CAMP SITES NEAR CORTINA / DOLOMITES

Hi, any recommendations for camp site/s near Cortina
Thanks
jm

I can't help with any places but just a general comment on camping in the mountains. Living in the Alps as I do I find that most Brits. don't take altitude into consideration. However warm it might be in the valleys it can be very cold higher up especially at night. Wherever you camp check the altitude, unless you have the right equipment you could be very uncomfortable. If at all possible camp well below 1,000 metres. We have had people arrive at our place after a night at 1,300 metres so cold that they had to go and stand in the boiler room to thaw out. Remember this is like camping at the summit of Ben Nevis. Most camp sites are at lower altitudes but it is as well to ask the question before you plan to stay.

John

Cortina sits at about 1,200. It will get chilly / cold when the sun drops behind the mountains, trust me.

There are several quite good Italian campsite guides on the internet. Pick the site that suits you best.

I have stayed at one about 1mile north of Cortina,in amongst pine trees across/west of a river.With a huge rock face on the eastern side.
But..cannot remember the name unfortunately.
I.ll see if I can look it up.

Other accommodation in this area tends to be pricey.

Seen the site in Corovara. Right in the best place for pass bagging.

http://www.campingcolfosco.org/index.php?page_id=1050&

Try this hope it works.

Have always stayed at Hotel Olympia 45 to 48 euro bed breakfast evening meal.

If that's too expensive and you decide to camp take winter sleeping bags and thermals.

Whatever you decide the Dolomites are well worth the Trek.:thumby:

Andrew

I was in Cortina in January (stayed at Hotel Natale - which I would recommend). It's a very pretty place - so much so that I thought I'd go back in the summer. That is until I saw just how cool it is even in the height of summer.

As Wappers says, Cortina is at 1200m - higher than anywhere in England or Wales. I wouldn't fancy camping there.

I have camped there - twice at 'Camping Cortina' - this was in early June. only one night did it get cold enough that I wore my thermals in the sleeping bag and then, only because the sleeping bag I took was a two season. it wasn't a mistake as I was heading south to ooh and aah at the Temples at Paestum. and it was ahem.. rather warm down there, south of Napoli and on into Calabria.

great campsite. nice pizzeria and bar on-site thats very popular with the locals.

Very quiet spot... a mile or so outside town - well away from the main road - SS51

As i was there early June, mine was the only tent... i really enjoyed the few days I stayed. so much so that i returned the following year. At the same time.. and it was lovely - no thermals required.

Photo19.jpg~original

its here: http://goo.gl/maps/G4497

Back
Top Bottom