Start Classic racing

fastfreddie999

Reaction score
Hi all

I have 2010 Adventure and a few other bikes lurking about, but all modern. Thinking about maybe having a go at classic racing. Does anyone know if this is this something that can be done on a sensible budget (I know that is subjective!!); and if so, any suggestions on what bikes are good to test the water with?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Hi all

I have 2010 Adventure and a few other bikes lurking about, but all modern. Thinking about maybe having a go at classic racing. Does anyone know if this is this something that can be done on a sensible budget (I know that is subjective!!); and if so, any suggestions on what bikes are good to test the water with?

Many moons ago I did a couple of seasons racing after which I became a scrutineer for a number of clubs, including the classic and vintage racing clubs.

From my experience as a scrutineer for these and other clubs, my advice is that you actually get down to a few meetings, get in the paddock and chat to the guys racing. You'll get a good feel for what's being raced, the issues, the costs etc and quite often these folks advertise their bikes and kit at the race meetings.

Just do that for a handful of meetings and you will have pretty good idea!

Good luck, if you end buying a race bike and doing some racing, I'm not jealous at all, not in the slightest, not one little bit, at all! :drool

As with all great ideas, to get down there and have a look is so simple I am embarrassed not to have done it yet! I blame the internet! Thanks for the suggestion.:beerjug:

I do the Classic Scrambling and it's great fun very laid back.
But it's like anything else it was started as a cheap way for people to get the old bikes out of the shed and go for a blast round a track on a Sunday afternoon. Then it gets popular price off bikes goes up then people start spending fortunes on new replicas so they can go faster than the next man.
However you can still make it as cheap or expensive as you want. I have a 72 CZ which cost me £1800 6 years ago,they are going for £3000 now. Or you can have a hand built BSA replica for about £12000 depends how deep your pockets are. Entry's are about £30.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

............ Thinking about maybe having a go at classic racing. Does anyone know if this is this something that can be done on a sensible budget (I know that is subjective!!); and if so, any suggestions on what bikes are good to test the water with?

Before you get onto a track you will need to join a club, then you have to attend a Competitor Training Course (theory and practical) and depending on your age an eyesight test and a medical report. Then you can apply for your Novice licence.

You then need one-piece leathers, boots, gloves, an identity disc and an ACU-stickered helmet. All of which must be in good order and will be inspected before every meeting.

Probably the best bike to start on would be a Honda CB 350 K4, because it's a Honda! You might be able to get one from around £3000 but it won't be a winner.

Entry fees start from £90 for 2 races plus another £20 or so to hire a transponder or you can buy your own for £330. Fuel cost is negligible but you need to get to the meetings and the cost of that obviously depends on how far you're travelling. Not all clubs have classes for classics so you may have to travel some distance. You'll also need a van or a trailer. You'll be looking at £200-250 per days racing excluding any costs of repairing/maintaining your bike. You'll probably also fall off. :D

So, you have to spend a fair amount of money and put in quite a bit of work before you even get out on track, only you can decide if that's a 'sensible budget'. Go and have look and see what you think. :thumb

Really good input and reality check. Probably also need to factor in a trailer/van - the list is blooming endless. Still not lost the enthusiasm, but much more realistic now....

Me too.....

I was thinking about treating myself to a second bike this year and had a cafe racer project in mind but this thread has got me thinking that a classic racer might be the order of the day! :bounce1

i race with the cmrc on a yamaha tz 350 their is no cheap racing :rob but the fz600 yamaha class is as easy a way to start as you will get,the best thing about the crmc club rules is their are no wets or Tyre warmers allowed so you have a saving their:aidan my next outing will be at Anglsea in Wales so if you fancy a chat drop by and spend the day with us and find out whats what:aidan

i race with the cmrc on a yamaha tz 350 their is no cheap racing :rob but the fz600 yamaha class is as easy a way to start as you will get,the best thing about the crmc club rules is their are no wets or Tyre warmers allowed so you have a saving their:aidan my next outing will be at Anglsea in Wales so if you fancy a chat drop by and spend the day with us and find out whats what:aidan

That's grand of you!, I might take you up on that one.... I did a couple of seasons production racing at the start of the 1980's and I gave that up at the time because of the cost.... I was a mere engineering apprentice at the time and doing it on a limited budget so couldn't compete with the sponsored bikes!

When are you racing in Wales sir?

We will be running the 350 tz i will let you know more details nearer the time the hospitality suite is a little limited so you will need to bring your own sarnies:aidan

Back
Top Bottom