'93 Trophy 900 with fuelling problems

pint6x

Reaction score
Hi y'all,

My 1993 900 Trophy is peeing me off mightily at the moment.

I bought it 3 years ago, and immediately noticed there was a bit of a stumble between 5k & 6k rpm where it felt like there was either rubbish in the carbs or it was running out of fuel. Of course 5k-6k is where you find yourself spending most of the time!

Anyway, it got progressively worse until I took it to a bloke in Andover wot bakerman knows - bloke is supposed to be a Triumph "expert". Kept the bike 2 weeks, charged me a bleedin' fortune, and almost, almost fixed the problem. It was 90% better, but not perfect.

I was told he'd checked the valves - all good, checked the coils - all good, he'd changed bits in the carbs, and balanced everything. Since then, it's gone back to being awful, though the problem is between 4k & 5k now.

I was told it had the standard air filters replaced with K&Ns, and that some breather tubes under the seat which feed air to the carbs had had the wadding removed to liberate a few extra ponies. Apparently the wadding was there to restrict airflow and peg the engine at 97bhp.

Anyway, it's a king-sized pain in the derrier, and I need to find someone that can fix it. Not someone that replaces everything in sight, charges me loads of money, but doesn't fix the problem - someone that knows about carbs and fuelling that can sort it out once and for all, preferably someone that knows their Triumph triples.

So who can recommend someone?

cheers - philip

Sounds like a butcher has been in there at some stage. I had a trophy 1200 which gave endless trouble and could not be fixed the last straw came when I seen the mechanic glueing fuel pipes on. I had bought the bike new and made the dealer take it back. I'm going back about 12 years now but I remember that instead of brass spigots on the carbs they were plastic and plenty of them. One thing used to happen was that a vacuum pipe would become dislodged and the fuel would shut off. After a lot of trial and error the first time it happened I had to put the fuel tap into prime and she would work grand again. Maby you have a partial problem which is allowing enough fuel trough until you look for a bit more? Probably barking up the wrong tree but worth a try with the fuel tap in prime? JJH

the mikuni bst ss carbs fitted to the triumphs and loads of suzukis can be a pain, there are numerous o rings that break down, they seem to suffer from blocked passagewaysv and they are a pain for wearing out needles when ethanol based fuels are used.
Usual fix is a full strip, ultra sonic cleaning and a rebuild using new needles , emulsion tubes etc then a proper set up.
Most of the suzuki sites talk about an average of £60 to £100 per carb average

Phillips

The Trophy 900 shares bits with the Tiger 900 "Steamer" as in they just keep steaming on

There's a wealth of knowledge in this Forum

There's a guy on there Sin-Tiger that has my surplus O rings for the Mikuni Carbs

They are a Robust old beast but fcuking with the airbox is a BIG no no with the Steamers !!

Good Luck

Here's the How To links

Back
Top Bottom