Infamous old git
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Lots of new features: go see

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-17 at 08.39.11.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-05-17 at 08.39.11.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 478
Some useful additions in that lot, some addressing problems / gripes and comments raised on UKGSer, too.

Will it make it easier? Probably not; the update adds stuff or fine tunes what is there already. You have to learn the basics first.

The best way to learn is:

1. Be patient. Mapsource was not particularly intuitive on day one, either.

2. Create some real routes, don't just muck about. Creating real routes, ones that you'll use, forces you to work through it, rather than giving up in high dudgeon after 10 minutes. You have routes to do, so that's a good start.

3. There is a reasonable amount to learn, so you'll probably forget things or sit there wondering 'How the hell did I do that?'. Don't worry, it will come back to you.

4. Always remember, you really cannot break it. No matter what.

5. It really is much more similar to Mapsouce than many people think. It took me a while to realise that, added to having to learn how to use a Mac at the same time. I am far from computer literate, dreading to touch anything but the most simple of tasks. I got there in the end.

6. Sometimes just a basic ask in Google, turns up answers. Something like: 'Joining routes in BaseCamp' will often turn up some very good idiot's guides. It's a safe bet that if you have a question, someone else will have had the same question somewhere in the world and will have had it answered.... Often very well.

Have fun.

Interestingly, I've just fired up Basecamp and checked for software updates and it tells me that there are none available at this moment.

Currently on version 4.2.5.
I clicked on Help then selected Check For Software Update but a box popped up with "No software update is available at this time".
Is there anything else I should do?

Will it make it easier? Probably not; the update adds stuff or fine tunes what is there already. You have to learn the basics first.

The best way to learn is:

1. Be patient. Mapsource was not particularly intuitive on day one, either.

2. Create some real routes, don't just muck about. Creating real routes, ones that you'll use, forces you to work through it, rather than giving up in high dudgeon after 10 minutes. You have routes to do, so that's a good start.

3. There is a reasonable amount to learn, so you'll probably forget things or sit there wondering 'How the hell did I do that?'. Don't worry, it will come back to you.

4. Always remember, you really cannot break it. No matter what.

5. It really is much more similar to Mapsouce than many people think. It took me a while to realise that, added to having to learn how to use a Mac at the same time. I am far from computer literate, dreading to touch anything but the most simple of tasks. I got there in the end.

6. Sometimes just a basic ask in Google, turns up answers. Something like: 'Joining routes in BaseCamp' will often turn up some very good idiot's guides. It's a safe bet that if you have a question, someone else will have had the same question somewhere in the world and will have had it answered.... Often very well.

Have fun.

The good thing is, it sounds like Basecamp is a lot better than when it first came out! Trouble is I have had 9 years using mapsource so it's easy to use. I will try and redo some existing routes first I think then go from there. I guess there are some videos on YouTube to help?

4.2.5 is the version available at Garmin for download - no mention of upgrade version.

I too had many years of Mapsource and more routes than I care to mention. I bit the bullet, spent a day (relieved by watching rugby through the afternoon) and got it cracked. What spurred my endeavours was the certainty that I HAD to learn it.

4.31 release May 16th 2014

4.2.5 is the version available at Garmin for download - no mention of upgrade version.

That's possibly cos you are on Windoze, This thread refers to AppStore basecamp update.( for Mac OS). Hopefully you won't need to wait too long.

I too had many years of Mapsource and more routes than I care to mention. I bit the bullet, spent a day (relieved by watching rugby through the afternoon) and got it cracked. What spurred my endeavours was the certainty that I HAD to learn it.

Your Upgrade to Mac?

Mac and Basecamp 4.2.4 here & when I check for updates it tells me I’m 'up to date’.

R

Mac and Basecamp 4.2.4 here & when I check for updates it tells me I’m 'up to date’.

R

Have you checked updates in applications? Worked for me.

You could always remove & reinstall it from the App Store.

I ran the udate from the Apple App Store. I now get the following error message every time I start up Basecamp:

"An error has occurred loading your data

Your list data file is corrupted. Basecamp is loading a back, but some data may be lost"

- not the sort of message you want to see!

I am currently in discussion with Garmin Support to find out what is wrong and a fix. But they are currently clueless and have asked for a copy of my XML file

Did that: At garmin's suggestion, I backed up within Basecamp; then deleted Basecamp from the Applications folder; emptied the Trash folder; downloaded the v4.3.1 version from the Garmin website...

And things got worse as when I run Basecamp it now gives me an error message that says that now, as well as the "list data file" being corrupted, it also says that "its backup file is corrupted"!!!!!

Garmin have escalated my problem. I will report back what happens.

BTW, as I run Time Machine backups on my Apple MacBook Pro, I am wondering whether to delete Basecamp and restore Basecamp (v 4.2.4) from a backup before I tried to update Basecamp. But I wonder whether I also need to restore the mythical "list data file". But I haven't a clue where that might be lurking on my computer.

Think I'll be giving this a miss for a bit. Thanks though to everyone for the heads up and iand46's help via PM's.

Back
Top Bottom