Stelvio ownership... day 1

OK,so 24hrs into ownership and I'm already beginning to gel with this bike,it's difficult to explain but it's got a real different almost "quirky" sort of feel to it.

On close inspection everything appears to have a high quality finish,but I'm sure that time will answer that question.

Start it up and it sounds sublime,snick it silently into first gear and away you go.

What is evident right from the off is that even though this is a heavy bike, it's very well balanced at slow speed,change up into second gear and it's like a knife through butter as are all the other gears. The only time there is any noise from the gearbox is when the bike is really warm and even then it's only a click.

Pulling out of a junction onto an open road and accelerating through the gears is an absolute joy,the handling is good and even very quick changes in direction are relaxed and without drama.

Suspension is without a doubt far far superior to the very complex ESA system that I had on my 1200wc, the only time it feels anything like harsh is at very slow speeds on very rough roads,but even on rough roads once you get going it irons out all the roughness and doesn't get upset my minor potholes or changes in the surface i.e.where big patches of the surface have degenerated.

It's a very addictive bike to ride and I've heard that you have to learn to ride a Guzzi,not sure what that means ? but I think it's a very easy bike to ride and very easy to ride it quickly,it just doesn't seem to fight you at all.

It hasn't got the seat of the pants punch on acceleration that the 1200wc or the Explorer gives you,but at the end of the day I didn't buy an "Adventure bike" to go racing,and it would take a very well ridden WC or Explorer to leave you far behind,though I must admit I did miss it a couple of times when overtaking,I'll just have to polish up on my planning skills again.

Even tough it's an NTX model the screen is not as effective as the genius screen on the WC but I've got an old trick up my sleeve that will hopefully sort that out (I'll let you know if it works)

The only thing I'm not keen on is the very sensitive throttle which has caught me out a couple of times when riding slowly,but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

All in all I think it's a great bike....is it better than the 1200WC ?

I'll go and sort a few things out...fit the sat nav..sort the top box...then I'll get Jo to post me up some pics,during which time I'll have a good think about the above question and let you know my conclusion.

Steve

Nice initial report, Steve.:thumb I'm looking forward to the pictures.

"Start it up and it sounds sublime"

:blast "Sublime" is not a word for motorcycles - it's for Creme Brulee and souffles :ymca

(Sounds like you are enjoying the bike, though...........)

Al :D

With regards to the screen I have found that a Wunderlich screen extender works fine.
I couldn't make the standard NTX screen work regardless of adjustment but I fitted the Wunderlich flip and it is perfect.

It can snatch a bit at low speed however I have found that you soon adapt, I think that they get better as you run them in (is yours brand-new?). General running is helped by use of Super unleaded, the last 6 fill-ups have been with that and it is definitely running a lot better.
I did try a Finebeau tuning module but although it did help with the low speed running the first one didn't fit properly (the leads were too short so I could only fit it on a temporary basis) and when I fitted the replacement it didn't run on one of the cylinders at all so I decided I had had enough and got a refund. Since then I have found that using the better fuel has made all the difference and I wouldn't bother with anything like that again.

What top-box are you having, the optional MG Trax one?
That's what I have got and find it works really well. Top-box only for the daily commute and panniers for when I have to carry more items. All have the liners fitted plus I bought the hinge restraints and a set of matching locks (top-box & panniers didn't match as the top-box was an extra). I also bought the Trax wall brackets so the panniers can hang on the garage wall when not in use.

Here's a few of the stelvio. White is not an NTX option but I didn't like either the green or black so Andy at Teasdale motorcycles swapped me the panels from a white bike.

Do I think the stelvio is a better bike than the 1200wc ?

On Paper the 1200wc would appear to be a much better bike,for me there is no doubt, the Stelvio puts a massive smile on my face and is a much nicer bike to ride.

mot5_zps06749a1e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

moto1_zps06306b16.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

moto2_zpsd4552a94.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

moto3_zps81171d3e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

moto4_zps92172327.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I like it !!....:)

If I had just bought that then I would be clearing off ASAP on a nice continental 'bimble'.....and I know the exact destination.

Mandello del Lario.......:thumb2 :thumb2

Enjoy Sir.....:bounce1

They really are the most under rated "big Trailie " out there .
The Quality of the Finish is top class , none of the nasty corrosion associated with the
BMW Offerings .

I am on my Second , and currently selling my 2010 to move up to a 12 "new shape"
bike. To say i Like them would be an understatement .

I have a Top Box which is ""Secure "" as its intended purpose was to carry ""Valuables""
Billie reckons it looks awful !.
So , its for sale .

Attachments

• 021120131098.jpg
    021120131098.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,098
  • 021120131099.jpg
    021120131099.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,074
  • 021120131100.jpg
    021120131100.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,092
  • 021120131101.jpg
    021120131101.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,085
With regards to the screen I have found that a Wunderlich screen extender works fine.
I couldn't make the standard NTX screen work regardless of adjustment but I fitted the Wunderlich flip and it is perfect.

It can snatch a bit at low speed however I have found that you soon adapt, I think that they get better as you run them in (is yours brand-new?). General running is helped by use of Super unleaded, the last 6 fill-ups have been with that and it is definitely running a lot better.
I did try a Finebeau tuning module but although it did help with the low speed running the first one didn't fit properly (the leads were too short so I could only fit it on a temporary basis) and when I fitted the replacement it didn't run on one of the cylinders at all so I decided I had had enough and got a refund. Since then I have found that using the better fuel has made all the difference and I wouldn't bother with anything like that again.

