Summer trip, bit of input required please......

Johno23

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Planning this years 2 week trip, mrs J on the back and my son is coming with us this year on his tractor 1150:blast
Any way, Planning on riding and camping through the Ardenne, through Luxembourg, into Germany,then down into the Austrian Alps.Planning to stay a couple of nights there, at The grey one's hotel,:jager(Seen it on here and it looks good:thumb). We are then going onto northern Croatia, to camp there for a few nights. We will then go into Italy for a couple of days/nights, then into France as we make our way back home.:thumby:
I know France very well, so no problems there,the ardenne I don't know, but like the sound of.Equally don't know Germany either. I don't want to do huge chunks of motorway getting to Austria, but don't mind diviing onto one to make up some time if we need to. I estimated 3 full days to get down to the hotel in Austria.Is this reasonable or would I need a 4th day.( Grey One, perhaps you could advise me here). Remember Mrs on the back, and likes to stop around 4.00pm-ish.:blast

Any advice regarding Germany,Slovenia N.Croatia would also be very useful,places to visit (or to avoid!) , campsites, routes etc.
Also Northern Italy east to west, any advice regarding Italy would also be much appreciated.

Cheers in advance.:thumb2

:beerjug:

Johnno, sounds like an awesome trip mate. Go to the Moselle Valley in Germany as it is lovely; North Italy I would stay somewhere near the lakes or there is a campsite by Verona which is a must visit.

Johno,
A good recommendation for Slovenia is Camping Vili
www.camp-vili.si

On the bank of the Soca river. only a small campsite with 25 pitches, but excellent host, and if you like fresh fish for dinner, stick a line in the river. about 10k from Kobarid

Have an excellent trip
Neil

Planning this years 2 week trip, mrs J on the back and my son is coming with us this year on his tractor 1150:blast
Any way, Planning on riding and camping through the Ardenne, through Luxembourg, into Germany,then down into the Austrian Alps.Planning to stay a couple of nights there, at The grey one's hotel,:jager(Seen it on here and it looks good:thumb). We are then going onto northern Croatia, to camp there for a few nights. We will then go into Italy for a couple of days/nights, then into France as we make our way back home.:thumby:
I know France very well, so no problems there,the ardenne I don't know, but like the sound of.Equally don't know Germany either. I don't want to do huge chunks of motorway getting to Austria, but don't mind diviing onto one to make up some time if we need to. I estimated 3 full days to get down to the hotel in Austria.Is this reasonable or would I need a 4th day.( Grey One, perhaps you could advise me here). Remember Mrs on the back, and likes to stop around 4.00pm-ish.:blast

Any advice regarding Germany,Slovenia N.Croatia would also be very useful,places to visit (or to avoid!) , campsites, routes etc.
Also Northern Italy east to west, any advice regarding Italy would also be much appreciated.

Cheers in advance.:thumb2

:beerjug:

It makes little difference which port you use, it's between 750 and 800 miles to us. We have had everything from done in one hit to a six day bimble to get here. Most do it with one or two overnight stops. Stopping at 4pm is not so bad if you can make an early start. In fact before we moved here that is just what the boss and I did, we would get off as soon as possible and aim to arrive by late afternoon. That way you at least get some chance to see the town you are staying in as well a eating.

Personally I would avoid staying in cities or large towns-you tend to arrive/leave in rush hour, you don't have time to see much and the prices are higher. With a few notable exceptions cities are becoming very similar wherever you are. Smaller towns are less busy and you can, having arrived a 4pm, have a look around, find a suitable eating house and the whole thing will feel more authentic for whatever region you are in.

Several people who took more than two overnights to get here have told me they would do it in less next time-that way they get more time here.

Generally there is not a lot to see on leaving the ports so use the motorways for that bit at least. A couple of hours will see you in more interesting territory and you will have some serious miles under your belt. Do the same on the next day and you might be surprised how much ground you have covered.

One thing I have learnt is that we all see thing differently and there is no right way only one that is right for you. You, and your Mrs, are the only ones who can decide how many mile to put into a day.

I just hope you can keep up with the 1150!

John

We normally stay in La Roche de Ardennes overnight, then down to Pension Williams in the Black Forest for a couple of nights. Then a long day to see Charley in the Hotel Wiessespitze in Kaunertal, Austria, then a blast through the Alps to Malta to partake in a cold beer with The Grey One at the Gasthof Hochalmspitze.. Wonderful roads with wonderful views and great hosts..Hard to beat.

First impression of that route plan is it's an awful lot to pack into a two week trip, especially with your 'couple of days' sprinkled liberally around.

It's feasible, but won't do any of the areas (particularly Croatia) any justice........you'll cover a lot of ground but miss seeing most of it :nenau

La Roche de Ardennes is a wonderful little town. The night we stayed there was a candle lit procession through the town and a lazer light show beamed onto the castle wall up on the hillside. The hotel we stopped in was above the undertakers so we got a peaceful nights sleep:D.

Thanks guys, La Roche de Ardennes is definately on the list now.:thumb. We will take the 3 full days to get down to John's hotel in the Austrian Alps. Fanum, I know what you mean, but we do enjoy travelling to new places every day, but will spend a few days in Croatia and a couple in Austria. We understand we will miss a lot but what we miss there we will gain on our travels, or thats what we normally find.We do do holidays where we chill more at one place, but this isn't that type.I love to ride and wonder what the hell we're going to find that night!:friday that's the exciting bit for us:blast.

