K1100 cutting out

The Grey One

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We have a guest here on a N reg K1100 that has an intermittant fault. It cuts out but will re start 5 or 10 mins later. The owner says it often cuts as the revs drop to 3000 rpm but re starts again if you leave it in gear. Other times it just cuts and will not re start for a while.

Anyone got any suggestions on where to look?

John

If it's happening once it is up to temperature, I'd start with the temperature sensor (item #15) here:

B0003207.png

Many owners chase all over with similar faults and it's often finally traced to this sensor which regulates fuel supply via the Motronic which shuts the supply down if it reads too high.

If it's the cause, then yes. There's no bodge work around that I know of.

I have a spare that as far as I know was working (I changed it during a strip down because I was in there anyway). The trouble is that it takes a fair bit of work to get at it and if you stick a second-hand sensor in and it too is goosed, you'll probably spend ages and lots of money checking injectors, fuel pump, coils, plugs, even the Motronic unit itself, TPS etc, etc.

It's often overlooked as the source of the problem described and just as often turns out to be the cause.

If it's the cause, then yes. There's no bodge work around that I know of.

I have a spare that as far as I know was working (I changed it during a strip down because I was in there anyway). The trouble is that it takes a fair bit of work to get at it and if you stick a second-hand sensor in and it too is goosed, you'll probably spend ages and lots of money checking injectors, fuel pump, coils, plugs, even the Motronic unit itself, TPS etc, etc.

It's often overlooked as the source of the problem described and just as often turns out to be the cause.

I agree about using secondhand parts like that, I have seen too much time wasted by doing this. The guest is leaving tomorrow so I don't think we can get a new sensor in time anyway. If it is the sensor causing the fault is it likely to fail and stop the bike altogether? I suspect the owner will try to get the bike recovered home because of the fear of it cutting out on the autobahn. Thanks for the info, even if it does not help this guy you have added to my knowledge of these bikes

John

It should run okay until it gets hot. Left to cool it will run again. How long for is the unknown.

It should run okay until it gets hot. Left to cool it will run again. How long for is the unknown.

The bike is now at the BMW dealer in Villach, hopefully we will know more in the morning

John

Back
Top Bottom