Help with current route

Nutty

Reaction score
For the last two days, the road I'm currently riding has gone so dark on the screen, that I can't actually see it, or the next turning that I'm meant to take. Does anyone know how I can make the current road I'm riding brighter, as it's so dim that I'm missing turnings, and having to do a lot of uturns?

When you say, it 'went dark', what do you mean exactly, Nutty?

Do you mean:

(1) The basic contrast of the screen went dark, meaning that the colours did not stand out easily, possibly caused by travelling north with bright sun shining on the device's screen from behind?

(2) That the individual map squares / panes went very dark grey, possibly leaving you with just the bike's position cursor swimming along against a very dark grey background?

When the individual panes went dark grey, did they mosaic along very distinct lines, leaving you with some panes visible and some greyed out, the whole lot eventually greying out completely?

If (1) go to page 11 of owner's manual, Display Settings.

Not got owner's manual to hand? Worry not.

Select Settings > Display > Colour Mode or Brightness. You can also fiddle about with other settings, like automatic timeout.

If (2) report back here.

PS Irrespective, missing turnings and doing U-turns is all part of the bikermate experience. Cheer up, embrace it. Your mates following might think it tedious and you a nob but feck 'em... Or get them to lead, so you can sit at the back on your awesome steed, sucking your teeth and shaking your head in disappointment.

:D. :beerjug:

When you say, it 'went dark', what do you mean exactly, Nutty?

Do you mean:

(1) The basic contrast of the screen went dark, meaning that the colours did not stand out easily, possibly caused by travelling north with bright sun shining on the device's screen from behind?

(2) That the individual map squares / panes went very dark grey, possibly leaving you with just the bike's position cursor swimming along against a very dark grey background?

When the individual panes went dark grey, did they mosaic along very distinct lines, leaving you with some panes visible and some greyed out, the whole lot eventually greying out completely?

If (1) go to page 11 of owner's manual, Display Settings.

Not got owner's manual to hand? Worry not.

Select Settings > Display > Colour Mode or Brightness. You can also fiddle about with other settings, like automatic timeout.

If (2) report back here.

PS Irrespective, missing turnings and doing U-turns is all part of the bikermate experience. Cheer up, embrace it. Your mates following might think it tedious and you a nob but feck 'em... Or get them to lead, so you can sit at the back on your awesome steed, sucking your teeth and shaking your head in disappointment.

:D. :beerjug:

The whole display goes, dark but it's not the sun, as it's been doing it I the tunnels as well, then when you come out of the tunnels, it's impossible to see which junction to take. I'll try your solution.:thumb

Map and/or torch

:pullface:::D

Restore factory settings usually work.

I thought of that, but will it delete all my settings/ maps/ routes/ travel logs & history

I thought it would be option 2...

See this thread...

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...s-whilst-riding-a-route&p=3793907#post3793907

Could you do me a favour...

(A) Look at the track lines. I think that when the device struggles to load its map tiles, it is also struggling to locate its satellites. If I am right you should see the track line go very straight, coinciding with the tiles not loading. That would match with the problem you are encountering in the tunnels.

I only came across the problem in the very hilly Morvan region, with lots of trees and folds in the land. This reinforces my theory that it's possibly a lack of reliable satellite signal that is causing the device to overload or be unable to load its tiles fast enough... Simply as it does not know where it is.

(B) Is anyone else in your merry band running a Nav V? Are they encountering the same problem at the same time as you?

(C) Is anyone running a different device? How is theirs responding?

Thank you.

Richard

I thought it would be option 2...

See this thread...

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...s-whilst-riding-a-route&p=3793907#post3793907

Could you do me a favour...

(A) Look at the track lines. I think that when the device struggles to load its map tiles, it is also struggling to locate its satellites. If I am right you should see the track line go very straight, coinciding with the tiles not loading. That would match with the problem you are encountering in the tunnels.

I only came across the problem in the very hilly Morvan region, with lots of trees and folds in the land. This reinforces my theory that it's possibly a lack of reliable satellite signal that is causing the device to overload or be unable to load its tiles fast enough... Simply as it does not know where it is.

(B) Is anyone else in your merry band running a Nav V? Are they encountering the same problem at the same time as you?

(C) Is anyone running a different device? How is theirs responding?

Thank you.

Richard

It is option 2. There's only two of us, and Mark doesn't have sat nav, so we are reliant on mine. It's almost as if the nav is trying to predict the weather, and shade the display accordingly, but I can't see any settings for that.

Restoring factory settings WILL erase your data, with no guarantee that it will fix the issue if it is relating to positional tracking problems.

You can though save your routes and favourites to a suitable SD card, before you restore. If anyone in your party also has a Nav V you could also send them your favourites by Bluetooth and / or reimport the routes back from them. It really is very quick by Bluetooth device to device, I did it for someone on the last Wander.

