Streetbob Relay problem

fatbaldbob

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My son has his own bike (Sertao) but has never ridden a Harley, he came round my place tonight and we were talking bike bollocks and I was extolling the virtues of the HD. Long story short I told him to take the HD for a while as he has never ridden one (Streetbob 2006 FXDBI), so I give him a brief on the foibles of the HD and sent him on his way. So ten minutes later I gets a call from him, "bikes died and won't start", so I jumps in the van and drives over to where he is and has a look over it. No whineing from the fuel pump when you switch the ignition on, bike turns over but won't start, so I swapped the relays over (system for starter) now the ignition cycle worked but nothing happened when the starter was pushed, so bashed the relay with a spanner whilst pushing the starter and it fired up. So problem confirmed as the system relay.

Looking at relays on the net and they seem quite pricey for HD items, so my question to the collective is, can I just get a matching one from a motor factor? Or is there anything specific to a bike one that would rule this out. Or any ideas where I can get one from without paying HD prices?

As for my lad, we got back stuck the HD in the garage and he asked if he could take the 1200 GSA out (twin cam) instead. Off he went again didn't break down, said it was a pleasure to ride and Harley's are shite:rolleyes:

No expert but I replaced the starter relay on my Triumph T595 with the car varient from a motor factors with no Ill effect... The clever bit is finding out which one.... Seem to remember the Triumph one was £30 and the Motor Factor one £5.. Bandits....

Off to see what we can find out...

It's the ditch pump vibrations that kill them, along with the regulator rectifiers !!

Sent using witchcraft

Went for a run to Applecross at the weekend on the HD with another mate on a Fatbob, guess what? He broke down, system relay went, but as luck would have it, I had the spare with me which I bought last week tucked away in my comprehensive tool kit I am forced to carry whilst on the HD! Yet another two on order, this time at his expense.

Back
Top Bottom