HID Replacement Bulb

daj

Droopy Member
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

My bike has had an HID conversion done before I bought it, so I have no idea about it all. As you can see from the pics (hopefully) it is well and truly gone. My question is, what is it? I need to buy and fit a replacement before I head off for a booked trip to Europe on Saturday. Any help would be most appreciated. :thumb2

Thanks

Dave

Attachments

• WP_20140520_002_small.jpg
    WP_20140520_002_small.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 191
  • WP_20140520_001_small.jpg
    WP_20140520_001_small.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 188
Speak to Les Wassall from this very site, he can help you and guide you through fixing it as well as supplying the bulb.

easy enough ugh to throw a standard bulb in there as an emergency, use the 2 wires from the posts inside the cap and attach direct to standard bulb.

Hid is easy to understand. Just takes feed from inside the cap, sends it to ballast and then back to the bulb (hence four wires into the back of the cap).

Follow the brown and yellow wires from the posts inside the cap, that will lead you to the original connectors that were used on the standard halogen bulb. Disconnect here, follow the wires from the back of the cap and you will find the other connectors which attach the bulb to the ballast.

should be a 5 minute job to replace the bulb with either hid bulb or halogen.

You should just be able to buy a replacement HID bulb. Many available on the Web. Should be a simple case of unplugging the old one (unlike a regular bulb, this will mean the wires come with it, just up to the first connectors you reach when you follow the wires from the bulb). There's probably even next day delivery. Only detail i would think about is bulb temperature. IMO the 6000k bulbs give the best brightness/colour. Higher kelvin than that and they're too Blue and not as bright.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

At least one EU country will give on the spot fines for HID's. Grey Beard on this site stated that Austria was fining biking tourists. Either go for the lowest bulb temperature which looks more like standard halogen or temporarily fit a standard lamp if you are in a risk area.

IMO it's stupid to fine people for trying to make their riding safer!

Remind me to post here if i ineed a replacement instead of looking on the Web! Much quicker ;-)

At least one EU country will give on the spot fines for HID's. Grey Beard on this site stated that Austria was fining biking tourists. Either go for the lowest bulb temperature which looks more like standard halogen or temporarily fit a standard lamp if you are in a risk area.

IMO it's stupid to fine people for trying to make their riding safer!

It's stupid blue hids that are the problem. Got one knob around here running 10000k in his sooped up motor the bulbs are purple and shed no light on the road at all :blast

I never go past a 5k bulb, and much prefer 4300k, less white than the higher temps, but the light output is actually better and lights up the road more efficiently. Of course running hid fogs as well is bound to perk up the interest of European plod in such arsehole countries as Austria and Switzerland, where the Gestapo fled Germany and took up positions in local law enforcement :D

Thanks very much for all the replies. Looks like it's going to be sorted. Cheers again. :beerjug:

I never go past a 5k bulb, and much prefer 4300k, less white than the higher temps, but the light output is actually better and lights up the road more efficiently. Of course running hid fogs as well is bound to perk up the interest of European plod in such arsehole countries as Austria and Switzerland, where the Gestapo fled Germany and took up positions in local law enforcement :D

:thumb The human eye is far more responsive to the 4k -5k spectrum as well.

+1 For the 5k. Checked mine this morning and it's 5k (thought it was 6k).

Back
Top Bottom