Redoing your Settings will not take long.

Me? I am not convinced it will fix the issue. Once I cleared the Morvan, the problem vanished. Had I done a re-set in the Morvan, I might have assumed (wrongly) that it was the re-set that had fixed the problem.

Edit.... I see you are alone with the GPS device.... SD card to back up. Dump your (silly) music and use the space usefully..... You did bring the little screwdriver to open the back cover, didn't you? Please say, yes. No? Never mind, drop into any hardware store or opticians and buy one.

It is nothing to do with predicting the weather, I assure you.

If the device is proving so unreliable, bin it.

Take out your maps (or go to buy some) and plot your routes the old fashioned way. You are in the Alps, where the road system is comparatively simple, big mountains blocking most of the way. You'll be fine, I promise. Even if Garmin launch a software fix tomorrow, you have no way of installing it anyway.

Have fun.... Don't worry.... It's an adventure, not quite into the unknown.... And your steed is awesome..... what more do you need?

One tip....

Before the map tiles crash, greying out the screen, in the top left corner you'll see the next directional instruction and along the top, the next road to be taken. If you turn off the damned voice prompts and get used to looking at the screen, you'll be able to see what they are and when they will be arriving. Take a simple note that in say one mile or whatever you'll be doing XYZ. It will get you out of a fix, if only for that moment. Trust me, it works.

Thanks Richard.:thumb I'll bear with it! as it's only intermittent, and I have maps as a back up. Today was not a good day on the Grossglockner for my friend, as the freezing fog gave visibility of around 5 feet, and although I could see where the road went, with the Nav, he couldn't, and binned his bike.:mad: We've never seen weather like it.:eek:

Thanks Richard.:thumb I'll bear with it! as it's only intermittent, and I have maps as a back up. Today was not a good day on the Grossglockner for my friend, as the freezing fog gave visibility of around 5 feet, and although I could see where the road went, with the Nav, he couldn't, and binned his bike.:mad: We've never seen weather like it.:eek:

Ooops

Ride safe and use maps, in conjunction with a temperamental SatNav

Works for me and gives plenty of back up options

(I did mention it, in Post 3:D)

My God ...

I have just had a moment of brilliance :bow

If it's happening in the tunnels and bad visibility like fog, I think that the satnav is clever and is linked to the onboard computer (notice how the dash clock auto changes when you go abroad if the sat nav is connected ..??) and the bike senses darkness so puts the lights on. This makes the satnav think it;s night time, so it reverts to night settings ... ('till yer out the tunnel or the light improves ..).

Check to see if it happens when your light sensor for your headlights kicks in ....

Yep ..... I am a fucking genius ..... :clap :bounce1

We'll see Mellors .... We'll see .....

(I hope you're good at grovelling apologies ...... :D)

Giles, you are indeed a genius of a policeman *

However, there is a distinct difference between a GPS device switching to 'Night view' when the automatic lights come on in say a tunnel as it does in the awesome Limehouse Link (a feature of the device you can switch on and off) and vanishing map tiles. Though if Nutty is suffering from no more than 'Night view' on his Nav V and losing his way as a consequence, then indeed he needs arresting and charged with crimes against motorcycling.

* Don't be too smug, they don't set the bar very high. :D :beerjug:

Ooops

Ride safe and use maps, in conjunction with a temperamental SatNav

Works for me and gives plenty of back up options

(I did mention it, in Post 3:D)

Yep, I've been using a map in a map pocket on the tank for the interesting roads, and the Nav for the longer distance stuff.

My God ...

I have just had a moment of brilliance :bow

If it's happening in the tunnels and bad visibility like fog, I think that the satnav is clever and is linked to the onboard computer (notice how the dash clock auto changes when you go abroad if the sat nav is connected ..??) and the bike senses darkness so puts the lights on. This makes the satnav think it;s night time, so it reverts to night settings ... ('till yer out the tunnel or the light improves ..).

Check to see if it happens when your light sensor for your headlights kicks in ....

Yep ..... I am a fucking genius ..... :clap :bounce1

I did think they might be linked, and tried switching between night/ day colours, but that hasn't sorted it.:blast

The current road still blends in to the background (sometimes). When you're looking at the screen, you can sometimes see shaded areas of what appear to be clouds approaching, then the current road goes dark, which makes me think it's trying to predict the weather for the road I'm riding.:nenau It's very odd.

Good man Nutty

All sounds very strange

My 2610 doesn't do that :)

It's steam powered though

Thanks for the pic, bike looks ace against all that snow

Good man Nutty

All sounds very strange

My 2610 doesn't do that :)

It's steam powered though

Thanks for the pic, bike looks ace against all that snow

d61c519134f317529ebc60e12ee48d20_zps9c456c4d.jpg

:beerjug: