Nav 5 loss of everything but main roads...help

sijohnston

Reaction score
So planned a trip to Co.Kerry on Google Maps and Basecamp for last weekend on the new satnav. Was planning on doing some trails etc on the way down, so worked out a load of waypoints and was also told on plugging into my computer that it needed an update. Updated as instructed, imported waypoints, set out, and discovered that waypoints were present, but no roads to them. Only a few main roads. Have been through the forum here and tried various things, including performing Raiki over the device, but nothing is returning it to its former state! A further mapupdate on Garmin Express tells me there's not enough space. Any assistance would be welcome. Thanks in advance. In future when the original maps are on it, I'll use Tyre or plot on the device, as basecamp is utter pish.

Sounds like you've done something to the primary mapping data and all you are seeing is the base map. The base map is pretty crude, main town and cities, interconnecting main roads (without every twist and turn). It can be navigated by the device but is pretty useless TBH.

I can't understand how you've managed to fill a Nav5 as, ISTR, they have plenty of memory. You haven't used Mapsource or MapInstall to load your mapping data have you? These load the mapping as supplementary mapping alongside the primary. The primary mapping should be loaded/updated using Garmin Express (I'm talking regular Garmins here, though I assume the BMW units also use this?). Hopefully Wapping should be along shortly as he's the resident Nav5 Guru here.

No, the device is still showing 6MB of data available, but not enough to do the update, which also happens to be 6MB?? You're right though, it is the primary or base map I'm getting, which is sod-all use. Wapping, I'm all yours, or is it all ears???

No, the device is still showing 6MB of data available, but not enough to do the update, which also happens to be 6MB?? You're right though, it is the primary or base map I'm getting, which is sod-all use. Wapping, I'm all yours, or is it all ears???

Do you know how much total memory space there is? Possibly you have a corrupted primary mapping file that's taking up a fair chunk of the space...

Have you looked into the menus (not sure which on the Nav5) to ensure that the mapping you have installed is active? Will be under mapping/mapping detail somewhere in the settings and the checkbox should be checked for 2014.40 (assuming you are on the same mapping version as us mere mortals).

Bumpkin, thanks again. There's still quite a bit of memory left if I'm not mistaken. I'll take a closer look this evening and see if I can't get any further.

The little box is checked on the map information screen I presume! If not you'll only be having the base map :nenau

:beerjug:

Map & Vehicle > My Maps (installed Maps > Europe DEM: CN Europe NTU 2014.40 3D: CN Europe NTU 2014.40 ALL

These boxes want checking ;)

The little box is checked on the map information screen I presume! If not you'll only be having the base map :nenau

:beerjug:

Map & Vehicle > My Maps (installed Maps > Europe DEM: CN Europe NTU 2014.40 3D: CN Europe NTU 2014.40 ALL

These boxes want checking ;)

Micky, when I go into MyMaps the screen is empty, so I am presuming I have feck all but basemap present? Am having a poke around the now to see if I can figure it.

Micky, when I go into MyMaps the screen is empty, so I am presuming I have feck all but basemap present? Am having a poke around the now to see if I can figure it.

I'd have a guess and say that you're probably correct :nenau

Good luck :beerjug:

All sorted. Downloaded the new map to my computer and then installed onto the Nav5. I have to say though, garmin need some decent software bods in there, or google need to buy it over and integrate everything with their maps. Don't think I'll be using basecramp again. Thanks for your help guys. :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom