonderman is highly regarded; Wardlow Mires (between Stoney Middleton and Pealk Forest.
Woodbine at Hope a bit more expensive.
Or the cafe at Grindleford station!

Last edited:
Why aren't you working ?

Anyways, up Eccy Road turn off right and go up Ringinglow Road, up over the tops, bear right to Stanage Edge along the "back road" ( pics of which Andrew posted yesterday :thumb2) until you join the road from Ladybower to Bamford. Turn left, through Bamford, then right to Castleton ( super duper chocalate cake and lemon cake in the Rose Cottage cafe but DO NOT order a can of 7Up as the robbing cnuts charged me £1.75 the other week for one :mad:. castleton up Winnats Pass then over the top and down towards the badlands of the Manchester urban sprawl.price of a coffee

As for snap, depends what you want. if it's a full English, then as t&t says, the Yonderman cafe at Wardlow is cracking...just turn left before you get to Castleton and driven through Tideswell 'til you get to the bloody main road. the Cafe is a mile to ya left. Then there's Grindleford Station....cracking breakfast there too while ya watch the trains going in and out of the Totley Tunnel....absolute heaven !

If the weather's as good as it's been then I will be out this Saturday and could give you "safe passage" through the Peaks for the price of a coffee. ( Live near Eccleshall Road, as does arr Andrew :thumb ...gissa shout/P.M.)

Well you're all very kind. Thank you. Had a butcher's on Google Street view & Grindleford station looks favourite. Yonderman looks okay too but I suspect would not meet Sarah's exacting standards.
We'll be in the car unfortunately but we should meet up for a spin & a brew sooner rather than later, then one of you could help me get to grips with this sh1tty new fecking bike of mine.

Cheers Andrew. Panning out to be a decent weekend hopefully.
Spin through the Peak District, albeit in the car.
Adventure Bike Warehouse for a free chilli & a look at the Klim clothing.
Chitter chatter with Bilco & a few others over a few beers, about a forthcoming trip to America/Canada.
Ireland winning the 6 Nations.
Overnight in Manchester.
What's not to like?
Might well pop into Jaguar Sheffield on the way through for a mooch around & natter with that young un who used to work at Rainbow (whose name I can't remember), time dependant of course.

If any of you are about on the bikes & find yourselves held up by a farty old fossil in a Black faux Jaguar Estate* with numbers 5 and 58 & a Laguna Seca sticker on the back, please accept my apologies in advance. :thumby:

* Copyright JohnnyBoxer. :clap

Possibly see you in Manchester tomorrow Tinytim?

Thanx for the tips chaps. We took the route suggested by Tinytim & ate at Grindleford railway station.
A grand day was had by both of us. :thumb2

Noted The Yonderman on the way past & will give this a try when we head to Buxton for an overnighter next month.

Thanx for the tips chaps. We took the route suggested by Tinytim & ate at Grindleford railway station.
A grand day was had by both of us. :thumb2

Noted The Yonderman on the way past & will give this a try when we head to Buxton for an overnighter next month.

Good stuff . Chores tied me up then I overdosed on Six nations Rugby and 2 large "Huntsman's" Pork Pies.

Back
Top Bottom