Have an idea and need feedback?

Boz

Reaction score
Hi All,

In my early days I trained as an illustrator and designer, worked freelance for many years painting for galleries, commissions and commercial work....

As it happened I got a little side tracked, but I've alwawys wanted to get back into it and give it a real go. The idea I have is to paint, draw illustrate bikes and biking, but not in the usual bike on road or sports bike/track picture. I feel these capture none of the spirt of I believe is true biking or what all of use do every weekend or holiday.

If you can imagine, paintings or images of your favourite time out, could be out with friends, on holiday, or just you and machine on your favouite road.....I want to capture that and I want to know if any of you guys would be willing to pay for work like that?

Now I know I really need to show you what I'm on about and I hope to in a few months when I completed some initial work, but in the mean time I've posted a few older pieces of work to give you an idea of my work. The work is over 6 years old now so I would hope my skills would of improved in the mean time.

Like I say any feedback would be much appreciated, although I guess I'm going to go ahead with it anyway!

Cheers

Nik

Interior1.jpg

NewYork1.jpg

Interior2.jpg

Nice work!

I might be interested depending on how much you are thinking of.

I already buy one off's by a local artist who does quirky cartoons.
Amazing thing about him is he is totally colourblind.

Let me know when you have some idea of the cost's.

Good stuff

Boz,

That looks like a good idea, we would pay for some work (once you give us an idea of price). How would you go about it, from holiday snaps?

You need to bring one or two bits to some meeting to show us what you mean, then I think you'll get more interest, also tell the other web site the gs club uk. org (without the gaps), there might be one or two over there that will be interested..

Good Luck, and keep us posted if your going ahead, as I said we're interested depending on price/size, etc.

Dave & Val
Plymouth

Thanks for that guys, will have a look and see if I can work out a price!

Yea, I could work from photos, life that lot...but like you say I need to get some examples done and show them at a few events...

Will keep you up to date on my progress.

Nik :)

Getting the commisions will be your make or break

My ex partner paints from home and is like yourself gifted in this area. She was charging approx £300 for a portrait but I always thought the time she spnt doing them together with cost of materials etc...was not alot. She is giving up after 2 years as the work is so sporadic. She has literally won evry competition shes entered and all her paintings get sold at the art shows but she says unless you can get steady work its a real pain.

This is one of her first pieces which is so accurate of the woman in question its scary.

Good luck if you pursue this as I think it can be rewarding if the markets there.

AndyT

Attachments

• painting.jpg
    painting.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 556
I know what you mean Andy, I've been there, and to be honest its why I stopped and got what seemed to be a real job!

It can be very hard and demoralising at times, and you have to either have other jobs to support you or have a steady stream of work coming in from differing areas.

I know that I wont be happy until I've taken a real good shot at it, can't be any worse than doing what I do now...apart from the money of course!!

Thanks for all the comments from all out there.

Cheers

Nik:beerjug:

Nik,
I didn't realise what a talented bloke you were from the way you were riding on Sunday. :D

Needless to say, the examples of your work are quite impressive.

I think that there is definately a market for your paintings, however I'm not quite sure if its big enough to make a living out off.

Get back into it as a money making hobby, then see how it goes.

Keith

I like your work and would be interested in getting you to do something for us. Do you work from photographs? and how much do you envisage charging?

Good question...I can work from anything , just need to have as much reference as possible, to get the scence your looking for.

Prices, well I guess it would come down to what size, subject matter, colour/black or white, medium....but at the moment I guess i wouldn't charge too much as its a good way of getting back in to it.

Say prices between £100-300, but like I said depends on above!

Cheers

Nik

Hi all,

Seems like all the artists are in the same boot.
My father in law has the similar talent and has been a graphic designer for the best part of 40 years now.

He really does some great things - one of his specialities is classic cars / bikes and horses - the detail is just amazing.

The pictures are mostly in watercolour and gouache and or pen!

Now semi-retired he has got time and is looking for work so his prices are very reasonable.

I shall get some pictures and post them here over the next couple of days!

Sorry Boz - do not want to steal your thunder or your business - I am sure you understand I just want to look after my dad in law!

As promised some examples of his work.
I hope you like it!!

Sorry was not possible to attach as file seize is too big.
If anybody is interested in seeing some of his work please let me know.

I have got some great prints of motorbikes, classic cars, historic buildings etc....

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom