Nav V staying ON

SteveBSW

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've recently bought a Nav V and noticed it stays on when I turn off the ignition. Will only shut down when I remove it from the cradle. Previous Zumo 550 shut down when I turned off the bike. Bike is a 2007 GS. Nav V connected to socket behind headstock. Any ideas?? Thanks.

Have you got an Optimate plugged in to the bike ? My IV comes on at odd times when on charge.

No optimate connected. After riding the bike, take the ign key out, Nav stays on. If I disconnect it at the socket it powers down, but replug it in and it power up again. Looks like socket is staying live.

My nav iv in the bmw 4 button cradle stays on for several minutes after turning off the ignition. Power is still sent to the cradle after ignition off. This is standard on my bike, an 09 1200adv. It also happened with my zumo 550 on my 07 gs. Iirc it is about 2-3 minutes.

Yup same here with my Nav V, it will stay on for approx 4 mins, before powering off, after ignition is off. I think my old 550 took 30 sec's before powering off.

My Nav V switches off automatically when I switch the bike ignition off.
After 30 seconds or so it warns me it's about to power down because the ignition has been switched off and gives me 10 seconds to over ride that and leave it switched on.

As others have said, it will stay on for up to a few minutes after the ignition is switched off (Can Bus stays live for a short while). If, however, it stays on beyond this it could be the charge of your battery is very low. In this situation I believe the low power drain of the SatNav confuses the Can Bus to believe that a charger has been attached, or other device that requires access to the Can Bus, and it leaves the Can Bus on (or something like that). Assuming the battery is in good condition, a good charging cycle will sort it out.

Bob

With the device in the cradle, turned on and powered by the bike's battery, when you turn the ignition off you should get an instant message that say something like: 'External power lost, turning off in X seconds, stay on YES or NO'. The 'X' seconds count down from about 30 to zero.

If you touch NO, the device should power down at once.

If you do nothing, the device should power down when the seconds expire.

If you click YES, the device should stay on, running from its own internal battery.

Somewhat oddly, on my 1600, the message repeats again about four minutes later. This means that the external power has been lost a second time. If I then say YES, then the device stays on for hours on its own battery; I can take it out of the cradle and it stays on. If I click NO, or just leave it to count down, the device switches off, all power having been lost.

I guess that when I first touched YES, the device did not switch to its internal battery; instead it ran on the residual four minutes of power provided by the bike's Canbus system. When that too shut down after a few minutes, the device detected that external power had been lost again, reactivating the prompt.

This sort of makes sense. I guess the device will always default to external power (however brief the supply) if it can, thereby saving the battery.

Thanks for all your replies. Went for a long ride yesterday with a few stops and the satnav is now turning off. BMW electronic gremlins perhaps!??

BMW electronic gremlins perhaps!??
No, the bike battery was probably low on charge as mentioned in my previous post. I've had this happen a couple of times with mine, either a long run on the bike or charging the battery with the Optimate sorts it out.

Bob

With the device in the cradle, turned on and powered by the bike's battery, when you turn the ignition off you should get an instant message that say something like: 'External power lost, turning off in X seconds, stay on YES or NO'. The 'X' seconds count down from about 30 to zero.......

Neither of my two GSs have done this, i.e. the message appearing immediately the ignition is turned off, it has always been a few minutes after switching the ignition off. I can only think that on your K1600 that the Can Bus must be blipping off momentarily on switching the ignition off, before shutting down fully after a few minutes. I wonder if all 16s do this?

Bob

My Nav V switches off automatically when I switch the bike ignition off.
After 30 seconds or so it warns me it's about to power down because the ignition has been switched off and gives me 10 seconds to over ride that and leave it switched on.

Usual bullshit from me - apologies.

I've just checked & I only get the warning message on my 2013 GSA AFTER I've removed the unit from the mount.

I'll get my coat.

Back
Top Bottom