Losing map tiles whilst riding a route

Wapping

Reaction score
Twice, on our excursion to the rural Morvan of France, my Navigator V was unable to build its map tiles properly whilst running a route and on the move.

Each map on the screen is built up of a series of tiles, these usually load in a seamless fashion. Twice, sections of the screen went dark grey, as if the device was struggling to perform several functions at once. Each time the bike's positional cursor was visible against the dark grey background but that was it.

The map tiles' edges were each clearly visible, standing out as distinct clear lines. Zooming the map in or out made no difference. Once the problem sorted itself out, all on its own, as if it sort of took a breather and then got on with the job. The second time, I had to stop the route, then restart it, the map tiles loading perfectly.

I have a vague impression that the device might have been struggling to find its satellites, then becoming overloaded with too many things to do, meaning that it was unable to build its map display fast enough.

The map tiles are certainly all there, so I am not missing some. Over 1000 miles, the device operated otherwise perfectly well, which does somehow maybe point to some sort of 'overload' glitch?

The device is running the latest mapsets and its software is fully up to date.

I will report the problem to Garmin. In the meantime, I can't find anything similar being reported on the usual Garmin forums. Anyone else seen anything happening?

Richard

I've often had problems with missing tiles, but I think it was generally because they didn't get downloaded due to the crappy interface on Garmin Mapinstaller.

The map tiles are certainly there, as the device will re-set itself to display them properly or I can stop the route, restart, when the map will again display itself perfectly.

From a bit of digging around I have found that there was a very early software update that fixed what might be a similar problem.

Ver. 2.50 - 10/25/2013

Fixed issue that could prevent the map from panning or following the vehicle position.

Fixed issues that could cause large portions of the map to be blank or prevent the route line from appearing.

I carried out that update at the time. I wonder if it either didn't quite fix the glitch or I am looking at something else?

Wapping try a full reset now it's all up to date. I used to get this on my 550 and older nav 3.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Any joy wapping? On the zumoforums there was a set procedure people came to after doing firmware or map updates.
One suggestion was to full reset the device when you do any of the above and it seemed to solve a lot of people's problems.

Hope you fix this, I'm looking get a nav v soon.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

I have't tried it yet.

I though satisfied myself that the glitch only occures when the device does not have enough satellite imagery to fix its position.

If you factor in:

A vehicle doing maybe 50 MPH or faster

Very intricate maps to build

A complicated set of small roads, as we were riding in the Morvan

A device unable to fix a position that is anyway moving at 73 feet per second or faster

Something may have to give.

The odd thing is that the Nav V should be better (faster) at fixing satellites and presenting (building) maps than its predecessors.

I have also found that if the device gets low on power, it might struggle to present its maps properly. Just as something to do, I ran the device on its battery only, whilst my daughter ferried me to Straford upon Avon and back in her little Ka. As the battery got very low, the bike cursor, instead of moving smoothly jumped in hops along the road and, whist the roads scrolled properly, the bike was always presented 'nose up', not tracking the road accurately.

I had always thought that low power would still run all the device's functions fully right up to the moment the battery failed, the device switching off when the battery exhausted. It appears that it now slows instead.... A concept I am struggling to believe.... But hey, ho.

Wapping, reading your last post brought back a memory from using my original 660. It had a dicky connection from the aerial which meant it could not set a position. In effect, it was spending all its computing power struggling to get a position so had no spare brain capacity to set up the screen.( IE it was fecked :D ). Sounds like you are suffering from the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom