Garmin Basecamp Software

FBF

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All

Am i thick or is Garmin BaseCamp a pile of poo.

I am trying to add some routes to my Nav iv using BaseCamp but am having problems with the basics i.e finding Lavrio Port, think I found Lavrio bus station but no trace of the port, does it still exist ?.

When I enter Patras I cant find the Port in the dropdown list.

I tried entering the postcode and the address in greek all to no avail.

Is there an easy way of creating a route on a computer and transferring it to the navigator

Hi All

I am trying to add some routes to my Nav iv using BaseCamp but am having problems with the basics i.e finding Lavrio Port, think I found Lavrio bus station but no trace of the port, does it still exist ?.

Is there an easy way of creating a route on a computer and transferring it to the navigator

Basecamp is not the best thing but you do have to search using the local names, try again using Petra. Select "transportation" from the drop down list and you will find the port. Postcodes are generally not a lot of help in Europe, in most countries they encompass an entire town or a large area so wont help you pinpoint a place.

John

PS, you can't be that thick if you have worked out that basecamp is poo!

Hi All

Yup - https://www.motogoloco.com/map/

Create, save (you'll need a user account to save routes but it's free, takes 20 seconds and we promise not to spam the crap out of your inbox) then click Export. You can either send it straight to your Garmin (it'll prompt you to install Garmin Communicator if it's not already present on your PC), or you can download the .GPX file and go from there.

Easy!

:)

Basecamp is not the best thing but you do have to search using the local names, try again using Petra. Select "transportation" from the drop down list and you will find the port. Postcodes are generally not a lot of help in Europe, in most countries they encompass an entire town or a large area so wont help you pinpoint a place.

John

PS, you can't be that thick if you have worked out that basecamp is poo!

Hi John

I tried selecting transportation but could not find the Port, found plenty of bus stops.

is there an alternative to base camp beisdes a good old fashioned paper map

Hi

great piece of software except it freezes when I try to export to the Nav iv.

Tried it twice and both occasions it froze and saved route has gone awol

Hmm, that''s odd (I take it that's for me?) - are you able to save the GPX file, i.e. not directly exporting it?

I'm keen to help see what the problem is, so please send any more details to info@motogoloco.com and we'll do our best to keep you right.

Cheers
James

Hmm, that''s odd (I take it that's for me?) - are you able to save the GPX file, i.e. not directly exporting it?

I'm keen to help see what the problem is, so please send any more details to info@motogoloco.com and we'll do our best to keep you right.

Cheers
James

Hi James

after i closed browser i found a popup requesting permission to send data to the nav.

have managed to export a route however I have selected teh option for twisty routes but the route displayed appears to be a motorway route. I would like to see th total distance for the journey and the distance between the various waypoints, is this possible and if so how?

do you have a phone number i can call you on as I find the process of email support tedious and too time consuming.

Hi John

I tried selecting transportation but could not find the Port, found plenty of bus stops.

is there an alternative to base camp beisdes a good old fashioned paper map

Something odd here then, when I look in Basecamp under Patra and then transportation I get 14 results . Both north and south ferry terminals and several shipping lines are listed. No bus stops so I have no idea how you got that result. I never thought I would be defending Basecamp but it does appear to work properly in this on my laptop.

John

Here is what I see

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 922
Finding place names has never been Basecamp's strong suit (nor that of any Garmin software). Sometimes they are in the wrong language, sometimes they just can't be found.

If you've managed to get it to find the town, you're probably doing pretty well.

Finding place names has never been Basecamp's strong suit (nor that of any Garmin software). Sometimes they are in the wrong language, sometimes they just can't be found.

If you've managed to get it to find the town, you're probably doing pretty well.

See my post above, the OP could find exactly what he is looking for. I am not great fan of Basecamp but in this case it works.

John

Hi Grey One

Thank you for your kind help. The name I inserted into the search was PATRAS you appear to have found it by using PATRA.

Geography and place names were never of great interest to me at school.

Will try again when I get home.

Once again thanks to everyone who's taken the time and effort to reply to my post

I always find that it helps to navigate the map to the town/region that I am interested in and then seeing what waypoints/poi's Basecamp offers on the map

I always find that it helps to navigate the map to the town/region that I am interested in and then seeing what waypoints/poi's Basecamp offers on the map

That's how I search, works well, address's and postcodes too.

Hi Grey One

Thank you for your kind help. The name I inserted into the search was PATRAS you appear to have found it by using PATRA.

Geography and place names were never of great interest to me at school.

Will try again when I get home.

Once again thanks to everyone who's taken the time and effort to reply to my post

No problem, Garmin uses the local versions of town names so Patra will find the correct place for you. If in doubt about spelling you can always try Google to find the correct local name

John

I have just spent the past hour trying to create the route on basecamp and can not get the bloody thing to make any sense.

i found patra but cant find the port, having problems inserting waypoints

program hangs every few minutes

have managed to create a route of sorts using MotoGoLoco so hopefully I wont get too lost on way back.

If the above fails I hope the Nav will be able to give me a half decent route otherwise it will be back to good old fashioned map reading

No problem, Garmin uses the local versions of town names so Patra will find the correct place for you. If in doubt about spelling you can always try Google to find the correct local name

John
By no means.

Try searching for 'Trier', you won't find it - even when you can see Trier on the map, the search function won't find it. Search for 'Treves' and it will find it easily.

Quite how you would know to use the French name for a German town is beyond me.

Similarly for Basel. Basecamp has no knowledge of a town named Basel (the local spelling) I can see it on the map in front of me. Neither does it know about Basle (the English name for the town). if you search for Bale (the French name) it finds, believe it or not, Basel (the local name). How would you know to use the French name for a Swiss town?

There are plenty of other examples where basecamp simply refuses to find names of places, even though you can see them on the map or on the screen of your zumo.

Hi James

after i closed browser i found a popup requesting permission to send data to the nav.

have managed to export a route however I have selected teh option for twisty routes but the route displayed appears to be a motorway route. I would like to see th total distance for the journey and the distance between the various waypoints, is this possible and if so how?

do you have a phone number i can call you on as I find the process of email support tedious and too time consuming.

Sure do buddy - 0871 200 7770. Alternatively, drop me a PM with a contact number and we'll happily give you a buzz to help.

Cheers
James

By no means.

Try searching for 'Trier', you won't find it - even when you can see Trier on the map, the search function won't find it. Search for 'Treves' and it will find it easily.

Quite how you would know to use the French name for a German town is beyond me.

Similarly for Basel. Basecamp has no knowledge of a town named Basel (the local spelling) I can see it on the map in front of me. Neither does it know about Basle (the English name for the town). if you search for Bale (the French name) it finds, believe it or not, Basel (the local name). How would you know to use the French name for a Swiss town?

There are plenty of other examples where basecamp simply refuses to find names of places, even though you can see them on the map or on the screen of your zumo.

This old chestnut again.

Trier found in under a second.

Basel found in under a second,

Both using BaseCamp.

I guess I am just lucky?

Back
Top Bottom