German Burial Grounds.

Geriatric Germ

Reaction score
With the recent 'War Crimes' I got to remembering when I was stuck in Lubeck, north east germany, for a long weekend. As iI was truck driving, on my days off out there I became a Sad Tourist
And spent time wandering around cemetaries most of which are well tended and cared for.
This one in Lubeck was in two obvious sections, the first shown here.

Attachments

• lubeck german.jpg
    lubeck german.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 596
And yet another shot

It made me ponder, why, for a while, but of course, the extermination of a the whole race of German Jews means no living relatives to tend the graves. But in this so called PC Europe I thought that even the Square Heads would have had the Humility to at least keep the jewish section tidy and tended.

Attachments

• lubeck jew.jpg
    lubeck jew.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 589
If you ever go to Crete there is a Graveyard for the British killed in WW2 which is kept trully immaculate and close by is a Graveyard for the German soldiers that looks like a slum in comparison...all very sad really as most soldiers never wanted to be there irrelivant of which side they were on.

AndyT

There is a large cemetery in Luxembourg/Belgium border in which there are thousands of graves of soldiers killed during th Ardennes offensive in 1944.

One one side of the small valley are the American graves, on the other the Germans graves.

ALL are in immaculate condition. A few years ago some of the graves of Jewish soldiers were desecrated and the reactions of all but a handful of the locals was one of horror and disgust. They paid for repair and restoration.

What is truly horrifying is when you look at the headstones and see the age of most of the soldiers from either side.

Most seem to be teenagers.

I do think that some of the America-haters, particularly from the liberal-Left should sometimes be taken to see these places. so that they can see that so many young Americans died to enable them to be free to express their odious views. After all, the American had nothing much to gain from taking on Nazi Germany, there battle was against the Japanese.

Re: And yet another shot

rcc54 said:
It made me ponder, why, for a while, but of course, the extermination of a the whole race of German Jews means no living relatives to tend the graves. But in this so called PC Europe I thought that even the Square Heads would have had the Humility to at least keep the jewish section tidy and tended.

Er..."Square Heads"?...That's a bit antagonistic is it not?...

You fkn tosser...

:tosser

I'm with Droopy Dick on this one. A few years ago, I visited both American and German war cemetries just outside Luxembourg and was staggered at the size of the places, amounts of graves and the ages of the victims buried there. Most seemed to be teenagers and the expererience was both sobering and enlightening.

Re: Re: And yet another shot

Ronno said:
Er..."Square Heads"?...That's a bit antagonistic is it not?...

You fkn tosser...

Down Toby :rolleyes: Due to shape of the German Metal Helmets, the Blighty Boys assumed that their heads were the same contours. ;) Get a grip man :beerjug:

Droopy Dick said:
There is a large cemetery in Luxembourg/Belgium border in which there are thousands of graves of soldiers killed during th Ardennes offensive in 1944.

I do think that some of the America-haters, particularly from the liberal-Left should sometimes be taken to see these places. so that they can see that so many young Americans died to enable them to be free to express their odious views.

After all, the American had nothing much to gain from taking on Nazi Germany, there battle was against the Japanese.

If the Americans had not joined us against the Germans. One, they would not have made the enormous financial gains from, what was the British Empire. Two, the Nazi's would having gained the assets for their war machine, would then have presented too great a threat to Uncle Sam.
The good old US of A was the real winner of both World Wars, the British lost both, in real terms. How the Germans and the Japs must smile if any foolish Brit crows about winning the war.

Has anyone visited the British and commonwealth forces memorial at the Menin Gate in Ypres, Belgium? It's well worth a detour, especially if you attend the ceremony that is performed each evening at 8pm. A sad, moving experience, but enlightening as well.

Ronno said:
.. A few years ago, I visited both American and German war cemetries just outside Luxembourg and was staggered at the size of the places, amounts of graves and the ages of the victims buried there.
Don't forget that the numbers of graves you see, are only a fraction of the people killed, as the majority of bodies were flown back to the UK, or US etc for burial - some bodies of course were never even found. I forget the exact percentage, but at the massive Omaha cemetary in Normandy I think the numbers buried there represent just 25% of the actual casualties suffered about the time of the the D-Day landings. :(

Re: Re: Re: And yet another shot

rcc54 said:
Down Toby :rolleyes: Due to shape of the German Metal Helmets, the Blighty Boys assumed that their heads were the same contours. ;) Get a grip man :beerjug:

:beerjug:

The good old US of A was the real winner of both World Wars, the British lost both, in real terms. How the Germans and the Japs must smile if any foolish Brit crows about winning the war. [/B]

Lost both in real terms ????

Economic perhaps, but last I heard the Germans didn't mount a successful invasion of this country in 1940.

A bit of a result.

Droopy Dick said:

One one side of the small valley are the American graves, on the other the Germans graves.

ALL are in immaculate condition. A few years ago some of the graves of Jewish soldiers were desecrated and the reactions of all but a handful of the locals was one of horror and disgust. They paid for repair and restoration.

What is truly horrifying is when you look at the headstones and see the age of most of the soldiers from either side.

Most seem to be teenagers.

Belgium actually has a strong Neo Nazi sympathatic faction . It may well be "kids" but i should think there was bit more organisation to it than that

Not all German War Grave sites are slums. I visited one in France last August, more of an Ossuary actually. It held the bones of Germans from all over northern France & the Channel Islands.

7150575-M.jpg

7150567-M.jpg

Very moving place as all War Grave sites are

7150570-M.jpg

Ones without names are the saddest

7150572-M.jpg

I then rode to the US Cemetary at St James:

7150582-M.jpg

7150591-M.jpg

7150589-M.jpg

Geoff Johnson said:
If the Americans had not joined us against the Germans. One, they would not have made the enormous financial gains from, what was the British Empire. Two, the Nazi's would having gained the assets for their war machine, would then have presented too great a threat to Uncle Sam.
The good old US of A was the real winner of both World Wars, the British lost both, in real terms. How the Germans and the Japs must smile if any foolish Brit crows about winning the war.

We often don't give the US credit for sometimes doing the right thing.

We would have been stuck without there help in WW2

They also gave to us after the war The Marshall Plan

They sometimes do the right thing… but not too often nowadays

That, too, was part of the new world facing the young Harvard graduates as Secretary of State George C. Marshall addressed them, proposing a European Recovery Program that would come to bear his name. From 1948 to 1952, it extended nearly $17 billion (in 1947 dollars) in economic aid.

"It worked. And it worked quickly. By 1952, the Marshall Plan had laid the foundation for the spectacular economic recovery that would follow. Democratic roots took hold again in Western Europe, which today has formed a European Union whose market size is larger than the United States, with a fledgling currency that one day may rival the dollar in strength, and at its center, Germany -- the defeated enemy as the economic power of Europe"

Geoff Johnson said:

If we had not had there help we would have lost. They provided much needed food,shipping,essential raw goods, military hardwear and by no means least, millions of men to help us in our struggle and time of need as well as helping rebuild not only us but Europe. Would you like to suggest how we all would have done it otherwise?

Didn't Churchill admit to having the best nights sleep he had had in months or years, the day that America joined the War? Probably tells us a lot about the way the war was going at the time. :(

Incidentally, I'm sure this is right , but the Treaty Of Versailles prevented German war graves being marked with a white cross; which is why German war cemetaries do not look as impressive as the Allied war graves in the photos above.

Back
Top Bottom