What top-box are you having, the optional MG Trax one?
That's what I have got and find it works really well. Top-box only for the daily commute and panniers for when I have to carry more items. All have the liners fitted plus I bought the hinge restraints and a set of matching locks (top-box & panniers didn't match as the top-box was an extra). I also bought the Trax wall brackets so the panniers can hang on the garage wall when not in use.

Hi Al,
Thanks for the info.
I struggle with screen extenders as I don't like looking through the Perspex,but looking at the screen it does look as though it may lend itself to be pushed out 20mm which then pushes the air up inside the screen rather than over the top.(if you look at the new 1200wc screen this is juat what this does and it works.

I've also found the throttle very light and a bit snatchy at low speed.I've tried a throttle rocker today and it improved it quite a bit.
I'll try a couple of tankfuls of super unleaded,although to be honest I think it runs great. I've also managed to adapt my old 1200wc tankbag to fit.

I've done a couple of hundred miles to-day and really getting used to the bike now,it's a fantastic bit of kit,It sounds daft but it actually feels like I think a motorcycle should feel.

Steve

Topbox..I've adapted my old BMW Adventure top box,works well and looks good.

Hi Al,
Thanks for the info.
I struggle with screen extenders as I don't like looking through the Perspex,but looking at the screen it does look as though it may lend itself to be pushed out 20mm which then pushes the air up inside the screen rather than over the top.(if you look at the new 1200wc screen this is juat what this does and it works.

I've also found the throttle very light and a bit snatchy at low speed.I've tried a throttle rocker today and it improved it quite a bit.
I'll try a couple of tankfuls of super unleaded,although to be honest I think it runs great. I've also managed to adapt my old 1200wc tankbag to fit.

I've done a couple of hundred miles to-day and really getting used to the bike now,it's a fantastic bit of kit,It sounds daft but it actually feels like I think a motorcycle should feel.

Steve

Topbox..I've adapted my old BMW Adventure top box,works well and looks good.

After leaving you, I saw another one in Helmsley - Italian registered and had a good look over it and bumped into Andy - I told him you were enjoying it:D

With the screen extender fitted I have actually dropped the screen down so I am still looking over the top of it, it is nowhere near my sight-line. I think it is just the adjustment of the Wunderlich item allows the air to flow much better than the standard screen.
When I bought the Stelvio I was thinking of something to allow air to pass under the screen (just like the Tobinators did for my GS screen) but the extender has done away with any thought of that idea.

"Start it up and it sounds sublime"

:blast "Sublime" is not a word for motorcycles - it's for Creme Brulee and souffles :ymca

(Sounds like you are enjoying the bike, though...........)

Al :D

Have another look...I think sublime is a word that could be used to describe several aspects or characteristics of a motorcycle.

Steve

1 week... 3 days.... 1000mls into ownership.

Likes....

Engine gearbox and clutch...This bike is actually much quicker than it feels, I've looked down at the speedo on a number of occasions such as just after an overtake and been very surprised at the speed I was doing.

Just spent a few days riding with a mate (ex police rider of 30yrs) on his Triumph explorer.Now he's no slouch when it comes to getting a wriggle on and at no time did the Stelvio feel as though it was having to be worked hard to maintain the pace,a few more gearchanges perhaps ? and was possibly a bit quicker in the twisty bits and definately on the gnarley bits.

Gearbox is just lovely and only the slightest nudge of the clutch is needed for super slick changes up or down.

Suspension and handling.... Suspension is the thing that has surprised me the most,apart from being a little soft on the front end when pushed hard and getting used to the front end dive under heavy breaking it's an absolute joy,the bike is steady and predictable at all times and it soaks up the bumps and rough roads without any harshness at all, I'm actually beginning to prefer the feed back from the front end compared to the slight vagueness of the GS.
The front suspension is fully adjustable but I've not had chance to have a play with it yet.

Brakes... Independent front and rear,which I prefer,feel and stopping power very very good.

Comfort...Whilst slightly vibey at around 4krpm it's in a good way and I quite like it,it never becomes intrusive or oncomfortable,seat is excellent riding position suits me very well. A little cramped in the feet area with a pillion on the back,but nothing a rejig of foot position won't rectify.
Whilst the screen is adequate there is room for improvement and it's the one thing I really miss from the gs wc (that screen is a work of art ).

Dislikes....

Seat...whist very comfortable, it's still, even on the low setting a bit to high for my little legs,but I'm sure this can be addressed.

Throttle.....way,way to sensitive and made town riding a little precarious at times.

This has been fully rectified by removing the grip from the bars smearing a good coating of high temp grease on the bar end an replacing the grip,it's now just about perfect.

Weight.... once on the move the weight just disappears and the bike even at very slow speed is well balanced,but at a standstill or trying to manhandle it around it is one heavy beast.

Overall it's a fantastic bit of kit which I just love riding and the best one word description I can think of is....engaging... which this bike most certainly is.

Did I make the right decision in moving on...you bet your life I did,it's a long time since I've enjoyed owning a bike as much as this one.

Off to Scotland camping for five days in a couple of weeks,so that could be the acid test of it's overall abilities.

Steve

It looks good, nice ongoing reviews too, thanks for that :thumb

I have always liked Guzzis, maybe food for thought there...... ;)

Got a question for Phil if he is reading this, what does Billie think of the pillion accommodation? Does the pillion seat slope forwards?

Back
Top Bottom