F650 GSPD - Fan motor shorted ? - Electrical assistance please.

Sgt Pepper

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in the final stages of a full frame/electrics everything but the engine rebuild and am having a few problems with the radiator fan on my F650. Initially it was moving when the engine had got to temperature but making a real racket so I took it off and fitted a new fan motor I'd bought as part of a spares supply that I had for an RTW a few years back. In testing the operation of the old fan, I heard and could see some sort of short (using power directly from battery) as the power jumped between plug pins and then that fan stopped working altogether. Tested the new one the same way :blast out of the shroud which went fine. It ran up and no shorting. I then fitted it to the shroud (which is plastic) and that one shorted :blast :blast :blast although no wires touched...it just arced. Fitted it into the wiring loom to test? :blast, ran the engine up to temperature and no fan cut in albeit that the supply cable was registering 12.5 volts. In short :rolleyes:, forgive the pun, I'm not too smart on electrics and am wondering if I really have shorted the motor or there is something else I can't think of. I did try running power directly to the new fan a third time and it did briefly run up a little but the cable plastic started to overheat very quickly so that was the end of that.

This probably sounds like a very daft question to those of you in the know electrically but before I shell out for another motor I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain the most likely reason and if I really will need to buy another fan.

Any help this evening would be most gratefully received as I have an opportunity for a cheapish fan and don't want to lose it if I do actually need it.

Many Thanks,

Mike

Seems I'm not the only one not in the know with electrical motors :augie .....either that or you are too embarrassed to correct me. :jes

For those this thread may be helpful for, I decided to go with a second-hand K1200 RS fan, which is the same dimensions as the F650 (that is, out of the plastic shrouding) but at around half the price. £32.50 inc P&P after a bit of "Best Offer" negotiations on E-bay.

Back
Top Bottom