Let the train take the strain?

jp842

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm exploring the idea of putting the bike and myself onto the Motorail from Den Bosch in Holland down to Italy/Slovenia on a one way trip and riding back. Has anyone used this service, was it a pleasant experience, and was it worth the cost etc?

I seem to remember that Whatton did a very good report (complete with photos) about using the Motorail a few years ago.

I looked into it a few times, but TBH I found the website frustrating. :(

Hi Jp842,

I have used the Service twice now. Once with a trip to Pisa with the Lads and another time with the Mrs on a trip to Rome. Both time I have taken one way trip and rode back. It is a wonderful service and worth every penny as it saves you ruining your tyres for the interesting Dolomite's roads and also on hotel fees. You will arrive in Italy fully refreshed. You have a choice of cabins and I will advise not to go for the 6 berth ones as there is not enough space to accommodate 6 people with their luggage and helmets as you cannot leave anything on the bikes if not in the panniers.

I'm booked on the train from Holland to Koper on 30th August, so a bit early for me to give an opinion, but I thought I'd give it a go……….:)

Yep, done the Alps last year using this service. On the train in Dusseldorf, and got off at Innsbruck the next morning. Cheaper than riding down when you take fuel/hotels/wear and tear in to account.

There is nothing to eat or drink on the train, so be prepared. It's cheaper to share a couchette, but take ear plugs. Apart from that, you also gain a days holiday, due to a days extra riding to get there.

Hi,

I believe there is a different service this year from DB Autozug at Dusseldorf. I think their old wagons reached the end of their life, so your bike or car goes by truck instead as you sleep on a train. Could be a better option.

Matt

Thanks guys.. It looks like a good idea as it will save at least 2 days riding with overnight stops and give us more time riding the twisties..

I've used it the past two years, ridden around the alps etc and rode back through Germany and France.

I think it is a tad expensive even taking into account the saving on Hotels, Tyres, Fuel etc, but I can't fault it really. You do arrive fresh and ready to do the interesting bits straight off.

We're using it again this year and going deeper into Italy, but cheating a bit this time and using the train to return.

Hope you enjoy it anyway.

£150 for your bike, £300 for a couchette and you pay for a meal on top of that - to travel 800 miles. Hmmm… That'll be 3 tankfuls on my GSA, so just over a £100, doing the trip in two days down the more scenic N roads, so one overnight stop at a Logis hotel at £100 half board for a double room. That leaves £250 for wear/tear and an overnight crossing to save time. Seems a tad steep to me, but not so bad if you compare it with trying to dash down the autoroutes and paying the tolls if you only have a limited time available. Me, i'd rather take my time, knowing i have enough money to break the trip up and take 2 nights on the way down. Remember, it's about the whole journey and not how you get there. You'll miss out on experiencing parts of the countries the train whizzes through. :thumb2

Tend to agree with MMM but I can see the attraction for some.

There is a guy started a business - FLY-RIDE-FLY (seen him at the NEC & Edinburgh), he ships bikes overland to Nice / Malaga every week and you fly in and collect your bike, Drop off again and fly home.
At the costings when I looked at his site, it would be better suited to groups, too expensive from Glasgow to Nice for me....

It can be expensive, but if you travel with 2 bikes it can be cheaper, and there are special offers. If you can only have a week away from home or work and want to play in the mountains, it is possibly good value.

The new route this year is Dusseldorf to Munich. You travel in the daytime on a normal train and your bike goes by road. About 100 euro each way. The only reason I would do that (as it is a pretty short distance) is to enjoy the train or to give Mrs Monty a break from it for a day.

Each to their own though. :)

Matt

Tend to agree with MMM but I can see the attraction for some.

There is a guy started a business - FLY-RIDE-FLY (seen him at the NEC & Edinburgh), he ships bikes overland to Nice / Malaga every week and you fly in and collect your bike, Drop off again and fly home.
At the costings when I looked at his site, it would be better suited to groups, too expensive from Glasgow to Nice for me....

Is this the firm?? http://www.flybikefly.com/

I'm doing it for the first time this year, heading down to Alessandria on the GSA with my son as pillion then getting the motorail back, hop on the Rotterdam ferry back to Hull and then home in time for tea and medals. I'm hoping it works for me as I'm a bit limited on time so am trying to push south as far as I can in the time I have and then just hop on the train back. I found railsavers a bit frustrating to deal with to be honest, and found it best just to phone them and speak to someone.

I wonder where you got that idea from???????????????

Myself and three others are using the slaaptrein to head back from Italy after a ten day trip around Germany, France and Italy. We are using the Kopper to Hertenbosch service. Cost including room was 215 pounds in total.

Myself and three others are using the slaaptrein to head back from Italy after a ten day trip around Germany, France and Italy. We are using the Kopper to Hertenbosch service. Cost including room was 215 pounds in total.

is that the price for each person, i've just calculated it for me and my bindt and it almost came to £500, at that price all i'd save is time

Back
Top Bottom