Red Kite Rally - regulations available

Im booked...but not on GS!
Wish I had known about the Big Bike thingy before I sold KLX....
... anyone got a cheapo Africa or XTZ750 for sale?

REd Kite........rally of disc......

Bob.
I will soon be sending in my regs for the Red Kite rally. Dick Jacobeck and I will enter on our GS,s.

We both did the Cambrian on the BM,s , and it was great fun.

But what we are after is some regs or whatever, to get into the Welsh Rally of Discovery.

Pm me , or 07830 288 080...Tony Allen.....Thanks.

Red Kite on a GS......

Harv.
Enter on the GS, You know it makes sense. We will keep you company....Any thing else is cheating:D

Tony Allen...

Red Kite rally

Bob

I am considering entering this event. It would be my first outing on a 1100GS off road and I am a little apprehensive as you can probably imagine.

Will there be any particualrly difficult sections that may "stop" the bigger bikes? Any deep water or bog sections that may kill the bike? Any get cop out clauses for the big bikes?

It does sound like great fun - I did take part in the Snow Run last weekend - but on something much smaller - KDX 220!! Not too sure if I would be biting off more than I could possibly chew!!

Final question - IYHO what tyres would you recommend for a GS off road - (without trying to open a can of worms in this thread!)

Regards
Paul (bornagainbiker)

.....Mmmmmm...Nope! I think a 400 DRZ is just the dogs danglies for this event!
B.A.B....dont worry too much about the tyres...the pogo stick mob only want you there to give them some traction when your layed out in the mud halfway up a climb!
Seriously though, these rallies are top fun....I did my first two last year now I have bought a new bike and trailer anf have entered them all..just wish I had stronger control over my emotions...I would love to take an Adv. or a KTM 950 out but I know I would cry if I dropped 9 grands worth of bike down a mountain!

bornagainbiker

The Red Kite will probably be the easiest of all the rallies in the Big Bike Challenge as we are a little restricted this year in where we can go. The only section with any deep water is the MOD off-road training course (which will be part of special stage 2) but if you take it steady it won’t be a problem for any GS. I know the route and have ridden it all on my GSA a few times, indeed some of the more “interesting” bits have been taken out at the request of the MOD. I believe it’s an ideal starter event for anyone on any bike, for an experienced rider on an lightweight trail/enduro bike it may be too easy (but great fun).

The only off-road tyres I would recommend for the GS are TKC 80’s.

Come on guys. Get your applications in and bring your GS . I've done the Cambrian twice now and can guarantee that Big Bob Jeffries and the WTRA run an excellent rally. You WILL be able to do it on your GS, and you WILL have a brilliant day.
We can't let the KTMs take all the prizes.

and can guarantee that Big Bob Jeffries and the WTRA run an excellent rally
The organisation will be fine...he cant book 'the weather' for toffee however...last years Cambrian Day 1 is the wettest Ive ever been on a bike in my life!....
....but Im going back for more this year!

Anyone else up for this one then?
Where is the Saturday night beer drinking being done?
....errrrm...where is the Sunday night beer drinking being done?

harv
two mates and myself are riding down from warwick on saterday afternoon (one 1150gs and two 1100gs,s) were not doing the event but are going to watch,l think the pub to be in is called the castle hotel.

your welcome to meet up with us to ride down if you are riding down as is enyone else

does enyone know lf there will be camping avalable at the rugby club on saterday night

dibdob

What's the deal with spectators? I'd love to come watch this. In fact I'd love to enter but haven't got the right gear or bike (or skills!) at the moment - next year :D

Anyone know if there's local camping available?

Camping is available at the Rugby Club (where we start of the event) next to the practice pitches, showers & toilets are there, normally £5/night.

Drinking - Rugby Club, loads of pubs and the Castle Hotel.

Spectating - the ride out to the start of the off-road stuff is on public roads. Where the course turns right off the tarmac just after a cattle grid at the end of a single lane "dual carrigeway" go straight on for about 1.5 miles, the second (and fourth) special stages runs parralel to the road about 200m on the left. Continue straight on for about another 4 miles and you'll pick up the arrow showing the way to the lunch / refueling point - there more to see near there.

I'll be doing the timing on one of the special stages (red BMW 5) and will probably be in the Castle Hotel on the Saturday night, say hello and I'll try and show you more - it's a help if you have an OS map (GPS's are no good - no roads are shown over the military ranges).

Please note that it is absolutly forbidden to ride around the course if your not entered or ride anywhere other than the main tarmac road over the ranges - the MP's will be about (they don't have the restrictions of civilian police) as will our marshals. If anyone is caught "swanning" it's likely that ALL motorcycle sport will be banned from the ranges.

Thanks for the info Bob!

Is there an entry fee for spectators? Also, if I understand you correctly, spectators can ride onto the ranges (using the approved road) and basically go back and forth as they wish to view the action?

Mouse

No charge for spectating, strictly speaking we don't have spectators, just people passing bye who stop to watch :D

Your right, there is a tarmac road from Llywel (just off the A40 between Trecastle and Halfway) across the ranges to Tirabad. This is a public road open to all traffic unless the MOD have temporarily closed it for exercises (it definitely won't be closed Easter weekend). It's a good biking road but watch your speed as it has wondering sheep, a few nasty bends and MP's patrolling.

There are also a few good GS’able off-road tracks in the area, the old Roman Road that runs South of the A40 to Llandovery and Cefn Llywdlo near Tirabad are particularly good but quite easy and of course the tarmac roads around Llyn Brianne reservoir and across to Tregaron or Llanddewi Brefi are superb.

Have fun.

Cheers bob

The lads and mysalf will be in the castle on saterday night so hopefully we will see you there,we might be talked into marshaling if your desperate

Do you know wot os maps might come in handy ?

mark (dibdob)

p.s. Were you in the red bmw at the snowrun or were you the chap holding us high numbers up so the low numbers could get going costing me 6 minities ?

Twas me in the red BMW, head stuck in a computer and controlling the traffic lights.

The guy holding you up was Julian Bishop, a long time GS rider and extremely experianced off-roader on the GS and almost every other type of bike known to man.

I did tell the guy doing the results to ignore any lateness for the "wobblers" on that check :D you must have slipped through :confused:

ROD Wales and Wyegate Trial

Sorry bob I missed you at the wyegate trial , i looked in the pub at the end , but could not see you , we had to go fairly sharpish dut to ferry leaving early , I was given a package with toutech maps etc for you and i still have it from Pat keenan

regards

Phil Gunn

Well in the end we travelled down for the day and spent an hour or so by the side of the road watching people go by with big sprays of mud :D

Excellent fun, looked like even more fun to take part! A few competitors even stopped to say hello, one of them told me I should be in the rally, on my 1200! Maybe next year :)

So if you saw two odd people waving and clapping as you road past, that was us :D

Back
Top Bottom