If you have an S10

Packer

Appreciating Scotland
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
just put it on the centre stand and ping the spokes as you turn the rear wheel before you ride anywhere.

At 3,300 miles and still in the "love the bike and look back at it as you walk away" mode I noticed something shiny lying on the rear rim. One spoke sans nipple. A quick ping check revealed two others so loose that the nipples would have been saying "sayonara" to the spokes within a few miles. Due to the wheel design the nipples fall out and are lost.

Probably nobody will have loose spokes and I'm just unlucky but best check anyway.

just put it on the centre stand and ping the spokes as you turn the rear wheel before you ride anywhere.

At 3,300 miles and still in the "love the bike and look back at it as you walk away" mode I noticed something shiny lying on the rear rim. One spoke sans nipple. A quick ping check revealed two others so loose that the nipples would have been saying "sayonara" to the spokes within a few miles. Due to the wheel design the nipples fall out and are lost.

Probably nobody will have loose spokes and I'm just unlucky but best check anyway.

They're almost certainly exploding with delight ....

I think you are going to have to admit that bike is jinxed

I think you are going to have to admit that bike is jinxed

I hope not, I want to put another 95,000 miles on it. At least the deer seem to have stopped launching themselves at it.

Reaching for the tool kit to check the remaining spokes I discovered that the assessment of "no damage" on the second hit travelling home from your place was a little premature. The inner plastic that carries the electronics, battery, tool kit etc. is smashed. The deer must have gone into the side panel first, I thought it had run right onto my foot, it felt that way.

On the plus side I can assert that the S10 handles brilliantly on the twisties with a 20Kgs sack of tile adhesive on the pillion and rack and that three loose spokes don't seem to matter at all:D

The rear spokes need to be checked and indeed should be on service but very rarely are, for some reason the rears are susceptible to becoming loose. Yamaha only sell the spokes as full wheel sets so the cost of not checking is a life times supply of a full set minus 1.

I've always checked spokes, just didn't expect to need to at only 3½K miles. Might call for application of threadlock.

The dealer has been told by Yam UK that the spokes should be checked every 2½K miles. Not so good that the dealer had never been aware of this.

The owners handbook actually states that the wheels and spokes should be checked before every ride :eek 4 or 5 times a day seems a bit excessive :)

Rear Spokes S10

Hello one or my rear fell out ,dealer replaced under warranty but only sold as sets around £80?I check them every 1k miles 6Nm torque.:thumb

I have a full set of Yamaha OEM spokes to sell if anyone is out of warranty and wants some spares :nenau

I think they can sometimes settle a bit from new, mine have been fine so far (15k)

I tend to check them when cleaning the bike as it only takes 30 seconds per wheel.

Back
Top Bottom