I am in

Garry H

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
BMW seem to have lost it as far as build quality goes...You hear about far to many problems :rolleyes:
Rode a S10 loved it bought one simple as :thumb

BMW seem to have lost it as far as build quality goes...You hear about far to many problems :rolleyes:

Tis a subjective view, however enjoy the yam and don't hesitate to let us know how it stacks up...OK ? :D

Very nice.

They may not be as exciting as some of the competition according to the press but ultra reliable.

Love and trust mine!

Mike

Enjoy - just remember to check the wheel spokes before every ride ;)

Has it broke down yet?
Can you read the clocks?
Any corrosion showing up yet?
Any gearbox/clutch problems yet?

Good one ... enjoy :thumb
:beerjug:

Gave it the 2 up test and the verdict from the passenger and after over 200 miles is very good
Just as good as the 1200GS if not better...So no problems there :comfort
I thought it carried the weight better than the GS too

After a few hundred miles I like it..Very underrated IMHO
If you are looking for a adventure bike and don't want 150HP or the constant worry about reliability give one a test ride
I like it's looks too :thumb2

I really like mine, 2 years on and 12,000 trouble free miles it is nice to have a bike that I do not worry about riding.

If your going to keep it it is well worth getting an ECU Flash to increase low-down power in 1st - 3rd gear, especially useful two-up and on tight twisties (like Mountain passes) which is where the restrictions are most noticeable.

For two-up I found the OE shock a bit weak (as I have on most bikes in the past, GS included) I had a Wilburs fitted to mine with uprated spring and it was utterly brilliant two-up, just had it sprung back to stock now the Mrs rides her own bike everywhere, I reckon it would still be much better than stock on this spring two up if you mainly ride solo (the damping is far better and the adjustment range much wider than the Yamaha unit)

Also had forks re-worked with linear springs and this really improves the ride quality and handling a lot.

I also dropped the forks through the yokes about 8mm which improves the steering a lot, especially with an extra line of pre-load on the rear shock (which also stops it losing ground clearance) it is still not as quick steering as the GS was, but certainly feels nicer and is still dead stable.

The more I ride my super 10 the more I think the design and sales managers must be pissing themselves laughing over in BMW land that people keep buying their Bavarian pieces of s$¥t

I had a 08 1200GS and to be fair only had the final drive seal and 2 headlamp bulbs go in 20k
But I never trusted the thing you hear far to many bad things about the 1200's...Purchased on a whim cuz it was a bargain
I have had a 1100GS that I have done over 60k on and the only failures have been 1 headlight bulb, 1 stop light bulb, 1 speedo cable and 1 clutch cable
That bikes a keeper...So is my Basic and R100GSPD
You see so many 1200's for sale I was tempted to PX it against the S10
I called 6 dealers to see what it was worth against a S10...None were BMW dealers
2 said they would not even consider it in PX due to reliability issues :bow
2 said has it got abs or esa because if it has they were not interested ( that surprised me because people say I want abs at least ) again due to reliability issues :nenau
2 offered me a decent price and had no problems PXing it
In the end I sold it to a mate for the PX price I was offered
Makes me wonder if one of the reasons people stay with the beemers because that's the best way to get rid of your old one :comfort

Re the wheel spokes every trip is a bit :toungincheek but Yam say check every 2½K miles.

Re the wheel spokes every trip is a bit :toungincheek but Yam say check every 2½K miles.
From what I can gather once they have bedded in they don't need much attention at all
Mine had done 800 miles when I first got it..It's now done 1500 and they have not moved at all
I can put up with the odd loose spoke that's not going to leave me stranded

Thinking of taking the plunge into the Tenere pool myself, I have liked them since they first came out but haven't done yet..........!

What is the verdict by pillions on pillion comfort? It looks to have a nice flat seat without the forward slope that lots of bikes have nowadays

My Mrs liked it, but the rear seat is a shade shorter and with the (SW-Motech) top box it felt a tiny bit cramped (sorted by modifying the mount plate to move the box back 2 inches - other top boxes may not sit as far forward either)

She reckons the Yamaha is more comfy over bumps (I think the rising rate shock is an improvement, and the forks definitely less juddery than the telever setup) and the more linear power delivery made it a smoother ride than the peakier GS, but she loved the lack of dive on the brakes with the GS and really missed that with the Yamaha - it also meant I had to brake smoother and earlier to keep her happy.

Like the GS it is fairly undersprung two-up, especially when loaded up and it is well worth the cost of a Wilburs sprung for your needs if you plan on doing a lot of two-up touring, and linear fork springs are fantastic for both comfort and handling (solo and two-up)

My Mrs liked it too
Never commented on the brake dive even when I said hang on I am going to try them out
With the standard luggage more room than a 1200GS
I had the stock suspension on GS and the S10 she said the S10 was not such a bouncy ride
She found the seat and seating position fine and very similar to the GS but preferred the S10
The main thing she commented on was how much smoother the ride was from the S10 and preferred the S10 by far for that reason
But she was not so keen on the power delivery in S mode so I use it in T mode and that's nice and gentle for 2 up work
I did a bit of research about pillion comfort on the S10 before trying one because it will be used a lot 2 up and found plenty of good reviews from pillions
Just take her out for the day on a demo ride ...That's what I did :thumb2
I am glad she liked it because i would not have another 1200GS and would have been looking for a mint 1150 adventure and there not that easy to cum by

Back
Top Bottom