map update just hangs ?

Les Wassall

HiD50.com leading light in HiD
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
new updates installed on my V but when it comes to the new full coverage of europe, it gets to 546 of 547 and just hangs there, there is 1.01 memory left, but I don't know how to put less mapping in, if thats the answer ?

Any pointers appreciated :thumb2

Les, the map updates into the Nav V should go straight in, in full, within the device's current memory.

Mine is running 2014.40 * which was updated using Garmin Express on a Mac. I do remember that it took me a couple of goes to get it loaded. I think that was more to do with operator error (I was new to Mac's and Garmin Express) and a temporarily very slow internet connection. I was used to updates taking about two to three hours, this one I had to leave running overnight. Do check that:

1. Your computer is not suddenly going into sleep mode, which might interrupt the process

2. You are not by mistake trying to load the maps onto an SD card within the device

You could try deleting any unused foreign language help and voice files from the device, which should free some space, though that should not be necessary.

* I think these are the current maps, though I haven't checked recently.

in the V info it says 2014 maps installed, tried doing it three times now, first i restarted as the new soft ware went in, then a voice up grade, then the maps, always hangs on the last one, made sure it did not go into sleep, V seems OK but just don't understand why it will not finnish the down load off, also i have selected a app add on, which is waiting for the map install which will not finish.

can i clear the garmin express and start on other installs / can't seem to find a way to do that ?

Cheers

OK, we have a mystery.

Just before we start, can you do a couple of things for us, please:

(1) If you have a SD card in the device, take it out, please. This is just to eliminate one possibility.

(2) Now, turn on your Nav V

Settings

Map and vehicle

Scroll down

My Maps / Installed maps

What does the screen show?

There may well be three tickable boxes.

What do the words besides the three boxes say?

Which boxes (if any) are ticked?

no sd card installed, and all three boxes ticked.

Europe DEM

CN Europe NTU
2014.10 3D

CN Europe NTU
2014.10 ALL

Cheers

OK, thanks.

So the new maps have definitely not gone in.

Garmin Express should delete the current maps automaticaly when you update to a new mapset.

You now have several options:

1. Update the maps on your PC to the latest version. Then use BaseCamp or Mapsource to send the maps to your device.

2. Delete Garmin Express, reload it and try again.

3. Delete Garmin Express, load Garmin Mapupdater and Garmin Map Installer and use those instead.

You may well have to Google search for the two pieces of software.

If using Mapupdater and Map Installer, be sure that Garmin Express is not on your PC. It is the default software your device will go looking for, so you want to avoid it happening.

Let's try all or any of those.... As the next stage is probably / possibly a hard re-set of your device. Try the less painful ideas first.

does it make a difference if garmin Express and map updater etc are all ready installed ?

re installed garmin express, did the up date and I now have
Europe DEM

CN Europe NTU
2014.40 3D

CN Europe NTU
2014.40 ALL

thanks for the help Mr Wapping Sir :bow:bow:bow:bow very much appreciated :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom