Chinese Tourance

I of the Strom

Reaction score
About 5500kms into a trip I had some new Tourances fitted in Split, Croatia by a known and respected company (recommended by local bikers) but never really felt at home with them. Now my 1100GS had just clocked 100,000 miles a couple of days before, many of them done on Tourances so I am quite familiar with the combination of these tyres, heavily loaded 1100 and my riding style. They looked different (no manufacturing baubles on the tread pattern area just down the walls towards the rim edge, and plenty fine extra joint/seam material in the tread gullies) and although fitted correctly they sounded different and felt different to me, but I eventually convinced myself I was being paranoid or even just suspicious because they were not fitted by my regular supplier. I did all the usual scrubbing in but felt uneasy on them and after 200 miles had hardly been off the mid tread when hitting my first bit of wet road was straight over the edge of a mountain alpine like pass and saved only by tree from a massive fall into the valley below. It was like being on water over ice, the bike totally out of control just went with the off-camber over and down the mountain coming to a stop 15-20 feet down facing back the way we had come. I believe it hit me and thats what did my shoulder, minimal damage to the bike though.
So anybody else had problems with Chinese Tourances and what are others fitting on their R1100GS's as after many years I feel the need to find an alternative to my once much loved Tourances ?

You saying that you take a pair of worn Tourances off( say 6m after being new)?

Stick on a new pair of Chinese Tourances, and you think they sound, feel and are different???????

Puhleeze! :blast

Al

Road back roads across Ireland last week in the pissing rain with a Chinese Tourance, no problems and that's a good test:beerjug:

Got any photos of you in the tree?:D

I fitted a Chinese rear Tourance to my 1150gs just before doing Spain and Portugal last week. I have only used tourances since owning the bike from new and my initial impression of the Chinese one were not brilliant. A couple of hundred miles normally see's them scrubbed in, but I had a few 'moments' right up until they had covered a good 500 plus miles. This included wet and dry roads. Normal service now 'seems' to be resumed, but I think I will be giving another brand a go next time as I don't relish having to scrub a new front Chinese tyre in. Maybe there is an extra dose of release agent on them? Either way I agree they feel different and not in a good way at first.

I've got a Brazian tourence on the front of my f800adv 90/90/21 JJH

I've got Chinese Tourances on my 1150 and they've been fine in all conditions so far.

Seem a bit softer if anything so I'm expecting a bit less life out of them

No brand fooking new. Jjh

Foghorn-Leghorn-Thats-a-joke-son-You-missed-it-Flew-right-by-ya.jpg

Al:blast

Blackal I stand corrected. I should've said Californian. Totally bare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think its been well reported on the variability of the carcass rigidity of later Tourances - the later versions definitely feel 'different' and some batches wouldn't feel the same as earlier tyres.

Usually you can compensate for carcass rigidity by adding more pressure - i had to put about 42psi in my front one before it felt 'normal'..

Try it and see

Will try that when I retrieve the bike but will take it easy till have 500 miles plus on them as stated by fatnfast. Not a problem as will be doing about 4000 miles on return journey.
Didn't know anything about there being Tourances made in China till after the event and upon reading a thread on another site, then checked the new pair to find the telltale markings ! Can't say for sure if they were a contributory factor but wanted to start this thread to a) find out more and b) make others aware. This is a serious matter as if there are dodgy and life endangering tyres out there then the more that know the better.

Just had a rear fitted, approved supplier etc................so we'll see Tourance,made in China

did you scrub in the tyres or is that icy feeling the release compound still on the tyres

I would say that the tyre has has a load of release agent on it, more than I've seen on a tyre before and the rubber is blacker.............if that makes sense

I will be taking it easy for a good few miles, only just re-fitted to night and not ridden it yet - picked the wheel and tyres up in the Van as I had a few different wheels/tyres to sort

I would say that the tyre has has a load of release agent on it, more than I've seen on a tyre before and the rubber is blacker.............if that makes sense

I will be taking it easy for a good few miles, only just re-fitted to night and not ridden it yet - picked the wheel and tyres up in the Van as I had a few different wheels/tyres to sort

This is my theory as well. I was fortunate to get 2-300 miles on the rear in good weather on nice flowing twisty roads. The next 100 or so were on wet roads (heading towards Chaves, Portugal, on a real nice twisty road) and it was not a very pleasant experiance. Very little feeback and that riding on ice feeling. Over the next few hundred dry miles I really switched back to riding as if on a new tyre again and gradually built up the lean angle once more. It took at least 500 miles before I was happy with it.
Its got 1500 miles on it as of today, and Im happy to lean it to the edges, just like the made in Germany version.

Back
Top Bottom