Don't be afraid to add anything else you remember, it all helps towards the planning. Thanks again! :thumb2

Doing a very similar trip in May.Night one booked in Hotel Petry,Vainden Luxembourg.
Nights 2/3 nothing boooked.Then 3 nights booked at the Grey Ones hotel
Pension Williams then on to Hotel Wiesspitze sounds good, but which route?
Google map shows via the south side of Lake Konstanz,is that going to be a slow route like the north side of the lake? low speed limits and congested.

From the Ardennes, keep going South on the French/German border and ride the Route des Cretes through Les Vosgues before hangering a left through the Black Forrest. No need for German Autobahns. Luxembourg has some surprisingly nice roads too (and cheap fuel).
Simonshof is a great little hotel and convenient for GrossGlockner.
You could also take in lovely Slovenia rather than Croatia if stuck for time.

Also Villach to Graz has Worthersee on the way - absolutely lovely area.

Hotel booked for Sunday 6th July :beerjug:
Catching early train over on the Friday, leaving 3 full days to get down there.Looking to camp at La Roche de Ardennes first night, still planning night two.
Probably approx half way between La Roche de Ardennes and John's hotel. :thumb

Hotel booked for Sunday 6th July :beerjug:
Catching early train over on the Friday, leaving 3 full days to get down there.Looking to camp at La Roche de Ardennes first night, still planning night two.
Probably approx half way between La Roche de Ardennes and John's hotel. :thumb

Thanks for the booking, Sunday 6th is the day of the annual bike meeting on the dam, shame you can't get there for Saturday night. We usually go up there with everyone-last year we took 27 bikes-they had 1200 in total.

John

doing something similar in June - 1st night will be in Haguenau at Hotel Les Pins which has been recommended as having a superb restaurant. Cross the Rhine intothe Blck Forest and head to Kempten, staying in Hotel Peterhof (picked fromm booking.com listings) and then a route taking in part of the Deutsche Alpenstrasse before heading south to John's hotel in Maltatal.

Has anyone got a recommendation for a hotel in the Titisee/Neustadt area please.
Rough plan is Vainden to Titisee for over night stop then on to Immenstadt for overnight stop,then on to Malta for 3 nights booked.
Any tips welcome.
thanks.

+1 for Bladerunner's route.

Personally I don't like driving across Italy - you have to keep you're wits about you on motor-ways as the car drivers will literally squash you on the barriers to pass and the smaller roads are slow with a lot of traffic through the towns. The tourist traffic around the lakes can be grueling.
I would head quickly back up to the Alps/Dolomites and come back that way - avoiding Switzerland.

For the last few years we have taken a similar tack as you - travelling for 3 days (breaking camp early and stopping at 5.30) then stopping for 2/3 days then on again etc.. we think it is a nice compromise between a motorcycle and camping holiday.

Enjoy

Has anyone got a recommendation for a hotel in the Titisee/Neustadt area please.
Rough plan is Vainden to Titisee for over night stop then on to Immenstadt for overnight stop,then on to Malta for 3 nights booked.
Any tips welcome.
thanks.

Stayed here twice great food and a warm welcome http://www.sonnenhof-sonnhalde.de/

Dave

Off tomorrow evening up to folkstone for an early Friday train across:JB. Route down to John's hotel is done.
A couple of hours on motorway to make some headway then first night camping in Luxembourg, have a site in mind but the plan is to stay pretty flexible.
Day two planning on getting down to Constance, will need a couple of motoway hours again but also riding what look like some great roads.
Day three, again a mixture of roads to get us down to Malta.
We then have three nights with John & Ros. We will spend the days riding around the Alps I suspect:thumb
After that we are probably going down into Slovenia for a night or two, we don't have anything else booked or planned as such, so will decide at the time dependant on weather etc. May go into Croatia or across to the Italian Lakes.Who knows? Really looking forward to it now, I will take loads of pics and do a ride report when we return, if anyones interested:blast

John & Ros, see you for a beer on Sunday eve:beerjug:

Off tomorrow evening up to folkstone for an early Friday train across:JB. Route down to John's hotel is done.
A couple of hours on motorway to make some headway then first night camping in Luxembourg, have a site in mind but the plan is to stay pretty flexible.
Day two planning on getting down to Constance, will need a couple of motoway hours again but also riding what look like some great roads.
Day three, again a mixture of roads to get us down to Malta.
We then have three nights with John & Ros. We will spend the days riding around the Alps I suspect:thumb
After that we are probably going down into Slovenia for a night or two, we don't have anything else booked or planned as such, so will decide at the time dependant on weather etc. May go into Croatia or across to the Italian Lakes.Who knows? Really looking forward to it now, I will take loads of pics and do a ride report when we return, if anyones interested:blast

John & Ros, see you for a beer on Sunday eve:beerjug:

A cold beer, on the house, will be waiting for you as it is for any biker coming here.
Don't forget we are close to the Slovenian border so a lot of the interesting roads in Slovenia (Vrisc, Mangart etc) can be done easily from here. I took group out yesterday into Slovenia and Italy, less than 160 miles all in

Enjoy the journey see you on Sunday

John

John

A cold beer, on the house, will be waiting for you as it is for any biker coming here.
Don't forget we are close to the Slovenian border so a lot of the interesting roads in Slovenia (Vrisc, Mangart etc) can be done easily from here. I took group out yesterday into Slovenia and Italy, less than 160 miles all in

Enjoy the journey see you on Sunday

John

John

He's not wrong....did that circuit from Malta yesterday....stunning. Gross glockner and circuit today.....more stunning..BBQ and band in front of Hochalmspitze finite...even more stunning....several days to go...running out of stunning...

Back
Top Bottom