PDA

View Full Version : lots of coolant in the carbs

dellbert
19-06-14, 20:11
how do lads
the brother has a funduro thats been sitting doing feck all for about 2 years
last week i changed his c and s for him fitted a new battery and plugs and she fired
up an the first try
this week however he tried to start her and not a chance
i opened the bleed screws on the carbs and lots of coolant
just keeps flowing
seals i presume but im wondering how much work is involved
in sorting out the problem
any input would be appreciated
cheers:confused:

flatdog
19-06-14, 22:18
Coolant in the carbs?? Thats impossible.

If it's been stood for 2 years, the very first thing to do is empty the tank, carbs and anything with old fuel in it.
Chuck some new fuel in the tank and see if she starts. That may be all she needs.
If the liquid coming out the carbs is a funny colour, then your tank may have corrosion inside too.
What you describe points to water contaminated fuel which has rusted the tank and caused your problem.

Timolgra
20-06-14, 06:55
Old fuel is a piss yellow colour and smells rancid, there won't be rust in it.
Probably won't start because the old fuel gums the jets particularly the pilot jet.

Micky
20-06-14, 07:50
What they say :thumb

:beerjug:

dellbert
20-06-14, 15:18
afraid i dont think its the fuel lads
seems to be as the liquid flowed out of the drains the coolant levels got slowly lower
started no problem last week and there is some nice fresh juice in the tank
the liquid also has a nice sweet taste to it ,just like the coolant :confused:

Shunt
20-06-14, 18:06
Got a picture of what ur draining out and where from?

Is it coming out of the airbox?

Micky
20-06-14, 18:29
Just thinking that you should get someone to have a look Dellbert, someone who knows what they're doing :nenau

Bleed screws on carbs? D'ya mean the drain screws at the bottom of the float chamber? Or are you undoing something else :eek:

Something not right here ... for coolant to get in to the float chamber it has to be via the head gasket in to the cylinder head space, then via the inlet valve, inlet tract and then down the float needle in to the float chamber ...

:nenau

Shep
20-06-14, 18:38
Something not right here ... for coolant to get in to the float chamber it has to be via the head gasket in to the cylinder head space, then via the inlet valve, inlet tract and then down the float needle in to the float chamber ...

I think you're looking too much on the downside……

……….it might just be a crack in the head!

Micky
20-06-14, 18:41
I think you're looking too much on the downside……

……….it might just be a crack in the head!

Who's :blast

dellbert
23-06-14, 17:53
your right micky
drain screws on the bottom of the floats is bang on
seems a bit strange all right
a long ways to travel all right :nenau

karlp
28-06-14, 20:51
Just thinking that you should get someone to have a look Dellbert, someone who knows what they're doing :nenau

Bleed screws on carbs? D'ya mean the drain screws at the bottom of the float chamber? Or are you undoing something else :eek:

Following on from this.

Take the spark plugs out

If it is coming via this route I would expect the plugs to be coated especially since you have turned the engine over.

Myke Rocks
28-06-14, 21:45
Reading between the lines, it seems probable that the carburettor has a water heated flange on it, and you are loosening the bleed nipple on the water heated flange rather than the drain on the float bowls.
Quite a common device on many engines.
Myke

Micky
29-06-14, 06:59
Reading between the lines, it seems probable that the carburettor has a water heated flange on it, and you are loosening the bleed nipple on the water heated flange rather than the drain on the float bowls.
Quite a common device on many engines.
Myke

Good one Myke :thumb

Now down in the Süd Schwarzwald, been thinking about this. Some bikes have a water heated manifold or other device to stop the carbs 'icing' in winter .... could be this that our friend is draining?