Tank sealant ?

Bubb

Dogsbody
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Whats the best petrol tank sealer/liner out there ?

I am refurbing a 1983 R80ST, and was hoping to tap into the knowledge on here to get the best tank sealer.
Its currently rusty inside, but no holes thankfully.
I can rattle a load of old bolts etc round inside to get the loose rust off the inside, but then what do I use to re-seal the inside?

Thanks

Bubb

By far the best thing you can do is take the tank to a platers and ask them to give it a 24 hour dip in their acid bath. This will remove all trace of rust. You will however need to re-paint the tank after!

If the paint on the tank is good the I find POR-15 products to be fantastic!

+1 for Por 15, it worked a treat on a scabby GS tank. Just dont spill it on the bits you dont want sealed.

Thanks to you both... I have seen POR15 products for re lining tanks, just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing before I order the stuff.

PS: paint on the outside of the tank is fine for the moment, so I will be careful not to do any damage... thanks for the "heads-up".

Ride safe

Bubb

Does the original redish coating inside the tank have to be completely removed before using POR15 or will POR15 stick to it OK?

David nimrod stripped the red liner and rust out of his tank using white vinegar and a few lengths of chain. It worked a treat and saved the need to seal the tank

Back
Top Bottom